X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Recognition at Last!!

Yes, call the dons! - MacMillan supports their appearance in Parliament
    published: Thursday | September 18, 2008

MacMillan... Irrespective of what is said about them, they have a right to certain things.
    National [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Security[/COLOR][/COLOR] Minister Trevor MacMillan has backed arguments that dons reserve the right to present their opinions on six controversial anti-crime bills being considered by a joint select committee of Parliament.
    "Irrespective of what is said about them, they have a right to certain things," MacMillan told The Gleaner yesterday, shortly after speaking at a luncheon hosted by the Rotary Club of downtown Kingston.
    However, MacMillan said people with [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]criminal [COLOR=orange! important]records[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] should be barred from the process.
    Not restricted
    According to him, dons are commonplace at political [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]meetings[/COLOR][/COLOR] and they are not restricted.
    He, however, refused to comment further on the issue.
    The suggestion that dons be allowed to address the committee deliberating on the anti-crime bills was first made by Minister of Labour and Social Security Pearnel Charles in Parliament on Tuesday.
    Committee chairperson, Dorothy Lightbourne, had asked committee members to suggest groups and organisations that could be invited to comment on the proposed pieces of legislation crafted by the Bruce Golding-led administration.
    After listing journalists, Jamaicans For Justice and women's movements, Charles stunned some members of the committee when he said the 'dons' association' should appear before the committee.
    Responding to Charles' comment, [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Senator[/COLOR][/COLOR] Lightbourne said everyone should be given the opportunity to make a presentation on the bills.
    Ridiculous
    Amid a chorus of dissent from some opposition members, K.D. Knight, opposition senator and former minister of national security, retorted: "Dons coming in to influence legislation in the Jamaican House of Parliament, and we talk about it? Ridiculous!"
    A livid Knight then walked out of the chamber, at which time his colleague, Senator A.J. Nicholson, expressing disgust, said: "When they invite the dons here, I will not be a part of that discussion." In an attempt to clarify Charles' comments, Senator Lightbourne said he was being excessive. Charles later asked that his earlier controversial pronouncements be amended to reflect what the chairperson had said.

Dons of the world unite!

Don1
    change is good.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

McMillan lick him rhaszh head! A preposterous proposition coming from one so admired in many Jamaican household.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Why not? The Mafia had their say in congress too.

Dons are apart of Jamaican life and if they have a say it should be heard and considered by legislators.

The problem is what the legislators with the inform they collect.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

'Ole Farmah, here's what i think.

McMillian wants to gather all the dons in one place--then eradicate then at one go.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Should I laugh at the folly of this JLP initiative or cry because of the realisation of where this JLP 's audacity would lead us?

for the JLP!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Hl, I hope that was his plan. Otherwise he's making a mockery of what law and order in a country should stand for. True, we have found ourselves with Dons becoming a part of the status quo within the Jamaican society, but it's time to rid ourselves of that ailment; not hug it up! What next? Order of Jamaica for outstanding Dons!
            "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
              Hl, I hope that was his plan. Otherwise he's making a mockery of what law and order in a country should stand for. True, we have found ourselves with Dons becoming a part of the status quo within the Jamaican society, but it's time to rid ourselves of that ailment; not hug it up! What next? Order of Jamaica for outstanding Dons!
              Farmah, you have hit the nail on the head! In fact, I am prepared to wager a bet that there is no other english-speaking Caribbean country in which this utter nonsense would even be suggested by serious-minded leaders! Surely McMillan is going slowly insane as he ages!

On the other hand, should we be surprised? This is the same country in which law enforcement officers allowed a prisoner to address his Matthews Lane people as the only option in quelling a possible serious disturbance.

But this official support by the Minister of National Security marks a sad day for Jamaica, and a new low in crime-fighting initiatives/ideas! I am so very, very disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                Why not? The Mafia had their say in congress too. Dons are apart of Jamaican life and if they have a say it should be heard and considered by legislators. The problem is what the legislators with the inform they collect.
                The only "say" that Dons should be allowed is from the confines of a prison cell. Of course they are "a part of Jamaican life," as you say, but a most unwelcome part! They need to be eradicated once and for all, not allowed to air their views!

Comment

lawd... look weh mi country come tuh... a wha dis faada... this man needs to be removed from office immediately with this suggestion...

a what him a try duh... bring legitimacy tuh him don associates dem... i cannot imagine what de laborites dem wudda seh, if that was ever suggested by the former pnp govt...

this man needs to be committed to a mental institution...
                  'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

preposterous is a major understatement... mi cant even find a description weh fit mcmillan's suggestion...

Comment

cant beleive you could even say that assasin... mi expect much betta fram yuh...

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                        But this official support by the Minister of National Security marks a sad day for Jamaica, and a new low in crime-fighting initiatives/ideas! I am so very, very disappointed!
                        this suggestion is worse than a person committing murder...

Comment

Baddaz Dons are a wide cross section of Jamaica. They have been influencing life in Jamaica for a long time. The parliament is there for everybody. I believe in giving them a voice and let the people see how ignorant and self serving they really are.

The pressure would be on them to testify. One of the problem with our parliament is that the average person don't participate as they feel intimidated and not welcome. There are dons that have control over big companies in Ja, and have influence over the same politicians so let them come to the people and expose their greed, corruption and selfishness.

It is long over due.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Unnu miss dis part?

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                            MacMillan said people with criminal records should be barred from the process.
                            Still, this nonsense started with the utterly ridiculous statements from Pearnel Charles in parliament. He then tried to justify his crap on radio talk shows all day when the video clip of him joking about it and making a complete fool of himself does not lie.

Then to add insult to injury, KD Knight, a defender of people of all nefarious persuasions in our courts, is appalled and walks out of Gordon House.

Joke ting!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

den unnuh think dudus woulda REALLY guh parlaiment? anyway, does dudus even have a criminal record?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X