Tourism fund ready for action going to sports tourism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourism fund ready for action going to sports tourism

I think we need to build another stadium on the North Coast where the tourists are safest. This stadium needs to have facilities for track and swimming.

Tourism fund ready for action
    published: Tuesday | September 9, 2008

Sheena Gayle, Gleaner Writer

Olympic triple [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]gold[/COLOR][/COLOR] medallist Usain Bolt makes his [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]trademark[/COLOR][/COLOR] pose on arriving at the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston yesterday, while Minister of Information, Culture, Youth and [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Sports[/COLOR][/COLOR], Olivia Grange, looks on. - Rudolph Brown/Chief [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Photographer[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    WESTERN BUREAU:
    As a result of the success of Jamaica's athletes at the Beijing Olympics, the hefty billion-dollar purse of the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) has now been opened up for any feasible sports tourism development project suggested by the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB).
    "We will look seriously at anything that will enhance the tourism product," TEF Chairman Godfrey Dyer told a recent Gleaner Editors' Forum held at the offices of Globe Insurance in Montego Bay, St James. He was being questioned about the role the fund could play in converting Jamaica's rich sports tradition into sports tourism.
    An excess of $2 billion has been garnered from the fund since it was established in 2005, he said.
    Promoting growth
    The mandate of the TEF, under the Tourism Master Plan for Sustainable Tourism Development, involves promoting growth and development in the tourism sector, encouraging better management of environmental resources in the island, enhancing the overall tourist experience and providing for the sustainable development of the tourism sector.
    Dyer lauded Tourism Minister [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Edmund[/COLOR][/COLOR] Bartlett's initiative to capitalise on Jamaica's track-and-field success in organising an invitational 100m beach sprint event, slated for November 2009, and which will see some 30 international athletes and celebrities competing on a three-lane beach track designed by the Italian company Mondo.
    This, Dyer noted, is "sports tourism and I am sure that the JTB will be looking more seriously on what more can be done in the area of sports tourism, especially with Jamaica's success at the Olympics".
    Professionals needed
    But well-known sports organiser Ray Harvey said the vision of sports tourism would not be accomplished if sporting professionals were not included.
    Harvey, who is the organiser for the Milo Relays, charged that "Jamaica needs to engage a professional who is in the field of sports marketing and have that individual look at what we have to offer and determine how we can package it and market the product". Jamaica had its most successful Olympics to date in Beijing, China, when its athletes brought home a total of 11 medals - including six gold - from the games. So extraordinary was the country's success at this year's Olympics, that Jamaica was listed second in the world with the most medals per capita.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

bolt and asafa could probably get theor sponsors to make an annual contribution in his name or an endowment...sup'm.....good movements.

nuff talk now, mek wi si di falla thru....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

[quote=Time;127843]
      I think we need to build another stadium on the North Coast where the tourists are safest. This stadium needs to have facilities for track and swimming.

I guess it's important for tourists to run and swim in safety.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

wha? it's not important to you?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          wha? it's not important to you?
          Not really... don't consider myself a tourist.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

therefore you don't need to run and swim safely...DUH!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              therefore you don't need to run and swim safely...DUH!!!!
              right! i'll take my risks with the rest of the natives.

Comment

the ones who call you "foreigna".

very ironic
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  the ones who call you "foreigna".

very ironic
                  i assume this means something.... i just don't understand what.

Comment

[quote=Don1;127999]
                    Originally posted by Time View Post
                    I guess it's important for tourists to run and swim in safety.
                    This is a very surprising statement coming from a usually clear-minded brother like you, Don1. Your sarcasm is clear.

Yes, it is extremely important for tourists to run and swim in safety!! Mosiah asked a question several years ago which I've never forgotten. While I can't quote his exact words, he was basically asking if the life/safety of a tourist was more important than that of a black Jamaican.

We had better wake up and realize that theoretically, while everyone's life is equally important, the safety of a tourist is important for the well being of all Jamaicans! In other words, while the death of a native Jamaican is an extremely sad affair (the death of someone is not something to take lightly!), the death of a tourist can have serious consequences for our country's economy, and by extension, the society as a whole!

If Jamaicans cannot realize this, we may as well shut down the Ministry of Tourism and abandon tourism as an economic pillar!

Comment

[quote=Historian;128194]
                      Originally posted by Don1 View Post

This is a very surprising statement coming from a usually clear-minded brother like you, Don1. Your sarcasm is clear.

Yes, it is extremely important for tourists to run and swim in safety!! Mosiah asked a question several years ago which I've never forgotten. While I can't quote his exact words, he was basically asking if the life/safety of a tourist was more important than that of a black Jamaican.

We had better wake up and realize that theoretically, while everyone's life is equally important, the safety of a tourist is important for the well being of all Jamaicans! In other words, while the death of a native Jamaican is an extremely sad affair (the death of someone is not something to take lightly!), the death of a tourist can have serious consequences for our country's economy, and by extension, the society as a whole!

If Jamaicans cannot realize this, we may as well shut down the Ministry of Tourism and abandon tourism as an economic pillar!
                      You raise an important point.... just not the one my sarcasm was addressing.
                      My point was aimed at the idea building a stadium for tourists... an idea I find ludicrous.

I believe every life is important... even tourist's.
                      I reject the notion that a tourist's life is "more equal" than a resident of Jamaica... or that only "theoretically" is a Jamaican's life equally important to that of a visitor.

You are correct that the death of a tourist may have an economic impact on the country and that visitors must be protected... obviously if they don't feel safe.. they won't come... no argument there.

However to me it's akin to having guests at your own house where you also have your children.
                      Do you take care of your guest's safety more than that of your children?

I don't.
                      Last edited by Don1; September 10, 2008, 06:04 PM.

Comment

you think them really a build it for tourist alone use?
                        The fact that it has easy access means it is a way of fulling up the stadium.

We need to host more international competitions, camps and attraction to get more tourist dollars and I think that is the point. Building a stadium down a Tivoli and Arnett nah cut it.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          you think them really a build it for tourist alone use?
                          The fact that it has easy access means it is a way of fulling up the stadium.

We need to host more international competitions, camps and attraction to get more tourist dollars and I think that is the point. Building a stadium down a Tivoli and Arnett nah cut it.

maybe we should "full up" the Trelawny stadium first before building another white elephant.

btw..i understand that the Arnett and Tivoli stadia "full up" on a regular basis.. even without the benefit of tourists.

Comment

that is true. There is also the one a Catherine Hall which is not complete.

The funny thing is no studies were done and no real planning to use these stadiums before they were built.

You weren't on the forum when I stated that the second stadium should have been built at Drax Hall because of the location near so many hotels, and port.

Comment

Working...
                            X