• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When there is no bread....

... give the people a CIRCUS.

Huge crowds hail athletes
    KIMONE THOMPSON, Observer senior reporter thompsonk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, October 04, 2008

Olympic gold medallists Veronica Campbell-Brown (left) and Shelly-Ann Fraser greet fans during yesterday's motorcade through Kingston, the first event in the seven-day homecoming celebrations for Jamaica's team to the Beijing Olympics. Thousands of Jamaicans flooded the streets of the capital to show their appreciation to the athletes for their magnificent performance at the Olympics. Jamaica won a record 11 medals - six gold, three silver and two bronze - at the games. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)
    Jamaicans flooded the streets of Kingston - the capital city - yesterday to pay homage to the island's athletes who brought home a record 11 medals - six gold, three silver and two bronze - from this year's Olympic Games in Beijing, China, a performance that stunned the world and raised the country's profile in international track and field.
    The city came to life as the thousands of flag-waving, autograph-seeking Jamaicans greeted their Olympians, who travelled around the city on a motorcade consisting of nine trucks.
    Smiles, laughs and 'shout-outs' greeted the Olympians on the 'homecoming motorcade' which started its journey at the Harbour View round-a-bout and slowly wound its way around the city to the National Stadium.
    A section of the large crowd that greeted Jamaica's Olympians as their motorcade made its way through Half-Way-Tree yesterday. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)
    There were those who had left work or school early and there were those who didn't go at all. The unemployed and retired were there, and so too were suckling babes.
    And while most people weren't particular but were excited to see the entire team, there were some who said they came out specifically to see Asafa Powell, some wanted Usain Bolt and some wanted Veronica Campbell-Brown. There were a few others, however, like six-year-old Ashanti Roxbourne of Harbour View Primary School, who weren't sure just why they were out.
    "I come out here on the road to look, to see the cars and trucks," said the little girl. Added another six-year-old: "I want to see Veronica because I love her."
    Prime Minister Bruce Golding (centre) greets triple Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt while 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser is hugged by Minister of Transport Mike Henry at yesterday's function to honour the country's 2008 Olympians at the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston. (Photo: Lionel Rookwood)
    The grade one students were among the large group at the Harbour View round-a-bout who had to endure the brow-beating heat of the sun for two hours more than they planned since the motorcade, scheduled to begin at 11:00 o'clock, didn't get underway until about 1:00 pm. More than a few fans, including high school students and senior citizens were visibly upset with the delay and threatened to go home.
    "This is definitely too long. When I come out here this morning is only di police and di vendor dem did out here. Dat was 'bout 9:30 [or] 10:00 o'clock," one woman was overheard telling another female standing beside her.
    "Everybody must just get bex an go home," said Pamella Williams. "Dem too disrespectful and out of order. Look how long wi stan' up out yah ah wait. Dem tell we 11:00 o'clock and now is afta 12:00."
    However, when the first truck was spotted coming along the Palisadoes Road at 12:54, the disquiet subsided and gave way to glee, excitement, euphoria. The first four trucks had no athletes onboard but they played music and got the crowd doing the 'Nuh Linga', a dance move made popular by triple gold medallist Usain Bolt at the Beijing Games in August.
    The already hyped crowd became more frenzied when they saw 200m gold medallist Veronica Campbell-Brown, 400m hurdles gold medallist Melaine Walker and 100m gold medallist Shelly-Ann Fraser on truck number five; triple gold medallist Bolt and Aileen Bailey on truck number seven; and 4x100m gold medallists Asafa Powell and Michael Frater, as well as several others, on truck number eight.
    The height of the vehicles off the ground made it difficult for fans to touch the athletes, but they ran up alongside the floats and stretched their hands up towards them. Some were satisfied with merely shaking hands, touching fists and rubbing thumbs. Others wanted more and whipped out notebooks, flags, caps and whatever else they could get their hands on to secure signatures.
    The motorcade, which also included six empty buses that had transported the athletes to the airport earlier, travelled along Michael Manley Boulevard, Port Royal Street, Duke Street, Ocean Boulevard, Marcus Garvey Drive, Portia Simpson Miller Square, Hagley Park Road, Hope Road, Trafalgar Road, Knutsford Boulevard before going onto Oxford Road, Tom Redcam Avenue, Arthur Wint Drive and ended in the car park at the National Stadium.
    All along the route, scores of people came out of their offices, business places and schools lining sidewalks, banging empty buckets on rooftops, shouting and applauding through windows. Some captured the moment with camera phones.
    Yesterday's motorcade was part of a seven-day celebration in honour of the entire Jamaican delegation to the Beijing Olympics.
    The motorcade followed a welcome reception at the Norman Manley International Airport where the gold medallists were presented with the Keys to the City of Kingston.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Interesting perspective from which to look at it, Don1. But the fact is that you do have a very interesting point!

All around us the Jamaican economy and society is a decaying one (approaching the status of a failed state?) with very little apparent awareness by those in charge of running the country, but this celebration serves to distract attention, for a few hours, from the magnitude of the socio-economic problems facing Jamaica.

Of course, we're all happy at the immense success of our sprinters (I almost said "athletes"), but running faster than everyone else has limited value in the life of a developing nation!

By the way, looking specifically at this celebration, while I share the immediate enthusiasm, my greater interest is what happens afterwards in the area of genuine sporting development (as opposed to depending solely on Stephen Francis, Glen Mills, and the American-based coaches of Veronica Campbell and Kerron Stewart).

But beyond this hoped-for sports development is an even greater interest in what happens to my beloved country in the face of unending crime, rising poverty, unemployment, cultural chaos and hopelessness!

Maybe, on the other hand, I shouldn't worry, as our beloved marijuana (beloved by some, that is) will apparently always be around to still our pains.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Interesting perspective from which to look at it, Don1. But the fact is that you do have a very interesting point!

All around us the Jamaican economy and society is a decaying one (approaching the status of a failed state?) with very little apparent awareness by those in charge of running the country, but this celebration serves to distract attention, for a few hours, from the magnitude of the socio-economic problems facing Jamaica.

Of course, we're all happy at the immense success of our sprinters (I almost said "athletes"), but running faster than everyone else has limited value in the life of a developing nation!

By the way, looking specifically at this celebration, while I share the immediate enthusiasm, my greater interest is what happens afterwards in the area of genuine sporting development (as opposed to depending solely on Stephen Francis, Glen Mills, and the American-based coaches of Veronica Campbell and Kerron Stewart).

But beyond this hoped-for sports development is an even greater interest in what happens to my beloved country in the face of unending crime, rising poverty, unemployment, cultural chaos and hopelessness!

Maybe, on the other hand, I shouldn't worry, as our beloved marijuana (beloved by some, that is) will apparently always be around to still our pains.
      Thanks for the input Historian.

I share your support for our great athletes and feel that they are more than deserving of celebration... BUT:

For a whole week?? 5 workdays of reduced production??

I don't support that... I believe it's way over the top and a cynical manipulation of the situation for political gain by the powers that be.

Apologists will say that this echoes what previous govts have done... very true.. but.. I can't recall 7 days of islandwide celebrations, motorcades etc for a sporting achievement.. that's a real carnival.. nice but unaffordable in our present crisis.

We should have a great weekend of islandwide celebrations... maybe even starting on a Friday afternoon... when few work anyway.. continuing through Sunday.

That would also be great... and more fitting to our circumstances.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I understand the big dinner last night was an absolute disgrace as some of the athletes had to leave to go get fast food and people who paid up to $10,000 per plate had to wait until near mid night to get a little bit to eat.

I heard that no provision was made to feed the athletes during the day, some of who were taken to the meeting point from as early as 10am.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Not even a likkle chicken nuggets?!? Geez!

And here I was thinking that they covered all the bases, having watched that impressive motorcade, floats and all. Almost made me want to check out carnival next year!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
            I understand the big dinner last night was an absolute disgrace as some of the athletes had to leave to go get fast food and people who paid up to $10,000 per plate had to wait until near mid night to get a little bit to eat. I heard that no provision was made to feed the athletes during the day, some of who were taken to the meeting point from as early as 10am.
            It is at times like these that I fully appreciate that Stephen Francis and his MVP club, and Glen Miller's Racers club, are primarily responsible for our Beijing success!! We should, just maybe, pray that mainstream official Jamaica does not get too involved in the future of our athletes! With incompetence at the highest levels such as highlighted in the quote above, all that would happen would probably be continuously disappointing results.

At this time, my hope is that information such as this dinner effort does not get out into the international news-hungry world! How the sporting world would laugh at the fact that the great sprint power cannot even properly manage an official celebratory dinner! It surely is a disgrace, and surely an example of incompetence, that Jamaica's officials cannot successfully plan and bring to fruition a welcome-home dinner!

Is it any wonder that crime and violence have only increased yearly since the 1970s? Is it any wonder that an entire generation of Jamaicans have known nothing but poverty and struggle? With incompetence apparently being a hallmark of planning and leadership in modern Jamaica, maybe we shouldn't be surprised at these questions!

We should have a great weekend of islandwide celebrations... maybe even starting on a Friday afternoon... when few work anyway.. continuing through Sunday. That would also be great... and more fitting to our circumstances.
            In light of Jamaica's dire economic straits, this idea of yours is one with which I'm forced to agree!

Comment

...and that's why I voted NO for a public holiday

as me thinks mi bredrin Mo has had enough days off since the year started
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
              X