Gamma this might interest you.. What does Grenada have again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamma this might interest you.. What does Grenada have again

What does Grenada have against Hugh Wildman?
    WIGNALL'S WORLDMark Wignall
    Sunday, September 14, 2008

At a time when every other Jamaican is still basking in the afterglow of our athletic triumph and the black, green and gold of the Jamaican flag is adorning living rooms in Jamaica and vehicles driving on our roads, Jamaican attorney-at-law Hugh Wildman, up until recently in Grenada, Attorney General, Director of Public Prosecutions, Director of the Financial Intelligence Unit and Legal Advisor to various governmental bodies in the 'spice island', had long discovered that his enemies in Grenada had teeth and in any event they did not like Jamaicans.
    Where the so-called ordinary Grenadian had embraced the vigour with which he had prosecuted the most troubling cases and, the police who had to investigate, arrest and prepare matters for disposal in the Courts had fully endorsed and supported him, many in other areas high up in Grenadian society saw him as a pesky fly in the ointment.
    Certainly, the Jamaican was no friend of the fraternity of defence counsellors in Grenada, as the fact of his very presence there, his meticulous case preparation and thoroughness and intellect displayed while presenting and arguing same in court made it that much more difficult for them to meet their desired objectives.
    "At some stage Grenada became my second home. As I examined the social interplays and understood how vigorous would be the intention of those who wanted to derail me, I made the same choice I would have made for Jamaica. I was going to approach my job with a similar energy but with an extra gear in place designed to demonstrate my core purpose," he said to me recently.
    I had been hearing about Hugh Wildman, attorney-at-law, for so long that I was mildly shocked to discover that he is only 47 years old. As the fourth of six children, Hugh attended Highgate High and Excelsior between 1976 and 1982. He then plunged headlong into UWI where he earned himself an upper second-class honours in pursuing his LLB. He also scored an 'A' in the Law of Tort, something that last happened in that course six years before.
    Wildman completed law school in 1988. "By that time, based on our approach and course work, myself and two others had been earmarked for clerkships. I had a passion for criminal law and on leaving law school I secured the position of Chief Clerk of Courts at the Sutton Street court."
    Six months later, young 28-year-old Hugh Wildman was promoted to the DPP's office. In the years following, Wildman not only gained invaluable experience but he demonstrated both a sharpness for easily seeing through the fluff often presented by defence counsel in weak cases, and an ability to cut and carve into the more complex ones.
    One of the cases which I remembered was the Linton Berry case. Said Wildman, "After Mr Berry's conviction and sentence to death, the appeal was allowed by the Privy Council. The case gained prominence in the law reports and the leading text on criminal practice and procedure. I was entrusted with the responsibility of prosecuting the accused at the retrial, after the case was sent back by the Court of Appeal following the ruling by the Privy Council. Mr. Berry was convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment and to serve 30 years before being eligible for parole."
    Among many other cases, he also featured in the first identified contract murder case in Jamaica. "This was the first time that persons were being charged on the basis of contract murder. After a lengthy trial, all three accused were convicted. One sentenced to hang and two, life imprisonment. Their convictions were upheld at the Court of Appeal in Jamaica and the Privy Council."
    Off to Grenada and resentment
    From Clerk of Courts, Kingston Criminal Courts in 1988, Crown Counsel in the office of the DPP, 1989, in 1992 to 1994, tutor in the Law of Remedies and Criminal Practice and Procedure at Norman Manley Law School, a one-year secondment in 1994 as DPP, Grenada, in 1995, Deputy DPP, Jamaica, Hugh Wildman, a prosecutor par excellence, three years shy of his 40th birthday headed to Grenada.
    Prior to his departure he had earned the ire of the closely knit legal fraternity in Jamaica after prosecuting a case which involved a well-known, well-liked attorney-at-law who was charged with receiving a motor vehicle which had been stolen from a university professor.
    He has also jolted the establishment in Jamaica after a successful prosecution of a case of fraud involving bankers Melanie Tapper and Winston McKenzie. Add to that the fact that his one-year working sojourn and success in prosecutions in the 'Spice island' in 1994-1995 had brought about a groundswell of opposition against him there: he was headed to a destination where certain key players in the legal body had demonstrated that no red carpet would be rolled out to greet him.
    The 'call to duty', so to speak, had been made of him by the Grenadian government. When the telephone call came, he could not take up the offer immediately, that is, assume the duties of DPP, Grenada. He sought a secondment and it was granted, initially for two years. Little did he know that even with all of the organised opposition to his appointment two years would grow into 10.
    The problems began on cue. The courts were shut down after a strike was organised. But those who were in the forefront of what could have been classified as a big, desperate move by little men saw the matter being taken to the Grenadian courts to prevent Hugh Wildman, son of the region from being appointed DPP, Grenada.
    While the matter was losing its way in the courts, Wildman was appointed acting DPP in 1999. Undaunted, Wildman, who was never seen as power-hungry, immersed himself in more landmark cases. Some of those who were hostile to him had notional attachments to the main opposition party and, because he had been invited to Grenada by the highest office, he was in turn viewed not just as pro-government but politically so.
    In 1999 he was lecturing part-time in Business Law at the UWI, Marryshow House. In that same year until 2002, he was appointed DPP for Grenada. At about that time he was Senior Legal Counsel and Special Prosecutor, Legal Advisor to the Board of Directors of the Call Centres, Board of Directors Grenada International Financial Services Authority, and also Legal Advisor to the Grenada National Bank.
    In 2003 he was named Director of the Financial Intelligence Unit, Grenada.
    In the same year, 2003, he was made legal advisor to the Cabinet of the government of Keith Mitchell.
    NEW PRESSURES ON WILDMAN
    Some time in 1999 Wildman found himself in conversation with a British man who told him he was a lawyer with specialty in Civil Law. Wildman told him that there was a shortage of personnel in that area and suggested that if he was interested in working there, the matter would be further pursued. At that time, the 'Britisher' said he was working with an offshore bank.
    The matter gets intriguing here. Information later surfaced that the very bank the man said he was connected to, was being investigated by the FBI. Apparently spurred on by the actions of the US authorities, the executive director of GIFSA, the body controlling the regulation of financial institutions in Grenada, suggested to the board of GIFSA to run a check on the said offshore bank.
    I gather that the response from the board did not meet with the satisfaction of those concerned. While interim plans were being laid, at some stage those who still had it in for Wildman began making much of an e-mail which began making the rounds as 'plant' e-mails are wont to do.
    It was being made out that the particular e-mail had originated from the Englishman who had been boasting that 'he had the ear of a government official,' supposedly referring to Wildman. The destructive nature of the e-mail was obvious as in, 'The man has the ear of the prime minister, and he is expensive'.
    Between the periods 2000 to 2001 Wildman was forced to utilise the services of policemen. 'At that time I had policemen living and sleeping in my home.'
    As he continued it was almost as if it was a grand waiting game. Waiting for the next round of attacks, subtle and unmentionable.
    By 2004, Wildman was in Jamaica in preparation for Hurricane Ivan. As known, Ivan wreaked havoc on Grenada. Wildman was summoned by the authorities to script emergency laws designed to assist in bringing back stability to the island nation after the passage of Ivan the Terrible.
    CHANGE OF GOVERNMENT, WILDMAN OUT
    It doesn't take someone versed in fluid mechanics or particle accelerators to determine that the face of the politics in Grenada today is reminiscent of that face Grenada showed to the region after the murder of Maurice Bishop in 1983. The Marxist revolutionary Bishop had deposed the increasingly despotic Prime Minister Eric Gairy while he was abroad addressing, of all places, the United Nations.
    Eric Gairy was a contradiction - imploring the UN to investigate UFOs; thought to be a 'mental situation' while his former actions in agitating for 'people power' made some see him as nation builder. Absolute power was, however, corrupting Gairy. When he surrounded himself with armed thugs loyal to him, called the Mongoose Gang, when it was pointed out to him by a foreign journalist (circa 1970s) that many members of the gang had criminal records, Gairy responded without a pause, 'It takes a thief to catch a thief.'
    In a 1970 speech to the nation he moderated the line to, 'Does it not take steel to cut steel?'
    Many of those who had come out on the wrong side of Bishop's murder are enjoying not just freedom in Grenada now, but power. When the13-year-old government changed in July, Keith Mitchell's party ended up with four seats only.
    Wildman was out. His conquerors had the opportunity then to proclaim to themselves that the 'enemy' was beaten. Prior to the change of government, four attorneys including Wildman were proposed to be made QCs. Predictably, three were eventually robed in silk. Any guesses who was excluded? Yah, the bad guy who nabbed and put away all those criminals in Grenada.
    "Mark, it is better for a man, an institution to take away all of my money than my reputation. On that matter, the Grenadian government owes me US$50,000. I was told that as the government has changed, so has my employment been terminated," he said.
    "I'm not trying to smear anyone in Grenada. The ordinary folk there must not be confused with the closely knit clique there in the intelligentsia who has a passionate dislike for Jamaicans."
    To be fair to those in the region, Jamaica has not convinced others that we do not all shoot those we do not like. In a perverse way, it makes for good theatre; this knowledge that the beautiful 'Spice' island of Grenada is quite capable of practising petty, schoolboy politics like we in Jamaica do too often.
    An example of hard and expert work in extremely stressful times as laid out by Hugh Wildman ought to be commended, embraced and held up as examples of how sons and daughters of the region should proceed on the world stage. But no, in our regional parochialism, we can see no further than the big black pot of gruel close to the great house.
    Nothing in the last week has come to me to indicate that Hugh Wildman is involved in anything but competent and decisive legal work. My checks with Grenadian sources have indicated that no body or entity or department anywhere is investigating Wildman.
    Eminent legal mind, Hugh Small, once said on JBC TV many years ago words to the effect that 'Politics exists in all spheres. Only a small part of it is in party politics.'
    It was 'the other politics' which sent Wildman home. Don't worry, fellows in Grenada, we are quite happy to keep him.
    WILL PORTIA CRY THIS SUNDAY?
    The money that has begun to 'appear' in the team that supports Portia is welcome news to me, because its presence will mean that after Portia Simpson Miller tastes defeat once again, less than one week from today, 'lack of funds' will not be one of her lame excuses.
    The information I have is that the lady plans to do a 'Hillary Clinton' on the Peter Phillips camp. She plans to bawl. I am certain that that information is just par for the course for the silliness now taking place in the PNP.
    As I gather it (Thursday Sept 11 as I write), the Portia team has tentatively 'rented' the sports arena and Mico College. As of now her team is trying to bring out the crowds and the 'feel- nice' politics which is the only type she knows and has practised.
    Her former boss could turn out to be the one generating the funds, because there is no one on her team with sufficient networking skills to garner same.
    Let us also put a cap on the hypocrisy I hear coming from sensible voices who believe that in their need to maintain 'objectivity', some attribute associated as being a part of her arsenal must be invented.
    Rubbish! This election is all about competence and leadership skills. Portia Simpson Miller got her chance, exposed her inabilities to the nation and has blown it. She must now go. Case closed.
    observemark@gmail.com
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

yeah, i've been aware of this for a while...will read. he has his serious detractors in JA too....some think that is why he ended up in grenada...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

well...wiggy's article is one view......

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
      X