Ja slips 12 places on corruption index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ja slips 12 places on corruption index

...thought we were stamping out corruption?

Ja slips 12 places on corruption index

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jamaica has been ranked the 96th most corrupt country in the world by the German-based Trans-parency International (TI), down from an 84th ranking last year.
    The organisation surveyed 180 countries for its 2008 Corruption Perception Index (CPI) and ranks countries according to the degree to which politicians and public officials are perceived to be corrupt by business leaders and non-resident analysts.
    According to TI, the index highlights the fatal link between poverty, failed institutions and graft, but also indicates that the strength of oversight mechanisms is at risk among the wealthiest nations.
    "The continuing high levels of corruption and poverty plaguing many of the world's societies amount to an ongoing humanitarian disaster and cannot be tolerated. But even in more privileged countries, with enforcement disturbingly uneven, a tougher approach to tackling corruption is needed," said the TI report which was released yesterday.
    Countries on the CPI are scored on a scale of 0-10, with 0 being the most corrupt and 10 being the least. Jamaica's 96th ranking and 3.1 score tied it with African countries Gabon, Mali, and Benin, Guatemala in Central America and Kiribati in the Pacific.
    Denmark, Sweden and New Zealand were rated the least corrupt in 2008 followed by Singapore, with Somalia rated the world's most corrupt country scoring 1.0.
    Zimbabwe, burdened by hyper-inflation and political strife, is ranked at 166 scoring 1.8. In the Caribbean St Lucia is ranked the least corrupt at 21 with a score of 7.1 followed by Barbados at 22 with 7.0.
    Haiti, the least developed Caricom (Caribbean Community) country and one of the poorest in the world, ranked 177 with a rating of 1.4. The US ranks at 18, tied with Japan and Belgium and behind the United Kingdom at 16 and Canada at nine.

And what do you think now?

is Jamaica really more corrupt now than a year ago?

Just asking.

Comment

isn't falling down the list a good thing where corruption is concerned?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Does not matter Willi...

But I would like the opportunity to stand before the Jamaican parliament and ask: "all those who are corrupt...please raise your hand".

(...i wonder how many would putt-up them hann )

Furthermore, i would really love to hear the governments' view on the survey wrt the ranking.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

OF course you are just asking. Jamaica remains as corrupt as corrupt can be!

Comment

It will be a long time before there is any dent in corruption, and the PNP is largely responsible for the mess that we are in. I have not seen any credible moves by the JLP to reduce corruption.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Idon't even want to blame political parties alone for the mess we are in...Jamaican BUSINESSMEN, LAWYERS, BANKERS....and the list goes on....doing business in Jamaica is all gray area....

Comment

It is not blaming the party. The difference is the PNP blatantly looked the other way.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well the survey said its getting worse and you imply its is the SAME....so!
                  Last edited by Willi; September 25, 2008, 10:23 AM.

Comment

No. The most corrupt is at the bottom of this list.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Let me ask you this...were the people involved in corruption in Jamaica all PNP party members? Do they as Jamaicans have any responsibility to say NO? Do they expose corruption, corrupt practices? Thing is corruption has become such a partof teh Jamaican landscape, that we don't even recognize it for what it is naymore...it just blends in with fabric of life...

Comment

damn!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I know! Isn't there a universal rule for these things!?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                            Let me ask you this...were the people involved in corruption in Jamaica all PNP party members? Do they as Jamaicans have any responsibility to say NO? Do they expose corruption, corrupt practices? Thing is corruption has become such a partof teh Jamaican landscape, that we don't even recognize it for what it is naymore...it just blends in with fabric of life...

You're wasting your time!
                            When I said before the elections that corruption was rampant and crossed party lines all the JLPites tried to kill me. They will not change now! It would not matter to them if every JLP Member of Parliament went to jail for corruption...it would be, in their minds PNP's fault! Wen dem bline, dem bline fi tru!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

they are not all PNP.

What you need is leadership to say we will not support it.

Not leaders that say THERE IS NO CORRUPTION when it staring you in your face, or call it other names. The PNP had a long run, an oppurtunity more than once to take drastic action and they failed more than once or twice.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X