Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Street economy

Main Street Economy

I went to the supermarket on Saturday and in one isle I saw a lady who said “hi” to me with a beautiful smile. I replied and she said “prices are certainly rising. We started talking and she was telling me how she got her house foreclose on six months ago as her husband developed cancer and was laid off shortly after. She said her house was on the market for nearly a year, without a solid offer even though they had equity in it and was willing to give that up. She spoke about her struggle but said she had the one thing that is important and that is her husband. I had to end the argument as I had my sons with me and we had to go. I told her I would pray for her even before I prayed for myself. This story hit me as the lady was not looking for anything but just wanted to share her story. She also stated she was a nurse for 20 years before having to retire for health reasons.

My wife called me to tell me to stop at the nearest gas station as there is no gas in Atlanta or suburbs. I know it may not be a long lasting thing but it could be a sign of things to come. I had to drive around a little as many of the stations had no gas and the ones that had only had regular.

On my way driving around I saw so many stores and shops closed and for rent signs. Many small business people have gone out business and this is affecting employment. The recession in the black community may have started at least a year ago. I am concern and will say a prayer for all mi ites especially the ones who I have not seen in a while who are chance taker and entrepreneurs, the families with young ones and with health problem because it is ruff times and at times we joke. I may not be as religious as others but I pray and I hope things will improve soon.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Yes it getting tough out there for a lot of people. Unfortunately I think it will be getting worse before it gets better regardless of who wins the election. Obama has wisely started to back off on the promises he made, saying they would have to be done at a slower pace than he would have liked.

I would advice people to try and get some cash saved up, 3 to 6 months wages if possible as even the safest jobs are not safe if any kind of financial meltdown takes place. If the govt did not step in last week and promise a bailout it is almost certain than companies would have had a problem making payroll this week simply because the banks would have had NO money.

That said, I still see people getting excited and lining up for next generation ipods, so things can't be that bad yet even though the storm clouds are circling.

When these unnecessary consumer goods are no longer of interest to the average US consumer then we are in real trouble.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Assasin: in my 'neck of the woods' there are some stations that gas gouging takes place. Things will get back to normal by next week.

We are doing well so far. Fortunately, the business has been growing...

Being and entrepreneur is not for the faint of heart. Islandman mentioned that one should have up to 6 months wages in case of an emergency. In the business world most folks it seems start without a financial 'safety-net'. This is critical 'specially during the first few years.

Two days ago i saw some workers who lost their job because of the financial melt down. They were walking out with boxes carrying their 'belongings'. It confirmed that my decision to leave the corporate world a few years ago-- was a good one.
      Last edited by HL; September 24, 2008, 03:38 PM.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

That was a very reflective post Assasin. I am personally feeling the direct effects of this financial crisis. Luckily for me, I am blessed with a good wife who works and supports me emotionally. As HL said, being an entreprenuer is not for the faint-hearted. Being in the mortgage business, I have known people whose credit scores have gone down froo 800 to 400's; friends who have lost their jobs and have been unemployed for over a year.

You know we are in a depression when your wait time at the Cheesecake Factory is less than 20 minutes.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

well the fact that your are there....good for you.

in this neck of the woods we feel it at the pump with plane fares and with every conceivable consumer item!!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

There where... Cheesecake Factory? No sah, a one news article me memba reading de odder day!!! At the rate how things declining, me might haffi go back to de days of eating "turn cornmeal".
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

The Cheesecake Factory!!

They have those in New Jersey too. Can't recall seeing any in the south.

But yes Jangle...those places were packed 'specially on week ends!!

"Tough times NEVER last...only tough people do".
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
              X