• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Int'l bidders for Roger Steffens' 'All-things-reggae' collec

Int'l bidders for Roger Steffens' 'All-things-reggae' collection
    Basil Walters, Observer staff reporter
    Friday, September 19, 2008

Roger Steffens
    Approximately a year ago, when news surfaced that a vast amount of archival material on Jamaica's pop music stored in the record library of the now defunct Jamaica Broadcasting Corporation (JBC), went missing, Roger Steffens' expansive cache of memorabilia, branded All-Things-Reggae, offered a ray of hope.
    Expectation was high that Steffens' reggae souvenirs collected over some three decades, occupying six of the rooms at his Los Angeles home, would have gone a far way in replacing the stolen items from the JBC's record library.
    From all indications at the time of writing, that is not to be.
    After several failed attempts by the distinguished reggae aficionado to give the home of reggae an opportunity to own their reservoir of historical "keepsakes", he is now attracting the interest of international bidders.
    Roger Steffens may not be "the world's leading authority on Jamaican music," as Garry Steckles claims in his article 'Reggae Riches in the Bargain Basement', appearing in the current edition of Caribbean Beat magazine (the BWIA's inflight publication), but he is perhaps the world's number one reggae fan, if nothing else.
    The Brooklyn, New York- born actor, author, lecturer, photographer, editor, broad-caster, reggae activist based in Los Angeles, is best known for his reggae archives which is reputedly inclusive of the world's largest collection of Bob Marley material.
    The former Vietnam war veteran has written on reggae for numerous international publication including his own Beat magazine, as well as hosted and co-hosted countless reggae radio programmes in America including KCRW Reggae Beat International from 1983 until 1987, with worldwide syndication to
    130 stations.
    Driven by his passion for reggae music, Roger's or Rojah Steffens as he is sometimes called affectionately, most recent project is Reggae Scrapbook which he co-authored with photojournalist Peter Simon.

His burning desire was for his reggae archives to find its rightful home in Jamaica where it truly belongs. But as Steckles states in his article, "He's spent seven frustrating and ultimately unsuccessful years of trying to ensure that the archives... find a permanent home where he believes they belong: In Jamaica."
    Roger Steffens' unsuccessful efforts to bargain for Jamaican ownership for his enormous "All-Things-Reggae" collection, included a major private sector interest as well as an attempt by officialdom. One Observer source said in each attempt the cost was not affordable.
    When contacted, Steffens told this reporter, "I'm really not ready to go public with any of this right now, but I suppose Garry's article has blown my cover. Discussions are in progress with several interested parties."
    Asked what was his vision for starting his over 30 years collection, the widely travelled reggae historian said, "My vision has long been that it should have been the founding collection of the National Museum of Jamaican music."
    Obviously disappointed, he added, "I am 66 years of age, and the archive is what I built instead of investing in a portfolio of stocks or bonds. The collection has become so massive that it has become too much work for me to maintain, and it belongs to a massive audience, in a way that only an institution can supply."
    Then when pressed for a sales figure, Roger Steffens said, "It would obviously have to be a seven-figure deal, I think anyone who's ever been to LA and seen the Reggae Archives would agree with that."
    Responding to the question if he feels that Jamaica can afford to strike such a deal at this point in time, Steffens countered, "I fully appreciate the fact that Jamaica is impoverished. But the fact that no private funds could be added to bring the offer up to a barely acceptable price, made a deal impossible."
    And who are the interested bidders?
    "The parties are inter-national. That's all I have to say at this point. Things are delicate, and I don't want anything to happen to screw things up."
    Nine thousand reggae records, about a third of which are autographed by the artistes involved. Five thousand reggae, ska and rocksteady CDS, two thousand hours of videos and DVDs, more than 10,000 hours of cassette tape recordings including rare interviews, plus an unlimited number of live shows and more than 120 cubic feet of newspaper and magazine clippings . this is just a sample of the musical treasure of which Jamaica will be deprived. As Garry Steckles said in his article, "The goodies up for grabs are enough to make any self-respecting reggae fan drool."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

~sigh~

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sad sad sad and JBC dash way fi dem.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

mi shame

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          mi shame
          We should all be. My elder bredrin who use to work at JBc said after Bob died dem could hardly find any of his music in their archives. Marcus Garvey was our first national hero because why?. Sometimes you have to give the One Don his due.

Comment

shame?...you?...shame!!??

Noticed that all yuh employee coulda do is ~sigh~!!

Anyway:

Several years ago, (when I used to read the Jamaican newspapers on line)--I read where several historical artifacts, including the oldest bridge (somewhere in St. Elizabeth I think) were being demolished.

I was gobsmacked!

I am always awed at how the europeans (especially)-- preserve their heritage. No need to go into examples.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
              shame?...you?...shame!!??

Noticed that all yuh employee coulda do is ~sigh~!!

Anyway:

Several years ago, (when I used to read the Jamaican newspapers on line)--I read where several historical artifacts, including the oldest bridge (somewhere in St. Elizabeth I think) were being demolished.

I was gobsmacked!

I am always awed at how the europeans (especially)-- preserve their heritage. No need to go into examples.
              One has to first appreciate and ackowledge their heritage before preserving it. Probably some of those who don't appreciate think that nothing of value comes out of Jamaica.

Comment

like patois....e.g?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

....why don't you 'rite a law text book in patois?

It could be used at UWI (among otherplaces).

HL

Comment

if i had the resources i would certanly commission it ... i am not a writer of books.

same way if i had the resources i would purchase steffens collection...

next....

Comment

We can start throw partner.

HL get the last hand

Comment

Think we should give Mosiah the furss han?

HL

Comment

Working...
                        X