Tropical Storm Gustav Recovery Fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropical Storm Gustav Recovery Fund

The government will be launching a major plan to raise millions of dollars to help with the recovery effort following the onslaught of Tropical Storm Gustav.

The Tropical Storm Gustav Recovery Fund will be launched at 10am Tuesday at Jamaica House.

Local and overseas corporate companies as well as individuals will be asked to donate to the Fund.

The Office of the Prime Minister, which is overseeing the recovery effort, said it has not yet set a target for contributions.

State Minister in the Office of the PM Daryl Vaz said financial pledges have already started to come in.

"Obviously, there's a lot of people who require help and we want to ensure that we aid as much people as possible," he said.

According to Mr. Vaz, the first private sector contribution will be presented to Prime Minister Bruce Golding Tuesday morning.

Update on recovery effort

Mr. Golding is to make a statement on the recovery effort in Parliament on Tuesday.

He had requested an update from all critical agencies in order to give a full report on the damage done by Gustav as well as restoration work carried out so far.

On Monday, Mr. Golding set up a task force to oversee the restoration work.

The team, which is headed by Transport and Works Minister Mike Henry, includes representatives from the National Works Agency, the Kingston and St. Andrew Corporation, the Ministry of Housing and Water as well as the National Land Agency.

Mr. Golding held a meeting Monday at Jamaica House with all the critical agencies and Ministers in the Ministries of Agriculture, Water and Housing, National Security, Mining and Labour and Social Security.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Mosiah /Karl:

Why don't you add the RBSC as a donor to the government Gustav Recovery Fund.

Or better yet, Mosiah why don't you identify a family who was severely affected bythe hurricane; the RBSC donation goes directly to help that family.

If you think the effort is worthwhile, i will send my donation to Karl.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

And I know you will. You have a big heart!!! (Yes, everybody, I said it, and Olympics dun!)

HL, I didn't suffer too badly because of Gustav. In fact, I didn't suffer at all, but why worry about the details. Check your email for my bank account info!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
      X