• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The USA - No Place to call Home

Taken from my Shady Pines

-----------------
    No Place to Call Home

Older Homeless in the U.S.

David Robbie, 57, a Vietnam veteran and father of three, has been sleeping in a Santa Barbara parking lot for more than a year. It’s better than being on the street, he says. —Photo by Jose Mandojana

Behind a security gate in the desolate parking lot of a historic church in Santa Barbara, Calif., the grandmother settles in for the night in her Jeep Grand Cherokee. She reads a book, says her prayers and tucks a coat under her head before drifting off to sleep in the back seat.

No one knows she is homeless—not her coworkers at the coffee shop where she earns $8 an hour nor her colleagues at the real estate firm where she spends time each week trying to rebuild a business.

“I figured I’d always have money,” says the woman, 55, who preferred to remain anonymous and recently owned two homes worth nearly $2 million. “I never dreamed this would happen.”

Unable to sell her homes or shoulder the $10,000-a-month mortgage payments, she declared bankruptcy in 2005. A year later, she lost both properties, becoming an early statistic in America’s foreclosure crisis.

Today she epitomizes the changing face of homelessness as a small but growing number of lower- and middle-income Americans—people who never expected to become homeless—are driven out of their homes and onto the street by the nation’s economic turmoil and the record foreclosure rate.

Many of the homeless are over 50. Nan Roman, president of the National Alliance to End Homelessness in Washington, says, “More people are becoming homeless when they’re older, which is new. The programs that inoculated older people against homelessness are not keeping up.”

A national problem
    An estimated 1.6 million people were homeless in America between October 2007 and October 2008. And they are turning up in some unlikely locales. In Kansas’ suburban Johnson County, where residents have the highest median income in the state, a shelter run by the Salvation Army is operating at full capacity and has a waiting list for the first time, says spokeswoman Amanda Waters. In parts of central and south Florida, including Tampa, low- and middle-income workers are increasingly occupying shelters. The same is true in Cleveland, where emergency shelters are housing more people from higher-income exurbs like Brecksville and North Royalton.

Ironically, the thousands of homes and commercial properties lost to foreclosure and abandoned in Cleveland are serving a new purpose—providing shelter for many of the homeless who are trying to stay off the streets, says Brian Davis, executive director of the Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless.

In Los Angeles, hundreds of people are living in their cars because shelters can accommodate only about a third of the city’s estimated 73,000 homeless population, the largest in the nation, says Ruth Schwartz of Shelter Partnership, a local advocacy group. “There are many places you can park a vehicle for long periods of time without being noticed,” she says.

Some 4,000 people age 62 or older in the region are homeless, says Schwartz. Even though nearly two-thirds have a mean monthly income of $773, mainly from Social Security, many can’t make ends meet, since local housing is so expensive.

Dozens of cities have responded to the crisis by making it increasingly difficult, if not illegal, to live on the streets. No-camping and no-sleeping ordinances are pervasive in many municipalities, including Atlantic City, N.J.; Albuquerque, N.M.; Olympia, Wash.; Fresno and Ontario, Calif.; and Miami and Sarasota, Fla. Panhandling has been outlawed or restricted in Lawrence, Kan.; Atlanta; Pittsburgh, Pa.; Akron, Ohio; and Lexington, Ky.

Santa Cruz, Calif., once known for its anything-goes lifestyle, has implemented some of the nation’s harshest laws, says attorney Kate Wells. A “blanket ban,” punishable by fines, makes it unlawful for people living outside to cover themselves with a blanket from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m. Sleeping in cars is illegal during those hours. So is lingering in covered parking lots, where many people seek shelter during bad weather.

“Almost every city in the United States has tried to create new ways to make it illegal to be homeless,” says Davis of the Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless. “Mayors and legislators think you can legislate this out of existence.”

The Santa Barbara solution
    In Santa Barbara, Calif., an ultra-affluent oceanfront city surrounded by mountains, a novel approach is being used to accommodate recently homeless people who are among the more fortunate—they work and can afford cars, gas and insurance and often retain gym memberships for a place to shower.

Every evening, a dozen private and municipal parking lots throughout the city are transformed into relatively safe outdoor lodging for 55 of the estimated 300 homeless people who sleep in their vehicles. Two social workers check the lots each night as part of a safe parking project, run by the local New Beginnings Counseling Center with funding from the city.

Barbara Harvey, left, with her social worker Nancy Kapp. —Photo by Jose Mandojana

For three months, Barbara Harvey, 66, slept in the lot reserved for women only. Propped up by pillows and blankets, Harvey and her two hefty golden retrievers squeezed into the back of her Honda SUV. In August, a friend found her a place in San Luis Obispo, 100 miles away.

A mother of three, Harvey became homeless after she lost her job as a notary and couldn’t afford her $2,150-a-month rent, even with Social Security and a part-time job. But she didn’t want to leave. She was familiar with the city and its resources—so she wound up in the parking lot. “Just having a place to park added stability,” says Harvey. “The dogs were familiar with the area and they didn’t go running off. I felt safe.”

Among her “neighbors” were a 54-year-old woman who shared her compact car with three cats, and a 79-year-old Texan who spoke fondly of her boarding school days.

Gary Linker, executive director of New Beginnings, which modeled the parking program after one in Eugene, Ore., says the high cost of housing in places like Santa Barbara has pushed people into unexpected living situations.

“Communities are recognizing the viability of people living in their vehicles,” he says. “Each may not like it, but when you look at the severe limitations of affordable housing, you’ve got to accept this as an option for people.”

Harvey, like the grandmother in her Jeep, didn’t immediately end up sleeping in her car. Each stayed with relatives, friends and in motels before they ran out of choices.

Nancy Kapp, 50, one of the social workers who checked in on Harvey, was homeless herself years ago when she was raising her daughter.

“Santa Barbara is one of the richest places in the country, and it’s amazing what’s happening here,” says Kapp, shaking her head.

“Poverty has been going on for so long and people ignored it, but now it’s hitting the middle class, and people are paying attention. We should’ve been trying to find solutions years ago.” Review!

http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourmoney/p...call_home.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I am sorry but I always have a hard time buying these middle class homeless stories.

This woman had $2 million in real estate, was paying $10,000/month in mortgages, and now she is homeless with an $8 an hour job and no way out?

Oh, and she still has a Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Total bullsh!it. She is homeless by choice and not because she has to be. Probably does not want to live in a community with too many minorites and blue collar workers.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

no Island a nuh so it go.

I could give you a story but it too close to home. When trouble tek you pickney shut fit you. Many of us have think were were in better position than we were and it came tumbling, no more home equity, nothing nah sell.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        I am sorry but I always have a hard time buying these middle class homeless stories.

This woman had $2 million in real estate, was paying $10,000/month in mortgages, and now she is homeless with an $8 an hour job and no way out?

Oh, and she still has a Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Total bullsh!it. She is homeless by choice and not because she has to be. Probably does not want to live in a community with too many minorites and blue collar workers.
        Can happen. The jeep paid off. The houses were on 'crazy mortgages' e.g. 'pick-a-pay or some such thing...with a hard money or other high interest 2nd making the entire loan a 80%-90% or 100% deal. Remember many bought/gambled on...plunged in big real estate 'investments' as the market tanked. ...and as the story said she couldn't find buyers.

Most middle class families/persons live one or two paychecks from disaster. What is she a realtor? Many of those have made $10,000 or less in the last 12 months. In that 'vocation' in good times...good times...only 5% make more than $40,000 per year. 90% are under $25,000 per year...suit and car and staving! - Turnover in that line of work is astonishing.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos120.htm#earnings
        Last edited by Karl; October 3, 2008, 11:00 AM.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I am not disputing that. I am saying she does not have to be homeless as a result. She is homeless by CHOICE, because she does not want to live where she can afford the rent.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Jeep paid off? Great!

Sell the jeep, buy a $2000 old jallopy car and use the rest to get a place to rent short term until you get things in order.

Homeless by CHOICE!

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              I am not disputing that. I am saying she does not have to be homeless as a result. She is homeless by CHOICE, because she does not want to live where she can afford the rent.
              It is usually a choice on whether or not one lives as homeless...as there are always many variables going into the decision on what to do when 'things go wrong'. ...but that holds true for every class.

Comment

Well, I am not sure I agree with that.

Some people are homeless because they are victims of drug abuse, domestic violence, extreme poverty with no safety net. The options they have are on the street or maybe a shelter.

But in this case the woman is trying to maintain a public image as a successful reator with a nice vehicle and nice clothes,. Nothing WRONG with that if that is her choice but it is not nearly the same as someone who is REALLY homeless.

Comment

Unable to sell her homes or shoulder the $10,000-a-month mortgage payments, she declared bankruptcy in 2005. A year later, she lost both properties, becoming an early statistic in America’s foreclosure crisis.
                  I don't care how much money yuh mek, carrying a $10,000 a month mortgate to me, is a recipe for disaster.
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                  X