• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaw gets his cheap money

Shaw gets his cheap money
    IDB guarantees US$ multimillion loan to GovernmentBy Julian Richardson
    Sunday, October 05, 2008

Finance Minister Audley Shaw announced on Friday that the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) has committed a soft loan of at least US$600 million to Jamaica over a few years, and he used the opportunity to hit back at critics who ridiculed his plan to source low-cost financing.
    Shaw... we are making inroads on the problem of debt
    Shaw, speaking at a Financial Services Commission investment luncheon at the Jamaica Pegasus, said that he initiated the discussions with the IDB at its Washington DC headquarters last year, and the development bank finally made the committment to him last week after meeting with Prime Minister Bruce Golding.
    "When I went to Washington a year ago I started the engagement, and the IDB, after meeting with the Prime Minister, wrote a letter to me committing the IDB to providing between US$100 and US$200 million per year over the next few years," said Shaw.
    Added the minister: "That is to say at least three years and perhaps five years, and that is a potential of at least US$600 million to US$1 billion."
    Shaw said that the interest rate on the loan will be five per cent and the most important condition is that Jamaica must appropriate the kind of policies that are going to be consistent with the forming of structural efficiencies of the economy.
    When Shaw acquired the Finance Ministry portfolio after last year's general election, he outlined a shift in Jamaica's debt strategy to one of increased multilateral borrowing from the International Development Bank (IDB), the Caribbean Development Bank and the World Bank. The minister said that the IDB's committment is a significant step towards untangling Jamaica's severe debt problems, and blasted critics who he said had scoffed at his goals when he came to office.
    "This is a significant committment from the IDB," noted the minister. "Let me remind you that this is five per cent money; not 10 or 12 per cent money as it is on the international capital markets which is likely to get worse now because of the fallout that we are having and it is not 15 per cent money.
    "We are making inroads on the problem of debt. Last year when I said we would be engaging the multilateral institutions, I was laughed at by some and jeered," added Shaw. "I was asked 'Where is the five per cent money?' a few weeks after becoming Finance Minister.... Apart from being irresponsible and cynical, it's just politics."
    Shaw said that the World Bank would also be assisting the country significantly, but did not go into specific details as to not pre-empt that organisation's committment.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magaz...EAP_MONEY_.asp
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

If this is true then it will be significant in terms of keeping some taxpayers money in Ja.

Not even a few days ago Don1 was telling me this is not significant. 600 Million at 5% instead of 10%?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Meanwhile the man that tries to give the impression he knows it all without needing to read etc said, "Cheaper loans?? That's laughable and not even worthy of my time to comment on."

Wow..... he who knows not and knows that he knows not is ..... DON1.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

They need to move in a direction of growing the econony so we can reduce the debt ... the continuous borrowing isn't the answer.

Comment

Hey, it's at 5%. What's the problem?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Good move by Shaw (or his team).

The international capital markets would have required a hell of interest rate from us, especially with the junk rating that our country's debt carries.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              If this is true then it will be significant in terms of keeping some taxpayers money in Ja.

Not even a few days ago Don1 was telling me this is not significant. 600 Million at 5% instead of 10%?
              Why you continue to see things in stark good-bad terms defeats me. Nuance and shades of grey totally escape you.

This is how I explained my position on cheaper loans to you earlier:

your position:
              "Cheaper loan is vital as it help to lessen the amount of interest Jamaica pay on the loans so you can laugh all you want."

My response:
              "That's true.. however you posit this cheaper loans thing as one of your 2 big "hopes" for the country. Even if we get your "cheaper loans" for budget expenditure this will not materially affect the well being of Jamaicans... the impact will be slight since most of the carrying cost of our debt is on our exsisting portfolio.
              If Jamaica was able to refinance a large portion of EXISTING debt at low rates... that would have an impact... however that is neither contemplated nor possible.
              So much for your big "hope" for the country."

What is it about my position that you fail to understand or that you feel is inconsistent with Shaw getting loans on softer terms.. which I have stated is a positive thing but cannot be regarded as a significant "hope" for the country to improve?
              Do you still believe this is a "hope" for the country to be significantly improved? Are you that naive?

I know you try to see the positive in everything the JLP govt does... that's OK.. perhaps... but often means you cannot reason objectively.
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                Meanwhile the man that tries to give the impression he knows it all without needing to read etc said, "Cheaper loans?? That's laughable and not even worthy of my time to comment on."

Wow..... he who knows not and knows that he knows not is ..... DON1.
                With that quote I see you are trying your best to be a Maudib surrogate.

At least you are less distasteful than he is

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                  If Jamaica was able to refinance a large portion of EXISTING debt at low rates... that would have an impact... however that is neither contemplated nor possible.
                  So much for your big "hope" for the country."
                  Who ran up the EXISTING debt? Why was the previous administration unable to negotiate soft loans?

Comment

that was not your first comment on it. You said I fail to comprehend what Jamaica neede and that it is not a hopeful sign.

That was the trust of your initial argument. Ofcourse this is a hope because interest on loan makes a bad situation worst and every cent saved is counted. Coupled with cheaper energy it means a reduction in our balance of payment which is very needed at this moment. It will also result in cheaper energy and lowering of interest rate somewhat.

There is no one solution that is needed to move Jamaica forward and all these moves are helpful. Any economist or financial advisor would tell you that is a very good move by the government.

I am not trying to see the positive things that the JLP does as some of these are just common sense that any government should have done especially since the PNP was in office for 18 years, and they concluded it couldn't be done.

I don't have to look for the positive because both the positive and negitive is there to be seen, but as for you, you have seen nothing positive.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Since even now you don't get it:

that was not your first comment on it. You said I fail to comprehend what Jamaica neede and that it is not a hopeful sign.
                      That was the trust of your initial argument.

You identified 2 things that apparently you had "hope' for presumably for Jamaica to progress... ethanol and cheap loans. I told you in essence that while these things are desirable... they are not the basis for a turnaround in Jamaica's fortunes. I still mainatain that.

Ofcourse this is a hope because interest on loan makes a bad situation worst and every cent saved is counted. Coupled with cheaper energy it means a reduction in our balance of payment which is very needed at this moment. It will also result in cheaper energy and lowering of interest rate somewhat.

What you state here is common knowledge. Is this credible hope for a turnaround? No... not even the GOJ makes that claim.. you apparently do.
                      Your hope is a fantasy.... or maybe you have low expectations of what constitutes hope for the overall economy.

For example.. I demonstrated to you that the maximum effect of the current ethanol policy impact is around 2.5% of oil imports... good but not big enough to change our overall fortunes.
                      The PetroCaribe funding is much bigger than the lower interest multilateral funds projected by Shaw and at only 2% over 25 years with a 2 year moratorium on payments.... that has a much bigger impact on Jamaica' fortunes.

There is no one solution that is needed to move Jamaica forward and all these moves are helpful. Any economist or financial advisor would tell you that is a very good move by the government.

More common knowledge... but also not the point.
                      Of course these things are helpful and positive.. I agreed with the fact that these things are good.. so there is no need to repeat the obvious.

I am not trying to see the positive things that the JLP does as some of these are just common sense that any government should have done especially since the PNP was in office for 18 years, and they concluded it couldn't be done.

I know you always try to see positive in what the current regime does... that's ok.
                      This discussion (for me) is not about comparing PNP and JLP policies... it's about your inference that those 2 policies.. ethanol and cheap loans constitute hope for an economic turnaround.
                      I happen to believe it will take a lot more than that to provide credible hope.

I don't have to look for the positive because both the positive and negitive is there to be seen, but as for you, you have seen nothing positive.

Funny you never mention anything negative resulting from current GOJ action or inaction... that too is ok... I guess you are the eternal optimist where the JLP is concerned.
                      While there are definite positives to the Golding administration's credit.. there is not enough of that to inspire me to comment on yet.
                      I don't feel the need to comment on every issue... only if I feel I have something useful to add to a discussion.
                      Last edited by Don1; October 5, 2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                        Who ran up the EXISTING debt? Why was the previous administration unable to negotiate soft loans?
                        that's not the focus of the debate.

Comment

"Funny you never mention anything negative resulting from current GOJ action or inaction... that too is ok... I guess you are the eternal optimist where the JLP is concerned"

What are you talking about?
                          My policies still remain the same. The difference between me and you is I didn't expect everything to be done in one year. I comment on the leadership of Air Jamaica, on crime and other topics. But of course you wouldn't see that.

In case you don't realise I have said the JLP HAVE DONE NOTHING SPECACULAR since taking power but they have a chance of changing things around. Yes you can pick everything apart that they have been doing but the fact is so far they have done no worse than the PNP and in the last 18 years. The fact is with Gustav, Hurricane Dean, the American credit crunch and Cash plus all in one year, how much did you expect the economy to grow?

Comment

that is a part of the debate because they said it was impossible and laugh at Shaw about it.

Show a lot about some geniuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                              that is a part of the debate because they said it was impossible and laugh at Shaw about it.

Show a lot about some geniuses.
                              I was not debating that... if someone else was... more power to them.

I was responding to your economic hope (hype?) theories.

Comment

Working...
                              X