• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA deal as per Bartlett

Create an environment that will support direct flights - Bartlett
    published: Wednesday | September 10, 2008

Bartlett - File
    Jamaica's Minister of Tourism Edmund Bartlett is refuting claims that the revenue guarantee given to legacy carrier [American will pose a threat to the national carrier Air Jamaica.
    In response to a number of concerns raised about the agreement, the tourism minister said it would in no way undermine the service provided by the national carrier. "Such a deal with a legacy carrier allows us the opportunity to deliver the world to Jamaica and Jamaica to the world," noted Bartlett.
    The national carrier Air Jamaica continues to enjoy for many years funding support from the Government subsidising the carrier for operation and expansion. This of course is encouraged further where the ability to undertake new routes, maintain existing gateways and improve service standards are viable through marketing initiatives.
    Jamaica Vacations, the agency which negotiated the arrangement with American Airlines, is responsible for exploring opportunities to increase capacity to Jamaica and to form strategic alliances with travel industry partners through varied options. Once reviewed and successfully accepted, partnerships will ultimately benefit Jamaica.
    The additional seats per week to Jamaica come at a time when major United States carriers are significantly reducing service to the tourism-dependent Caribbean region as they grapple with record -high fuel prices. And the region is quite vulnerable because American Airlines controls much of the market - carrying more than 60 per cent of passengers travelling through the Caribbean last year. This month, the airline will cut flights by almost 45 per cent eliminating flights to Santo Domingo, Antigua, St Maarten, Aruba and Samana in the Dominican Republic.
    New service
    While a number of regional counterparts will see a reduction in service, Jamaica is poised to benefit from the additional airlift based on the arrangement. Effective November 2, American Airlines will begin daily service from Dallas Fort Worth to Montego Bay and from Miami will increase to three the number of daily flights to Montego Bay. As of January 31, 2009, American Airlines will offer a new service five times a week from Chicago to Montego Bay. In all three gateways, American will operate a Boeing 737 with a capacity of 148 seats, providing in excess of 3,000 additional seats to Jamaica.
    At a time when the aviation industry is in turmoil, the tourism minister noted that airlines were now seeking countries with a critical mass that would support a load factor of 75 per cent or more, which he believes Jamaica can satisfy. According to Minister Bartlett, "We have to create an environment that will support direct flights and provide inducements for co-marketing arrangements and multi-destination strategies."
    The tourism minister noted that with the nearly 3,000 new hotel rooms expected to come on stream this year, the deal was critical to ensure that hoteliers could fill existing and new rooms.
    Minister Bartlett contends that the deal provides global connectivity with American offering thousands of flights from feeder cities across the United States, connections from India through the hub in Chicago and from China through the hub in Dallas. The minister's position is supported by American Airlines reporting last year that over 40 million people travelled through its Dallas hub and over 20 million through its hub in Miami.
    150,000 visitors expected
    As part of the agreement, American will not fly to Jamaica if less than 65 per cent of the seats are taken. Jamaica will therefore only be required to pay the 10 per cent revenue if the load factor is less than 75 per cent. The tourism minister noted that the additional flights to Jamaica each week is expected to carry in excess of 150,000 visitors to the island over the next 12 months with projected revenue to Jamaica in the region of US$96 million.
    Advertising and Promotion
    Minister Bartlett said, "All airlines which fly to Jamaica will benefit as a result of the Jamaica Tourist Board supported advertising and spot cable buys. People will continue to fly the airline of their choice, which in many cases is the national airline," Bartlett stated.
    With the added publicity by American to promote Jamaica in these markets coupled with Jamaica's own public relations and advertising in the market, Air Jamaica will be a natural beneficiary of the added publicity.
    The minister is confident that Air Jamaica will not be negatively impacted, adding that a specific public relations campaign called 'Come Home' targeting Jamaicans overseas and the wider diaspora will be undertaken to encourage travel home. This, he indicated, will stimulate travel specifically for Air Jamaica.
    Minister Bartlett indicated that given the various challenges, it was clear it couldn't be business as usual, adding that our survival would depend on keeping the airlift, the lifeblood of tourism, flowing.
    An American Airlines McDonnell Douglas MD-82 aircraft gets ready to take off at the Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, California
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

.. and since some described it as Extortion 101, people need to realize that AA is cutting flights within the USA as well. I can't wait to hear what the CG has to say.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Sandals or flip flops?

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      .. and since some described it as Extortion 101, people need to realize that AA is cutting flights within the USA as well. I can't wait to hear what the CG has to say.
      Funny how you flip flop from your original opposition to this giveaway to foreigners once your political favorites come under public pressure... or maybe once they present an explanation which is palatable to you... which justification you accept unquestioningly.
      I guess you dislike being seen as out of step with the party line.

When an airline says they will discontinue service if they don't achieve a certain load factor and DEMAND payment and profitability for actually flying a route... I call that extortion without any apology to anyone.

It is unsophisticated to swallow the minister's justification simply as presented.. but then i've come to expect unsophisticated viewpoints as well as unsophisticated posturing on this board.

Bartlett was faced with this proposition: You don't agree to pay.. we don't fly.
      He decided to cave in to that ultimatum ... you now support that.. as is your prerogative.

American's cutting flights within the US is not our concern.. most of their profits are on international routes anyway.
      All the countries it's claimed that they are reducing service to in the Caribbean do not have national carriers to defend their market and keep the foreigners honest.
      Jamaica does have a national carrier maintained at great cost.. now we plan to subsidize foreigners with tax dollars to compete with our own... that's bad policy in my opinion... as well as bad precedent.
      Expect to see more demands for subsidies from foreign airlines in the near future.

As I said initially.. a better policy is to encourage new carriers to enter the market on routes which are threatened.

btw.. you kept baiting me with these references to extortion.. hope you are now satisfied.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
        Funny how you flip flop from your original opposition to this giveaway to foreigners once your political favorites come under public pressure... or maybe once they present an explanation which is palatable to you... which justification you accept unquestioningly.
        I guess you dislike being seen as out of step with the party line.

When an airline says they will discontinue service if they don't achieve a certain load factor and DEMAND payment and profitability for actually flying a route... I call that extortion without any apology to anyone.

It is unsophisticated to swallow the minister's justification simply as presented.. but then i've come to expect unsophisticated viewpoints as well as unsophisticated posturing on this board.

Bartlett was faced with this proposition: You don't agree to pay.. we don't fly.
        He decided to cave in to that ultimatum ... you now support that.. as is your prerogative.

American's cutting flights within the US is not our concern.. most of their profits are on international routes anyway.
        All the countries it's claimed that they are reducing service to in the Caribbean do not have national carriers to defend their market and keep the foreigners honest.
        Jamaica does have a national carrier maintained at great cost.. now we plan to subsidize foreigners with tax dollars to compete with our own... that's bad policy in my opinion... as well as bad precedent.
        Expect to see more demands for subsidies from foreign airlines in the near future.

As I said initially.. a better policy is to encourage new carriers to enter the market on routes which are threatened.

btw.. you kept baiting me with these references to extortion.. hope you are now satisfied.
        Yuh new to the forum Don1 ... Lazie back broad. It is idiotic for one to hold onto a position out of fear of being called a flip flopper. According to what I've heard this deal involves a new route from Dallas to MBJ as they are targeting tourist in that region.

If you were paying attention you'd be aware that while the rest of the country is struggling sections of Dallas is booming. College students are getting good paying jobs before graduating, while there is concern about the housing market, new homes are being sold before completion. So targeting tourist in that region is a smart move ... even though some of you will find a reason to claim it is a bad idea.

Yes, there is a concern about other airlines coming with the same demand. Valid argument there. There is also the valid argument as to why Air J wasn't allowed to increase their flights from Chicago and there is the other angle of why not allowing Air One (if that the name of the airline).

I listened to Paul Pennicook on Real Business yesterday and the only concerns he expressed was about the Chicago route and if other airlines come with the same demands.

If Bartlett is being honest with us about the projection for tourist arrivals, having less flights coming into the island would certainly affect that.

I am listening and reading about this from both sides, I suggest others do the same instead of trying to prove a point.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Couldn't agree more.

But I still am open to any convincing argument that justifies the extor....the deal.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Yuh new to the forum Don1 ... Lazie back broad. It is idiotic for one to hold onto a position out of fear of being called a flip flopper. According to what I've heard this deal involves a new route from Dallas to MBJ as they are targeting tourist in that region.

If you were paying attention you'd be aware that while the rest of the country is struggling sections of Dallas is booming. College students are getting good paying jobs before graduating, while there is concern about the housing market, new homes are being sold before completion. So targeting tourist in that region is a smart move ... even though some of you will find a reason to claim it is a bad idea.

Yes, there is a concern about other airlines coming with the same demand. Valid argument there. There is also the valid argument as to why Air J wasn't allowed to increase their flights from Chicago and there is the other angle of why not allowing Air One (if that the name of the airline).

I listened to Paul Pennicook on Real Business yesterday and the only concerns he expressed was about the Chicago route and if other airlines come with the same demands.

If Bartlett is being honest with us about the projection for tourist arrivals, having less flights coming into the island would certainly affect that.

I am listening and reading about this from both sides, I suggest others do the same instead of trying to prove a point.
            Very reasonable position.

I am not against targeting any market.. especially if the prospects are good.
            I just disagree with the subsidy methodology applied here to foreigners, the precedent set and disadvantaging Air Jamaica with public funds.

We can agree to disagree.. no problem

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Couldn't agree more.

But I still am open to any convincing argument that justifies the extor....the deal.
              Agreed.. it sounds unpalatable to me but who knows.. in the circumstances it's possible that it's the best that could be done.

Comment

Working...
              X