No announcement yet.

Ja slips 12 places on corruption index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well certainly the pnp presided over the escalation in corruption. one has to be in a position of power to be corrupt...the scarce benefits argument...the US government also has corruption .....

but if yuh nuh have nuh power how can you offer scarce benefits?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

the problem is your party president said it wasn't corruption, that is the big difference.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

We agree on that. Of course the PJ-Gov was too lax on it BUT it ws a combination of that with WILLING conspirators of BOTH parties as well as non-party affilliates that saw the INSTITUTIONALIZATION of corruption in Jamaica. Now children start to born corrupt....in the genes now...natural selection...if yu no corrupt, yu cyan survive, yu cyan eat a food.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
          ...thought we were stamping out corruption?

Ja slips 12 places on corruption index

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jamaica has been ranked the 96th most corrupt country in the world by the German-based Trans-parency International (TI), down from an 84th ranking last year.
          The organisation surveyed 180 countries for its 2008 Corruption Perception Index (CPI) and ranks countries according to the degree to which politicians and public officials are perceived to be corrupt by business leaders and non-resident analysts.
          According to TI, the index highlights the fatal link between poverty, failed institutions and graft, but also indicates that the strength of oversight mechanisms is at risk among the wealthiest nations.
          "The continuing high levels of corruption and poverty plaguing many of the world's societies amount to an ongoing humanitarian disaster and cannot be tolerated. But even in more privileged countries, with enforcement disturbingly uneven, a tougher approach to tackling corruption is needed," said the TI report which was released yesterday.
          Countries on the CPI are scored on a scale of 0-10, with 0 being the most corrupt and 10 being the least. Jamaica's 96th ranking and 3.1 score tied it with African countries Gabon, Mali, and Benin, Guatemala in Central America and Kiribati in the Pacific.
          Denmark, Sweden and New Zealand were rated the least corrupt in 2008 followed by Singapore, with Somalia rated the world's most corrupt country scoring 1.0.
          Zimbabwe, burdened by hyper-inflation and political strife, is ranked at 166 scoring 1.8. In the Caribbean St Lucia is ranked the least corrupt at 21 with a score of 7.1 followed by Barbados at 22 with 7.0.
          Haiti, the least developed Caricom (Caribbean Community) country and one of the poorest in the world, ranked 177 with a rating of 1.4. The US ranks at 18, tied with Japan and Belgium and behind the United Kingdom at 16 and Canada at nine.
          I reject this research outright. It has not increased. The amount of police that are now before the courts is unprecedented. The commitment to fiscal discipline is impressive. Tax revenues are up dramatically. The appointment of Mr. Walker at customs is timely and is working. To name a few examples. The perception of corruption to my mind has decreased from a year ago.

Comment

agree on everything you say. I am not very concern about party, more concern with LEADERSHIP. Both parties in Jamaica currently running the basic economic system but it need cleaning and if you can't accept the fact that there is corruption then there is no way you can deal with it.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You are talking about "perception" from your "unbiased" view. Unfortunately (or fortunately) this is not how the CPI is done. It is painfully obvious that bringing more police before the courts, 'commitment to fiscal discipline' and increase in rax revenues have not had the significant impact or result that you envisaged, not to mention the appointment of one person at customs.
              What do the Germans know about Jamaica anyways?

Comment

well it could be that the more cops before the courts has the opposite effect....i.e. rather than prove the fight against corruption, it increases the perception of it? mi really nuh know.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Hopefully we don't have our politicians arguing about some fool fool index. Let us hope they focus on removing the corruption as opposed to some regression analysis and whether we move a couple points.

Comment

they won't , same index used in campaigning before will be used again

Comment

At worse, the situation is the same. For the score to slip down is a joke. I makes a mockery of the survey.

Anyway, Exile is right...we should concentrate and actually improving things and not on possibly misinformed surveys. The prime customer to satisfy are the Jamaican people.

Comment

why are they now misinformed, when they weren't before

Comment

you mean them pry the lid open and the Germans see what in there and say DAMN.

Just saw in the yesterday that some cops and customs officer involve in drugs smuggling.

Comment

Corrupt then corrupt now, nutten nuh change, man still have the same intention

1. Good House
                              2. Good Car
                              3. Good Money

If yuh caan get it here then run go a farin, and I mean anywhere in the world other than Ja.

Comment

Originally posted by 1of1 View Post
                                why are they now misinformed, when they weren't before
                                Dunno.

What I do know is that these guys SEEM to be doing more than the set before.

Can YOU honestly say that corruption has gotten WORSE in the last year...with a straight face?
                                I didnt think so...

Comment

Working...
                                X