• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study needed on session effect on society - Mutabaruka

Study needed on session effect on society - Muta
    Steven Jackson
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mutabaruka... if a country a dance so much something wrong, rasta
    Shocked by the island's nearly 41 sessions a day, dub poet/philosopher Mutabaruka says that intellectuals should study the session effect on society.

"Jamaican people a dance, dance and dance. That is not a good sign, if a country a dance so much something wrong, rasta," he said on radio in response to an Observer article.

The article stated that some 10,000 registered entertainment events were held in Jamaica since January. The vast majority of these events were sessions, a few football matches and bar openings. It means that there were about 41 events every day, or one every 3.7 miles along the island's length. This figure represented registered parties or events and did not include the many promoters who illegally held dances without permits.What is significant is that even low-density parishes such as St Thomas scored above 450 events.

"I don't know if it relieves stress or if it causes stress," he said recently on his weekly talk show. "It is a phenomenon . Jamaica has the most church per square mile and the most bars and now Jamaica have the most dance per square mile.It's unbelievable."

He noted that Jamaica was following the lead of Brazil which "finds every reason to hold a party". "In Brazil, if they lose a football match they keep a party, if they win a match,they keep a bigger party," he said concluding that an "anthropological study" should be conducted.

Mutabaruka has in the past voiced agreement with the enforcement of the Noise Abatement Act. He argues that night noise violates the rights of sleepy residents. Since last year Government began enforcing the Noise Abatement Act. Under the act, promoters must apply for permits to hold events. The act specifies that events must end by 12 midnight on weekdays and 2:00 am on weekends.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

love him or hate him muta is thought provoking....makes you think. i LOVE his poems........people's court I & II are very very deep!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

this poem is still my favorite still
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Dis Poem it name!

He has a lot of good ones that you hardly hear bout. One called "Rise Up" with Sugar Minott, "H2 Worker" and one of my favourite "I am the man you love to hate" about the progress of the rastaman from Back-o-Wall to present day Jamaica.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Serious thing this culture (session )has been carried to the americas , New York & Florida where crews go session hopping, its ridiculous.

Just follow the music.its one of the reason I almost got kicked out of ardenne , man session all week , to weekend.

Then I discovered down town , session and the bubblas.It DUN !
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Yu muss check out the 'dead yard' scene...never see anything like that before..live band, 100s of vendors outside, tents, food drinks....and the music is very good. The bands sing for hours on a stretch.

Comment

Exile, isn't this one area where T&T can actually compete with Jamaica? Unnu nuh have bout 400 lymes per day?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

great kings of africa, great queens of africa....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Seven responses, and not one serious commentary on what Muta had to say!!

By the way, if Historian had said this, what would have been the response?

Comment

The fact is we all know it affect productivity badly, it affects education as well as other areas of life in Ja.

Just the other day police start to take kids out of dance. The study would be good but we should have to have a study to make sensible decisions like these.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

This is not a big deal, Historian. It has always amazed me how we have so many sound systems with the absolute latest and baddest equipment and gadgetry. I don't see anything like it when I travel to the States. Yardman spend some good dollars on sound systems.

And when you consider the amount of money that is spent on liquor and outfits for all these sessions - amazing! You know some of us have our priorities all screwed up.

Rahtid, ah wonder if Bolt a go Quad tinnite. Mi woulden mine drink a Hennessy offa him gold medal!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

it's not news to me ....and for my part i didn't think it impatient of debate or commentary...what is or is not serious commentary on this is itself open to debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          This is not a big deal, Historian. It has always amazed me how we have so many sound systems with the absolute latest and baddest equipment and gadgetry. I don't see anything like it when I travel to the States. Yardman spend some good dollars on sound systems.

And when you consider the amount of money that is spent on liquor and outfits for all these sessions - amazing! You know some of us have our priorities all screwed up.

Rahtid, ah wonder if Bolt a go Quad tinnite. Mi woulden mine drink a Hennessy offa him gold medal!
                          Fair enough, and thanks for your response, Mosiah. I just thought for a minute that we were not taking Mutabaruka's comments seriously. I am glad to see that I was mistaken.

Also, Gamma and Assasin, I hope that you gentlemen understand my intial concern at what I perceived (at the time of posting my comment) as a lack of interest in the essence of Muta's comments. This situation that Muta addressed is something that has bothered me for years, and is one of the reasons for my often anti-dancehall stance. There is a socio-economic price for some of our bacchanal-like "over-indulgence".

But thanks for taking the time to respond!

Comment

We posted on it before. The only Ironic thing is that a Muta it a come from. A man who makes his living at night time.

If you ask me the way in which we have music blasting anywhere anytime without thinking about children, elderly and others in the name of culture is simply a break down in society. Nuff a di sound them a play and you can hear it five miles away.

Comment

It is a BIG deal Mosiah!!!

Let me add: the electricity (energy) consumption from these "sessions" should be quite significant.

I don't think it would be difficult to calculate the energy waste in $$$$$!!

Energy that could be used more productively.
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X