RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portia hurt - PNP president says Phillips never accepted ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portia hurt - PNP president says Phillips never accepted ...

Portia hurt - PNP president says Phillips never accepted defeat

PEOPLE'S NATIONAL Party (PNP) President, Portia Simpson Miller, has for the first time admitted that she is hurt by the challenge to her reign by Dr Peter Phillips.
    Simpson Miller, who has acknowledged the democratic right of party members to run for any post, told The Gleaner yesterday that Phillips and his supporters had never accepted her as party president.
    "I would go to my bed with a prayer in my heart, praying for unity and wake up with that said prayer," said Simpson Miller adding that she had always extended a hand of friendship to Phillips' team but it was never welcomed.
    Simpson Miller was elected PNP president on February 25, 2006, with a narrow 247-vote win over Phillips, who finished second in the four-person race.
    Challenge

Phillips
    "They had decided from that time that they would have challenged me. They were working on their challenge from that time," she said.
    Phillips' Arise and Renew campaign says Simpson Miller has failed to unite the PNP and to lead the party to a fifth consecutive general election win.
    In a Sunday Gleaner article, Phillips, an outgoing PNP vice-president, declared that Simpson Miller had not delivered.
    "A leader must lead. The PNP has gone through presidential contests before: 1969 between Michael Manley and Vivian Blake, P.J. Patterson and Portia Simpson in 1992," said Phillips.
    "When you examine those, the winners accepted that they had a fundamental responsibility to administer the party without recriminations, without bitterness and to extend the hand of friendship and embrace all elements in the party," he added.
    Simpson Miller, however, has said that the PNP would have been in government today had factions in the party not withhold their support from her.
    Reach out
    "I embraced them until my hands hurt. Now I hear that I did not reach out enough. That's rubbish!" Simpson Miller said.
    "There was a passive resistance. And then they turn around to question my leadership!" she retorted.
    Simpson Miller said her weakness as a leader was embracing those who continuously shunned her goodwill and has promised "strong and decisive leadership".
    Arise and Renew has charged that most members of parliament (MPs) and caretakers who supported Phillips for president were challenged for their seats by Portia factions within the party.
    However, Simpson Miller said the job of selecting the candidates was done by a team led by Dr Paul Robertson who was the director for Phillips' failed presidential campaign.
    The PNP lost the September 2007 General Election by less than 3,000 votes as the Jamaica Labour Party captured 32 of the 60 seats in the House of Representatives.
    Simpson Miller, said there is no ulterior motive to her quest to retain the PNP presidency.
    "My aim is to ensure that those who are less privileged in the society will have equal opportunity so that they can enjoy some of the privileges accorded to others," she said.
    Simpson Miller said she has not given any thought to the future of Phillips should the delegates re-confirm her as party president tomorrow.
    Phillips, meanwhile, has hinted that there would be a special role for Simpson Miller if he becomes president. Neither of the long-standing members of the party have been nominated for vice-president, thus the loser will cease being an officer of the party after the election.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Simpson Miller, said
    "My aim is to ensure that those who are less privileged in the society will have equal opportunity so that they can enjoy some of the privileges accorded to others,"
    Dem a tek black people fi eediat, and what a joke!
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

you mean like free healthcare and education?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

well karl...portia seh what wi seh from long time...shi was indecisive about cleaning house and that caused her downfall...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

But hold on, yuh never did say she fi keep her enemies close?
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

i did ...... but not that close! she basically made them know that she did not have the confidence to go forward without them.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nanny P nuh worry yuhself; if
              the people choose to enslave themselves what can you do? I know that if
              Philips win it will be a victory over the general populace as the two parties will now serve one master. The PNP will never bethe same again but what is to be must be.

A hundred and fifty years from now, our generation will see their folly (after much suffering).

Nanny P continue to keep your enemies very close and never let them be aware that you know they are wicked and backbiting. (i do the sam most times)

Comment

i think that cat is out of the bag......

Comment

Working...
                X