X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFJ worker found dead in storage closet; suicide suspected

JFJ worker found dead in storage closet; suicide suspected

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

STAFF at the office of human rights organisation, Jamaicans for Justice, were crestfallen Monday after the discovery of the body of former library worker, Quinton Smellie, who was found in a storage room at the JFJ's ************an Avenue headquarters in Kingston.

The police suspect suicide.

Smellie, who was affectionately called 'Kirk', was found in a locked room with a fire burning in a coal pot. Police said it appeared that Smellie died from smoke inhalation.

JFJ co-convenor, Susan Goffe, was beside herself with grief Monday, as she recalled that Smellie had faced mental challenges and was struggling with depression.

"He had a mental problem and he was depressed," Goffe, who struggled to remain calm, told the Observer.

Smellie's death had a devastating effect on the staff at the human rights organisation, and some wore glum expressions while others fought back tears. Head of JFJ, Dr Carolyn Gomes, described Smellie as a dutiful worker who always gave his best.

"He was a very meticulous, hard-working, honest and efficient person in the organisation and it is really hard to lose him. We are all very, very sad," Gomes said.

Smellie started out as a volunteer at JFJ six years ago before being enrolled on staff a few months later. He resigned from his post a few months ago but was asked to stay on and train other staff members at the JFJ.

A post-mortem will officially determine the cause of death.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Mosiah - why you didn't post this

RIP Smellie
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Can't post what I don't have.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh don't read the papers; furthermore isn't that your org?

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Can't post what I don't have.
        thought you were a honorable memba
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

I got an email that he had died. I thought it was some illness. I didn't see the need to post that on the site. But this apparent suicide is a whole different thing.

I haven't been to a JFJ meeting in about 2 years! Still love them doh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

back-slidahh...
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
            X