Bolt for US talk shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt for US talk shows

DOUBLE world-record holder Usain Bolt has no intention of slowing down. After conquering the Beijing Olympics, the 22-year-old sprinter is poised for another circuit: the US talk shows.
    According to the CBS website, the sprint sensation is scheduled for 'The Late Show' with David Letterman this month, marking his first US talk-show appearance.
    Bolt's manager, Norman Peart, confirmed that he would appear on the popular show on Wednesday, September 24, and that there were similar requests from rival programmes.
    Peart, who has mentored Bolt since he was 15, named the other high-profile US television appear-ances, scheduled this month for the triple Olympic gold medallist.
    "He's to be on the 'Daily Show' with Jon Stewart on the 25th; and, Regis and Kelly on the 26th," he said.
    Asked whether the sprint star's management team had got bigger to deal with the new demands since Bolt's Olympic triumphs, Peart said there was no reason to.
    "We have had the same team since 2003 ... and there are no immediate plans to expand," he said.
    Bolt, nicknamed 'Lightning Bolt', won the 100 and 200 metres in Beijing, China, in world-record times of 9.69 seconds, and 19.30 seconds, respectively. His third gold medal came in the 4x100m relay which was also done in a record time of 37.10 seconds.
    Bolt became the first man since American Carl Lewis in 1984, in Los Angeles, to win three gold medals in track and field at an Olympics.
    Hero's welcome
    He was given a hero's welcome on his return to Jamaica on Monday.
    Asked if Spanish football champions Real Madrid had also invited the track star to visit their Santiago Bernabeu Stadium as reported by The Associated Press, Peart could not confirm.
    "I know he's a Manchester United fan," he said. "But, as I said, we have a lot of requests."
    Yesterday, Bolt and 200m Olympic gold medallist Veronica Campbell-Brown were appointed UNESCO champions for sport. brian.bonitto@gleanerjm.com

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ews/news1.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

He is a natural when it comes to interviews. His people should mek sure that he is prepared for this new circuit.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Mi have fi ask again where is all the small minded people who try to make a joke of me when I said this is what Bolt and his management team should do?

Good move, I commend him and his team.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You mean where are the people who laugh when you say Asafa should do that.

Mi going to listen keenly to hear how much yankee come out of Bolt mouth. You woulda swear is the states him go school.

Comment

a glad you see. I wouldn't even go so far cause most of them memory very short bad.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
            You mean where are the people who laugh when you say Asafa should do that. Mi going to listen keenly to hear how much yankee come out of Bolt mouth. You woulda swear is the states him go school.
            And while you're listening keenly to "hear how much yankee come out of Bolt mouth," remember that the average American listener (to whom the David Letterman Show is aimed) will understand what Bolt is saying.

Laugh as we might, this is the big advantage that people like Usain Bolt, Aleen Bailey and several others have over many other Jamaican athletes! It is a part of human nature that when people cannot understand what an interviewee is saying, then that interviewee is automatically looked on with disdain or contempt.

Comment

Bolt's twang is very slight. I don't see what all the chatter is about. As you said, it's better he moderates his accent so that his audience can understand him.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The boy has a good grasp of the english language with his Jamaican accent , his twang is slight !
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

some people mussi tink di whole a wi talk like shabba!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                    And while you're listening keenly to "hear how much yankee come out of Bolt mouth," remember that the average American listener (to whom the David Letterman Show is aimed) will understand what Bolt is saying.

Laugh as we might, this is the big advantage that people like Usain Bolt, Aleen Bailey and several others have over many other Jamaican athletes! It is a part of human nature that when people cannot understand what an interviewee is saying, then that interviewee is automatically looked on with disdain or contempt.

I will continue laughing yes. Man with accent from UTECH.
                    Mi see Bolt with accent in yard interview. Is who that one aim to? The expat them.

It is not a big deal to me, but I still find it hilarious. I am not one of those folks who going to cuss and carry on about how the man sell out because mi know that after a while yout get tired of Americans saying "what did you say".

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                      Mi going to listen keenly to hear how much yankee come out of Bolt mouth. You woulda swear is the states him go school.
                      me... raise the level... everybody, i mean everybody's accent and vernacular gets modified with repeated exposure to other accents... bolt will be no different...

to constantly focus on bolt's or other peoples accent is ignorant... we should be way past that...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

ok me... you said its not a big deal to you... why the focus then... i remember keith kelly after spending a few seasons in france, had a french accent... it was inevitable...

a person don't even have to live in the usa to develop a slight us accent... the pervasive influence of rap and other american television shows will modify accents, even in jamaica...

Comment

mosiah, i observed my neices in jamaica (9-12 y.o.) and they do not talk like shabba... i like that shabba reference... it was interesting to observe them and i realize why they spoke the way they did... it was the influence of the television they were watching... from spongebob to bet...

in the past, when we were kids we wern't subjected to those influences, except when the relatives would visit from america or england...

Comment

Raise the level. LOL

Mi talk bout it because it is still hilarious to me that the man catch him accent from UTECH. If you want to vex that me find that hilarious then is your business that.

As for everybody changing. Mi see enough people who go farin or have stayed in yard and grow up on MTV and when them do their interviews with yard people they don't change a thing about how they speak

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                              mosiah, i observed my neices in jamaica (9-12 y.o.) and they do not talk like shabba... i like that shabba reference... it was interesting to observe them and i realize why they spoke the way they did... it was the influence of the television they were watching... from spongebob to bet...

in the past, when we were kids we wern't subjected to those influences, except when the relatives would visit from america or england...
                              Excellent post, Baddaz!

The pervasive influence of cable television is a real one, and contributes significantly to our world in every sense of the word becoming a "global village"!! So, today not only are our children more aware of other cultures, but their entire behaviour, speech, etc. reflects these new influences. Ultimately, there are a whole lot of good things (and, of course, negative things) that will arise from these new cultural experiences.

Comment

Working...
                              X