Gov’t coffers need US$200mil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov’t coffers need US$200mil

There are growing fears that the government's plan to raise more than US$200 million on the international capital market is in jeopardy.
    The money is needed to finance the 2008/2009 Budget.
    With no end in sight to the global economic crisis, local financial observers say the Golding administration will definitely be hard-pressed to meet this target.

Lissant Mitchell, Senior Vice President at Scotia DBG says the United States financial meltdown poses more than one challenge.
    He said the recent spate of buy-outs and mergers has reduced the list of US financial firms which normally helped Jamaica to raise low-cost funds overseas.

"Some of the big name firms who would have been on the shortlist that the government would have used or try and put deals together have all gone ... that would be a little concerning as to how the government is going to raise that US$200 million and if they raise that in the local market, what implications would you have for local interest rates," said Mr. Mitchell.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/11973/52/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Ooooooooooooh it's printing time again....
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I don't understand you. The subprime mess is affecting the US and all over and you are acting as if this is not an emergency case especially for little Jamaica after your government put us in so much debt over the last 18 years.

What you expect a magic wand?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Run to the Chinese!

Comment

you nuh think Chan, and all the Chiney man them can find nuh on dem way to China already
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

We're all in dis together

The chiney dem have dem problem too

As the song seh "the more we are together the happier we shall be' only in this case the MISERABLEST we've been
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

In that case get rid of Bush faaast.

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                The chiney dem have dem problem too

As the song seh "the more we are together the happier we shall be' only in this case the MISERABLEST we've been
                Their big problem is that the hold too many US dallaz!

This is what our Govt is seeking, so...

The Chinese would be better off lending Jamaica than buying even MORE T'Bills. Especially if its tied to juicy assets like the Port of Kingston!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X