• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed independent investigative authority hits snag

Proposed independent investigative authority hits snag
    BALFORD HENRY, Observer writer balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, September 12, 2008

The proposed independent commission to investigate abuses by the security forces has hit its first major snag.
    Assistant Commissioner of Police Justin Felice suggested Wednesday that the commission may have to use police personnel to probe corruption within the ranks until civilians are trained to do the job.

"The system works, but unfortunately it will take time to train people to the required standard. So, I think at the beginning we are going to have to look very carefully about whether there will be provisions made for certain individuals to be seconded to the commission," ACP Felice, who heads the
    Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) anti-corruption branch, told a joint select committee of Parliament reviewing the proposed Independent Commission of Investigations Act at Gordon House.
    But both Attorney General and Minister of Justice Senator Dorothy Lightbourne, and former Minister of National Security, Senator KD Knight, seemed very uncomfortable with the suggestion.

Senator Lightbourne, who chairs the committee, felt that using police investigators would defeat the whole purpose of the bill.
    "You recognise that this bill is trying to move as far away from using police personnel as far as possible. So, if you are going to look at using police officers in the first instance, we may well have to look at the whole scheme of the bill again," she said.
    "I am just going to make one point, and I am going to use one word that is very relevant in Jamaica: The word is 'squaddie'. Think about it," Knight suggested.
    "Having been here for 12 months Senator, I am acutely aware of the phrase 'squaddie', I assure you," ACP Felice responded.
    Felice suggested a code of ethics for the recruited officers and that any breach of the code should be construed as a misconduct.
    The bill seeks to repeal the Police Public Complaints Act to make provisions for the establishment of a Commission of Parliament, known as the Independent Commission of Investigations. The commission will undertake investigations concerning actions by members of the security forces and other agents of the State, that result in death or injury to persons or the abuse of the rights of persons.
    Felice, who worked in a civilian investigations department in Northern Ireland as a senior director for over five years before being recruited by the JCF, recalled that his job then was to recruit and train persons to investigate the police.
    "At the onset, we had to have a few police officers seconded to the office to give us that ability. But what we did, we formed a partnership with a local university, we recruited graduates and we put them through a two-year modular training programme and after two years, they became accredited investigators," he explained.
    Felice also dismissed suggestions that the police recruited by the commission should be at the minimum rank of inspector.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X