• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butch gives AA deal thumbs up

Butch gives AA deal thumbs up
    Pact critical as J'ca seeks to take advantage of Olympic glory
    Monday, September 08, 2008

STEWART... to say Jamaica is being hoodwinked is misleading
    The Caribbean and Jamaica's leading hotelier, Gordon 'Butch' Stewart believes the deal with American Airlines (AA) is good for the tourism-dependent island at this time.
    Stewart said that given the turbulence being experienced by the aviation industry ravaged by high oil prices, the AA deal would protect Jamaica's tourism industry from undue exposure at a time when the country should be taking advantage of the benefits to come from the glorious performance of our Olympians in Beijing, China.
    The hotel mogul also noted a Sunday Herald newspaper lead story saying Jamaica was "hoodwinked" by the United States carrier and described it as "misleading because the airline historically had protected Jamaica more than any other in the Caribbean".
    Stewart, sounding bemused when contacted last night for his comments on the emerging controversy over the tourism ministry's arrangements for AA to protect tourism airlifts to Jamaica, said the critics probably did not have a full understanding of the issue, were "being mischievous" or "playing a little politics".
    "Everyone in the (tourism) industry knows that Air Jamaica, our national carrier, is, unfortunately, not in a position to protect the industry at this time as it is too unreliable," Stewart said. "For sometime now we all know that the airline has lost its marketing prowess," he added.
    "The tourist industry is too critical to our economy in terms of foreign exchange earning and jobs for Jamaicans to leave it exposed and in this regard, American Airlines is being an excellent partner," he suggested.
    Under the deal, Jamaica could pay AA up to US$4.5 million to maintain flights from three US cities - Dallas, Chicago and Miami - to Jamaica, but the island would earn US$96 million, based on the 3,000 seats per week which are involved, according to Tourism Minister Ed Bartlett.
    He was responding to criticisms levelled at the arrangement by Opposition Spokesman on tourism, Dr Wykeham McNeill who blasted the deal as a misuse of the Tourism Enhancement Fund.
    Stewart praised American for agreeing to guarantee additional seats to Jamaica at a time when it had reduced its capacity worldwide by 11 per cent.
    And he suggested that the tourism minister should receive kudos for acting early before any further fallout in airlifts to Jamaica, noting that all airlines were in contraction mode.
    "To say Jamaica is being hoodwinked is misleading," he said in response to the Sunday Herald article claiming that while AA was receiving money from government to fly to Jamaica, it was offering reduced fares to other Caribbean destinations.
    "I do not know where they got that information, but I am aware that all airlines have sale from time to time. In any event, Jamaica is not subsidising American. The airline has asked to have its risks covered.
    "In the past, it has asked other Caribbean countries to do the same. But it has never received any money because the risks never materialised, based on the airline's excellent performance," Stewart said.
    "In the final analysis, it is token money but it demonstrates the commitment of a partner in this period of difficulty for the aviation industry," said the Sandals chairman. "It is also important to note that the $4.5 million is a cap on the risks American is taking."
    He emphasised that protecting airlifts into Jamaica was even more critical because of the expansion of rooms in the tourism sector in recent times.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Just heard Bartlett on NNN. AA doesn't get any money upfront. Hope I got it right ..

If they bring in less than 65% they get nothing.
    If they bring in 65% - 75% they will be paid.
    If they bring in more than 75% they will get nothing.

The minister and his ministry must admit they were sloppy in putting out the information on this deal.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

More fire over AA deal
      published: Monday | September 8, 2008

Arthur Hall, Senior Staff Reporter
      The Bruce Golding administration is facing more fire today over the US$4.5-million contingent guarantee it has given to American Airlines.
      Since The Gleaner broke the story last week, several questions have been raised about the deal, which could see American Airlines being paid J$324 million if it gets less than 75 per cent of its seats on its flights to Jamaica taken up over a 12-month period starting November 1.
      Minister of Tourism Edmund Bartlett has defended the accord, arguing that "such a deal with a legacy carrier allows us the opportunity to deliver the world to Jamaica and Jamaica to the world".
      Intensified
      But the firestorm of criticism has intensified in the wake of allegations yesterday that American Airlines had reduced the cost of its tickets to other Caribbean destinations and Mexico, while retaining the prices to fly to Jamaica.
      The roasting of the Golding administration was led by Opposition Spokesman on Tourism Dr Wykeham McNeill, who said the Government needed to provide the country with more details about the agreement.
      "What are the details of the deal and how will Jamaica's interests be protected?" McNeill asked while speaking to The Gleaner.
      According to McNeill, the administration also needs to state whether the decision to spend more than J$324 million was approved by the Cabinet and why the details were not announced in Parliament.
      "This deal was not well thought out and I am strongly opposed to it," he said.
      Similar guarantees
      The opposition spokesman argued that this was a first for Jamaica and could lead to other airlines, such as Virgin Atlantic and British Airways, demanding similar guarantees.
      Yesterday, The Gleaner was unsuccessful in its efforts to get a response, to the latest round of questions, from Bartlett. The American Airlines administrative offices were closed.
      However, in a release on Saturday, Bartlett said Jamaica would enjoy increased service from American Airlines at a time when the nation's regional counterparts would see a reduction in service. arthur.hall@gleanerjm.com

Comment

How about pay them if they come in 90% or higher?

PNP better get a better tourism player than McNeil, him nuh seems fi grasp the concept of tourism right. Instead of preaching doom and gloom him need fi actually talk to people in the industry.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          How about pay them if they come in 90% or higher?

PNP better get a better tourism player than McNeil, him nuh seems fi grasp the concept of tourism right. Instead of preaching doom and gloom him need fi actually talk to people in the industry.
          Huh? Again, the minister said if they bring in more than 75% they get nothing, and based on the projections he is expecting them to come in with more than 75%. Now, I'm wondering if he is aware of the economic situation in the USA?

Comment

the economic situation maybe better for Ja. I stress "maybe". You check the price for Europe, India and them place deh? With the right price people may stick closer to home with the right discount.

Lazie I was saying if a deal say bring 90% and you get the 4.5 then it is worth it then as they did their job.

I understand Bartlett point however, and while there is some risk involve I think it will work.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If they bring in less than 65% they get nothing. mek sense
              If they bring in 65% - 75% they will be paid. mek sense
              If they bring in more than 75% they will get nothing. HUH?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

A must fool me fool, cah mi just can't see di justification a dis.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the economic situation maybe better for Ja. I stress "maybe". You check the price for Europe, India and them place deh? With the right price people may stick closer to home with the right discount.

Lazie I was saying if a deal say bring 90% and you get the 4.5 then it is worth it then as they did their job.

I understand Bartlett point however, and while there is some risk involve I think it will work.
                  This is not how private business is supposed to work. One doesn't reward foreign airlines for high load factors.... their reward is the profit made from their sales.

You seem willing to excuse or support any nonsense performed by this regime.

Would you be so charitable with the other party? I don't think so.
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    If they bring in less than 65% they get nothing. mek sense
                    If they bring in 65% - 75% they will be paid. mek sense
                    If they bring in more than 75% they will get nothing. HUH?!!
                    To clarify: it's been reported that if their load factor is less than 65% they will not continue to service the route.

65%-75% -- they can be compensated up to $4.5m

At a factor above 75% apparently they are satisfied that they will be suitably profitable.

In other words they will only fly those routes if their profitability is guaranteed by our taxpayers.

That's my understanding.. but only the GOJ and American Airlines know the details.
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

you can say whatever you want. At the end of the day if it result in 200,00 more tourist then it is worth it.

If id don't then it aint worth a damn.

The fact is Jamaica may benefit from a US recession

Comment

The more it's explained the more I oppose the deal.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you can say whatever you want. At the end of the day if it result in 200,00 more tourist then it is worth it.

If id don't then it aint worth a damn.

The fact is Jamaica may benefit from a US recession

So Sass instead of keeping our AirJ flying...putting in competent managers - You back giving away money to a foreign entity?

In other words you are saying - There is no way AirJ could be made as profitable (postitively or negatively) as an AA...and the few Jamaicans employed to AirJ you shall absorb in your unemployment figures? Good going, Sass!

Well Sass the idiots in the JLP have just given the asurances for AA's Jamaican routes to be worth-while...and AA is still at the controls...the threat of pulling out is still in AA's hands. Will it be over the life of this JLP each year or as AA decides..."give more subsidies...gifts of cash...or wi gawn?!"

Damn fool-fool deal!
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

While I am not for giving away money you need fi open your mind. How many routes does Air J fly on again??

Air J has been getting how much every year and with no better results.

Should AA have cut their flights to Ja?

What Air J need to do is the same thing to the other islands them and demand subsidy from the governments they are subsiding and flying empty to.

Comment

Based on the reports from the gleaner, it sounded like an idiotic deal. However, listening to the minister explain the deal yesterday, it shed some more light on it. They (MOT) are targeting more tourist out of Dallas and this deal would have AA making flight directly from Dallas. There was also some mention about increasing flights from Miami and Chicago.

Now my personal view is the Dallas route can be understood, but since Air J fly the Miami and Chicago route, why not have Air J increase their flights along these routes?

Again, I think the Ministry did a poor job of getting the information out.

Comment

Working...
                              X