RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geof Brown dies from cancer (newspaper columnist)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geof Brown dies from cancer (newspaper columnist)

Geof Brown dies from cancer

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

SOCIAL worker and newspaper columnist Geoffrey 'Geof'Brown', passed away in hospital yesterday. He was suffering from lymphoma - a type of cancer that affects the white blood cells. He was 78.

Brown's professional career spanned some 55 years and several disciplines. At the time of his passing, he was a retired senior lecturer at the School of Continuing Studies at the University of the West Indies and a human resource development and management consultant. He also penned weekly columns for the Observer.

He was also serving as honorary consul for Botswana in Jamaica and was very active in his community.

"It was just very, very quick," his daughter Allison Hickling told the Observer last night. "He was diagnosed on Thursday, admitted on Friday and by this afternoon he was dead," she said.

Hickling, the youngest of Brown's five daughters, said her father had been ailing for some time but was not diagnosed for cancer. His daughter said he had a rash on his skin that wouldn't go away and then he became increasingly weak but it was the swelling of his lymph nodes that gave it away.

She described her dad as an amazing father who always put family first and who was always there when it mattered. "He was such a lovely man," Brown's widow Janet said sadly. "First of all he was my best friend and he was a wonderful father to his children."

Brown was a member of several professional organisations at home and abroad. Among them were the Jamaica Institute of Management; the Institute of Management Consultants of Jamaica and the Bid Brothers of Metropolitan Toronto in Canada. He founded the Caribbean Network for Integrated Rural Development (CNIRD) in Trinidad and was a founding board member of the Human Employment and Resource Training (HEART) National Training Agency in Jamaica.

He also worked on projects for the UNICEF, Jamaica Social Investment Fund and the Women's Centre of Jamaica Foundation.

Brown was awarded the Order of Distinction for outstanding contribution to Social and Community Development in 2004, the same year he was appointed honorary consul for Botswana.

In addition to wife Janet and daughter Allison, Brown's other children - Ann-Marie Thompson, Gennevive Kibble, Nadine Brown-Snow and Carole Bailey - and his eight grandchildren have been left to mourn his passing.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

wow... omg... that was sudden... i used to enjoy reading his columns... i will miss him...

my condolences to his family...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
      wow... omg... that was sudden... i used to enjoy reading his columns... i will miss him...

my condolences to his family...
      Mico man! ...gave a great address at a JFRA Annual Awards Dinner!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

was he jamaican by birth?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          was he jamaican by birth?

Wah yuh mean born of Jamaican parentage?

...or...

Born a yaard?

...or...

or under any of the circumstances than defines one as Jamaican at birth?

Yuh a lawyer suh mi fraid dis yah a trick question!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

wtf ..... was he born in jamaica. how much more clear can it be?!!!

yuh getting parro yuh nuh....is all those "GOP rallies" you've been attending in davie....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              wtf ..... was he born in jamaica. how much more clear can it be?!!!

yuh getting parro yuh nuh....is all those "GOP rallies" you've been attending in davie....
              I do not know!
              Never thought of asking...but I can ask his good friend Horace Lewis? mek mi sen waan e-mail now!

Comment

...and since lawya never walk straight -

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Wah yuh mean born of Jamaican parentage?

...or...

Born a yaard?

...or...

or under any of the circumstances than defines one as Jamaican at birth?

Yuh a lawyer suh mi fraid dis yah a trick question!
                U think him twisting yuh
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                  U think him twisting yuh
                  im tricky yuh si!

Comment

who? mi?!!! i'm soooooo misunderstood!

Comment

Working...
                    X