Obama draws fire for 'lipstick on a pig' remark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama draws fire for 'lipstick on a pig' remark

LEBANON, Virginia - What's the difference between the presidential campaign before and after the national political conventions? Lipstick.
    The colorful cosmetic has become a political buzzword, thanks to Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's joke in her acceptance speech that lipstick is the only thing that separates a hockey mom like her from a pit bull, an aggressive dog breed.
    Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama told an audience Tuesday that his Republican opponent John McCain says he'll change Washington, but he's just like President Bush.

"You can put lipstick on a pig," he said to an outbreak of laughter, shouts and raucous applause from his audience, clearly drawing a connection to Palin's joke. "It's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still going to stink after eight years."
    'Pathetic'
    McCain's campaign called the comments "offensive and disgraceful" and said Obama owes Palin an apology. Obama's campaign said he wasn't referring to Palin and said the Republican camp was engaging in a "pathetic attempt to play the gender card." Obama's camp also noted that McCain once used the same phrase to describe Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan.
    Obama followed up by saying Palin is an interesting story, drawing boos at the mention of her name that he tried to cut off.
    "Look, she's new, she hasn't been on the scene, she's got five kids. And my hat goes off to anybody who's looking after five. I've got two and they tire Michelle and me out," he said.

In Virginia, a questioner rose and asked Obama to join Republicans and agree that candidates' families and religion are off limits. Palin's pregnant teenage daughter and the teachings of her church, the nondenominational Wasilla Bible Church, have been the subject of scrutiny since McCain picked her as his running mate.

Obama responded that he already has said families are off limits and he's very protective of his daughters, 10-year-old Malia and 7-year-old Sasha. He said he doesn't want their inevitable future mistakes to become newspaper fodder if he gets to the White House.
    Obama also is no stranger to attacks on his religion. He's been the subject of a false rumor campaign saying he's a Muslim, and the racially tinged sermons of his longtime former preacher caused problems for his campaign earlier this year.
    He stressed that he's a Christian and "so the fact that Gov. Palin is deeply religious, that's a good thing." He said poking around in her religion or saying it's wrong is "offensive" and he wants to have a debate about the issues.
    "But don't give people some sort of religious litmus test because I don't want somebody to question my faith and I'm certainly not going to question somebody else's," he said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

The GOP is getting more and more petty by the minute. Every comment made by the Dems is now seen as an attack on Palin. Are these people for real? Joe Biden made a comment about stem cell research yesterday, and again it is seen as another attack.

Gosh ...
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Comment

you see the trick. Them a say the Dems them a go to new low when a them a do it.

Obama need to start take things personal. Too much presidential answers. Him a nuh president yet.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

indeed....maybe if he had said "pitbull"?!!

it's getting more and more desperate....should obama take it personally....i dunno but he does need to address the pettiness...

the coolest person i EVER met in my life was a dude from chicago named willie, that guy was SMOOTH....he wasn't the tallest or best looking guy in any room but ...... GOTDANG ..... willie was smooth.

obama reminds me if willie, and if the form holds true...obama will get the under 40 white women vote!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I think this a bigger insult!

These fools can't understand analogy. Obama didn't call anyone a pig or compare her to a pig. They are doing just that by their reaction.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sure they understand, its just playing to their "Joe the racist blue collar six pack white working class social conservative (did I miss any)?" audience.

Lazie likes to say that democracy without education is useless when referring to the Jamaican voter. Is this what democracy with education looks like?
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

So right, I-man. The mere fact that a knucklehead like Palin could generate so much interest and even help in moving McCain past Obama...little or no education don't look so unappealing, all of a sudden.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi use to tell Lazie long time.

Him nuh listen.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    Sure they understand, its just playing to their "Joe the racist blue collar six pack white working class social conservative (did I miss any)?" audience.

Lazie likes to say that democracy without education is useless when referring to the Jamaican voter. Is this what democracy with education looks like?
                    Yuh figet that these are the same people that made George Bush president for 8 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      Mi use to tell Lazie long time.

Him nuh listen.
                      Tell me what Sass?

Comment

McCain said it last year - He was responding to McCain

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                        LEBANON, Virginia - What's the difference between the presidential campaign before and after the national political conventions? Lipstick.
                        The colorful cosmetic has become a political buzzword, thanks to Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's joke in her acceptance speech that lipstick is the only thing that separates a hockey mom like her from a pit bull, an aggressive dog breed.
                        Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama told an audience Tuesday that his Republican opponent John McCain says he'll change Washington, but he's just like President Bush.

"You can put lipstick on a pig," he said to an outbreak of laughter, shouts and raucous applause from his audience, clearly drawing a connection to Palin's joke. "It's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still going to stink after eight years."
                        'Pathetic'
                        McCain's campaign called the comments "offensive and disgraceful" and said Obama owes Palin an apology. Obama's campaign said he wasn't referring to Palin and said the Republican camp was engaging in a "pathetic attempt to play the gender card." Obama's camp also noted that McCain once used the same phrase to describe Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan.
                        Obama followed up by saying Palin is an interesting story, drawing boos at the mention of her name that he tried to cut off.
                        "Look, she's new, she hasn't been on the scene, she's got five kids. And my hat goes off to anybody who's looking after five. I've got two and they tire Michelle and me out," he said.

In Virginia, a questioner rose and asked Obama to join Republicans and agree that candidates' families and religion are off limits. Palin's pregnant teenage daughter and the teachings of her church, the nondenominational Wasilla Bible Church, have been the subject of scrutiny since McCain picked her as his running mate.

Obama responded that he already has said families are off limits and he's very protective of his daughters, 10-year-old Malia and 7-year-old Sasha. He said he doesn't want their inevitable future mistakes to become newspaper fodder if he gets to the White House.
                        Obama also is no stranger to attacks on his religion. He's been the subject of a false rumor campaign saying he's a Muslim, and the racially tinged sermons of his longtime former preacher caused problems for his campaign earlier this year.
                        He stressed that he's a Christian and "so the fact that Gov. Palin is deeply religious, that's a good thing." He said poking around in her religion or saying it's wrong is "offensive" and he wants to have a debate about the issues.
                        "But don't give people some sort of religious litmus test because I don't want somebody to question my faith and I'm certainly not going to question somebody else's," he said.
                        ... At least one radio station is playing both versions (McCain and Obama.)
                        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

you often refer to the Americans when talking bout Jamaican election and mi a tell you say a nuff stay the very same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            you often refer to the Americans when talking bout Jamaican election and mi a tell you say a nuff stay the very same way.
                            Did you watch AC360 on CNN last night? I surely how so.

Comment

No, Why?

Comment

Working...
                              X