Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baggy pants ban "unconstitutional," rules US judge

Tue Sep 16, 2:02 PM ET

A Florida judge has deemed unconstitutional a law banning baggy pants that show off the wearer's underwear, local media reported Tuesday.
    A 17-year-old spent a night in jail last week after police arrested him for wearing low pants in Riviera Beach, southeast Florida.
    The law banning so-called "saggy pants" was approved by city voters in March after supporters of the bill collected nearly 5,000 signatures to put the measure on the ballot.
    The teen would have received a 150 dollars fine or community service, but he spent the night in jail due to a history of marijuana use, the Palm Beach Post newspaper said.
    "Somebody help me," said Palm Beach Circuit Judge Paul Moyle, before giving his decision.
    "We're not talking about exposure of buttocks. No! We're talking about someone who has on pants whose underwear are apparently visible to a police officer who then makes an arrest and the basis is he's then held overnight, no bond."
    "Your honor, we now have the fashion police," added public defender Carol Bickerstaff, who asked the law be declared "unconstitutional."
    The judge agreed with Bickerstaff immediately, reported the Post.
    Laws that ban low-slung pants are on the books in several US cities, including Delcambre, Louisiana, where offenders can be fined up to 500 dollars or jailed for up to six months.
    Dallas, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia are among the larger US cities considering similar measures.

Seeing some the students on campus is simply embarrassing. I wish the college would pass a rule about how these clowns should wear their pants .... then again .. this is supposed to be the land of the free.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

One could say neckties are ridiculous and idiotic as well...what function do they have?..try banning that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
        One could say neckties are ridiculous and idiotic as well...what function do they have?..try banning that.
        I wouldn't have a problem with that either. But then, if you are conducting an interview, applicant A comes arrives wearing a suit, shirt and tie ... applicant B comes in with his pants waist around his knees, what would be your reaction?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I would first look at their resumes.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            I would first look at their resumes.
            Yeah ... figure someone would come with that. The fact is you only get one chance to make a first impression. People need to stop defending almshouse.

Comment

Even though I really and truly hate seeing those young boys wearing their pants so low, I really think that it's wrong to make the style illegal. Back in the 60's it was mini skirts. It is just fashion.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                Even though I really and truly hate seeing those young boys wearing their pants so low, I really think that it's wrong to make the style illegal. Back in the 60's it was mini skirts. It is just fashion.
                We ago compare stupidity wid miniskirts? Wha yuh smoking Jangle?

Comment

It is people's interpretation of fashion and the law must not overstep its boundaries. Who is to stop them from banning neckties or sneakers?
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                    It is people's interpretation of fashion and the law must not overstep its boundaries. Who is to stop them from banning neckties or sneakers?
                    Come now Jangle, don't follow Exile wid the necktie excuse. What kinda fashion is it to have yuh pants waist at yuh knees? People need to stop defending almshouse. I was at the mall the other day ... 3 youth were walking together ... 2 of themwere pulling down their pants the third fellow was pulling up his pants.

Stop calling it fashion Jangle ...

Comment

Depends on what the job is. You never hired anyone? Would you put a man in suit and tie to go and do social work? In the innercity? Does having your pants up around your waist with a belt makes you a better person? Ok..we could talk about dress code for work and all that (had to tell my Summer Intern to pull up his pants - literally and figuratively)....
                      The thing is - the underwear and pants thing is working-class ghetto rap style - its probably a rebellious statement of some kind or fashion statement?

Comment

You all want freedom of expression..and when yu get it..yu want curtail it? Years ago, Police used to cut-off man locks a Jamaica.

Comment

Lazie my friend, it is fashion to these young people. We don't like it, but it is what it is. Of course I told my daughter that she could never bring a boy to my house with his pants crotch down at his knees. Our parents got the same flak from their parents when mini came into style. Do you remember the days when "badman" used to wear "lengths" and the width of the pants foot would cover their shoes? Their back pockets would be stuffed with young bath towels. That was the style of the day.

Comment

Depends on what the job is. You never hired anyone? Would you put a man in suit and tie to go and do social work? In the innercity? Does having your pants up around your waist with a belt makes you a better person? Ok..we could talk about dress code for work and all that (had to tell my Summer Intern to pull up his pants - literally and figuratively)....
                            The thing is - the underwear and pants thing is working-class ghetto rap style - its probably a rebellious statement of some kind or fashion statement?
                            I'm amazed that people don't see the problem. Watching a program on CNN a few weeks ago an employer told the hostess of that they have a problem hiring black men because and note "they don't dress properly!"

If dem want to exhibit ghetto rap style get some damn gold or platinum teeth, but pull up yuh damn pants.

Comment

You all want freedom of expression..and when yu get it..yu want curtail it? Years ago, Police used to cut-off man locks a Jamaica.

... and whats being expressed exposing yuh underwear? Alot of these youngsters affi try twice as hard fi get dem foot in the door ... yet the image of another set of idiots is simply making it harder.

Stop encourage almshouse Exile.

Comment

Working...
                              X