X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Arise & Renew’ to resign

Arise & Renew’ to resign Tuesday,

23 September 2008

Defeated candidate in Saturday's Presidential race in the People's National Party, (PNP), Dr Peter Phillips has resigned all his posts in the party.

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }RJR News sources reported Tuesday morning that Dr Phillips had relinquished his roles as Leader of Opposition business in the House and Opposition Spokesman on National Security in the Portia Simpson-Miller-led Shadow Cabiinet.

RJR News received confirmation that all but one of the ‘Arise and Renew' campaign members who backed Dr. Phillips, and who held positions in the Opposition Shadow Cabinet, would be tendering their resignation.

Campaign members who held Parliamentary roles would also give up these positions.

Most of the resignation letters will be submitted to the PNP Secretariat Tuesday, with a statement expected from ‘Arise and Renew' Tuesday morning.

On Monday, RJR News first reported that several members of the ‘Arise and Renew' campaign were calling it quits as spokespersons for the party.

The first was Dean Peart who stepped down as Spokesman on Local Government.

Dr. Peter Phillips will relinquish his position as Leader of Opposition business in the House of Representatives and Opposition Spokesman on National Security.

It could not be ascertained whether he will be attending Tuesday afternoon's session of Parliament.

Among the others who intend to quit their positions are spokespersons Sharon Hay Webster, Dr. Donald Rhodd and Maxine Henry-Wilson.

Opposition parliamentary whip Fitz Jackson is also to resign from that position.

Meanwhile, Rosemarie Shaw will officially resign as Caretaker/candidate for Western St. Thomas Tuesday morning.

Miss Shaw has pointed to basic incompatibility between herself and Mrs. Simpson-Miller as being at the heart of her decision.

Wykeham to stay

The only ‘Arise and Renew' spokesperson who will not be resigning is Dr. Wykeham McNeil.

Dr. McNeil told RJR News that he will meet with Mrs. Simpson-Miller before making a decision.

"I have not resigned from any position in the party ... I remain a loyal and committed member of the PNP," he said.

‘Dirty Labourite!'

Meanwhile, the spate of resignations could increase in coming days.

Oliver Clue, former Member of Parliament for East Rural St. Andrew and Councillor for the Harbour View Division, could be added to the list of persons stepping away from active roles in the PNP.

Mr. Clue was a supporter of Dr. Phillips' ‘Arise and Renew' campaign.

He told our news centre that he will indicate on Friday whether he will be resigning from the Party's National Executive Council.

Mr. Clue is also considering stepping down as Chairman of the Harbour View Division and as a member of the constituency executive for East Rural St. Andrew.

He admitted that he has been left in an uncomfortable position due to his strong support for Dr. Phillips.

"Due to the circumstances where comrade Phillips announced his candidacy at my Divisional conference, I came under severe pressure for that and due to an incident which happened on Saturday, where a comrade in the presence of comrade Jennifer Edwards could look at me and say I'm a dirty Labourite, I really decided that I will be having discussion with the leader of my division, the leadership of my constituency and friends," he said.

Resignations not unusual - Coore

David Coore, veteran member of the PNP says there is nothing unusual about some members of the Shadow Cabinet calling it quits following Saturday's Presidential Election.

Mr. Coore said their resignations will give the PNP President a free hand to reshuffle the Shadow Cabinet.

Veteran member of the PNP, who was speaking on RJR's daily current affairs discussion programme Beyond the Headlines on Monday, said the PNP will be in a stronger position to reorganise and become an effective Opposition when the dust settles.

Not part of the team

And Dr. Omar Davies, member of the Shadow Cabinet says the PNP can do without comrades who decide to walk away from the Party because of the outcome of Saturday's presidential election.

Dr. Davies said it would not be in the best interest of the party to try to persuade these persons to see things differently.

However, he said statements made by some supporters of Dr. Peter Phillips about relinquishing their support for the party on Saturday were made in the heat of the moment.

"I don't believe someone who (holds the notion) that it's either my way or the highway to be part of a team ... a lot of harsh words were said, but these things were said in the heat of the moment," he said.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/11817/26/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    "Due to the circumstances where comrade Phillips announced his candidacy at my Divisional conference, I came under severe pressure for that and due to an incident which happened on Saturday, where a comrade in the presence of comrade Jennifer Edwards could look at me and say I'm a dirty Labourite
    Dirty Labourite? I am sure the comrade said he was a DUTTY labourite!!

Nonetheless, from the way this is playing out so far it appears that the PNP is miles ahead of the JLP as a democratic political organization. Pity they can't transfer some of this party love and loyalty to thier govt positions when they occupy them.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Hmm....well they are doing the right thing.....at last! If that could trickle accross the floor now...

Comment

Why is it people on this forum cannot address the ills of the PNP without sugarcoating it by pointing finger at the other party? When the infighting was in the JLP everybody had the balls to knock them ... suh why no one is being as out spoken as before?

Yesterday Fitz Jackson was locked out his constituency office ... I guess there was no way to point finger across the floor.

As Tilla said in the football forum the other day, "prespective is a hell of a thing!"
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          Why is it people on this forum cannot address the ills of the PNP without sugarcoating it by pointing finger at the other party? When the infighting was in the JLP everybody had the balls to knock them ... suh why no one is being as out spoken as before?

Yesterday Fitz Jackson was locked out his constituency office ... I guess there was no way to point finger across the floor.

As Tilla said in the football forum the other day, "prespective is a hell of a thing!"
          LoL

I agree.

PNP is on bad shape now. Orrett may just call a snap election based on that fact.

Comment

Lazie to me it is apples and oranges. There is infighting in the PNP as would be expected in any challenge to an incumbent leader, but compared to the JLP leadership war it is civil, at least publicly.

I will never forget watching a diehard labourite like Pearnel and his supporters forcibly restrained from attending the JLP conference to challenge Eddie.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              Lazie to me it is apples and oranges. There is infighting in the PNP as would be expected in any challenge to an incumbent leader, but compared to the JLP leadership war it is civil, at least publicly.

I will never forget watching a diehard labourite like Pearnel and his supporters forcibly restrained from attending the JLP conference to challenge Eddie.
              No doubt ... I guess everybody can present a story about the JLP's civil war. The point I'm making is that the infighting within the PNP was treated as "hot patty" round here. It was reported that one man's gun ... (what was the phrase used?) .. "was exposed!!" .... but I guess because its the beloved PNP ... certain things off limits.

Comment

Islandman part of the reason you are not seeing that is the Media. Why is it you think the PNP put a media block out on their members running up to the election? Nobody could talk to the press?

Why don't we see pictures of the lock out MPs going to their offices and see how people behaving?

The fact is it is not as clean and civil as it is been portrait.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Very democratic actions...gives the leader a free hand to ask some to return and others "Thanks for service rendered over the years...I shall certainly turn to you for advice. You are all treasure troves of wisdom that the party and Jamaica cannot afford to not use. There is an open door for you to enter and give of your advice! Walk good!"
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

and last pnp election? how many resigned?

after the pnp election they did not resign because the general election was looming and they wanted portia to lose so that they could "arise and renew" their campaign for leadership and so there would be only a short stint by portia.

this time, they have played the hand and failed (again) and in so doing are exposed. PLUS they could not afford to gamble that portia would be so forgiving this time although she may need them.

for all her hugs and love, IMHO portia has already displayed she does not have the aptitude for leadership and she is not going to develope it at almost 70 years of age, not unlike mccain.

mccain was not a very smart man and had to rule out a military career (not because of his injuries) because he did not have ability to lead he still does not have the ability to lead and his no smarter now than he was then ...... look at his VP selection..not so much who it is as how it was done (he only met her once and had only spoken to her once before he chose her)...anyway... i digress

the difference this time

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

So are you saying McCains leadership skills were too poor for a military career, and so he became a politican and is now running for president and commander in chief!!!

Wow. The scary thing is that it is probably true!

Comment

He was in the bottom 5% of his class. Known as a real hothead.

Comment

Again, he is hailed as a hero for being shot down and held as a POW. How do we know that it wasn't his own stupid fault why that happened?

How about the other pilots that returned to base? Why are they not superheros?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X