RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports versus academics, is 4 x 45% too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports versus academics, is 4 x 45% too much?

This time around I will agree with some sort of standard is needed to protect the student from the school. The bottom line is that without protection many students will end up unable to find work after high school.

The qualification should not be just a minimum of four subjects. It should have alternates such as a 45% average using the best four subjects.

What if a child can do well (meaning 60%) in three subject English Language (60%), English Literature (60%), History (60%) but just cannot get the 45% in a fourth subject? Even with a zero iin the 4th subject, 3 x 60 = 180 and 180/4 = 45%, that child has the same or better average in four subjects as the child who faiils four subject at 45%.

The author is correct. Alumni matters, the principal of Wolmer's Girls pointed publicly out that the school decided to move Shelly Ann from waterhouse in order to get her to focus on her exams. This is in stark contrast to other schools who use students for sports and the cast them aside.

Sports versus academics
    published: Sunday | August 31, 2008

File
    LEFT: Jamaica's Melaine Walker competes in the women's 400-metre hurdles final during the athletics competitions in the National Stadium at the Beijing 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Walker won the gold medal.
    Photo by Charles Pitt
    RIGHT: Kerron Stewart with her silver medal won in the women's 200m final in Beijing, China.
    Gareth Manning, Sunday Gleaner Writer
    A GOLDEN performance by Jamaica's athletes at the Games of the 29th Olympiad in Beijing, China, has resurrected an old discussion at home: how should schools manage [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]students[/color][/color] with extraordinary sporting talent but poor academic performance?

The issue has educators divided, with some calling for more national support to help students who bring sporting glory to their [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]schools[/color][/color], but are slipping through the academic system.

Other educators are critical of the Inter-Secondary Sports Association (ISSA) requirement that disallows athletes from participating in school-based sporting competitions if they have a below 45 per cent average academic performance.

National programme
    Jamaica Teachers' Association (JTA) president, Doran Dixon, argues that while there are schools with strong alumni that ensure their athletes are well supported in both sports and academics, there needs to be a programme at the national level to provide all schools with a holistic programme.

"In this globalised environ-ment, you have to recognise there is more to life than sports," says Dixon, pointing to a recent situation where several young athletes were denied [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]scholarships[/color][/color] to attend college in the United States because of their poor academic performances.

"Ultimately, there will have to be a discussion among stake-holders in the education system on how to facilitate these youngsters," says Dixon.
    "Sport is one of those things that can aid national development ... and we have to work out a way to harness and maximise their full potential."

Retired principal of St Jago [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]High [COLOR=orange! important]School[/color][/color][/color], Keith Noel, while not opposed to the need for discussions at the national level, seems to be on the other side of the stands.

Right support needed
    The St Catherine-based school has been a powerhouse in both academia and sports, producing Olympians like Melaine Walker and Kerron Stewart, who between them won gold, [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]silver[/color][/color] and bronze at the Beijing Olympics.

Noel argues there is little merit to arguments that students who do well in sports do not perform well academically, noting that their talents often open them to academic opportunities if the right support is given.

"The people who you help when they take CXC (Caribbean Examination Council) exams and they get only one or no subjects, you still can get them into a junior college in America, and check eight years later they graduate from college," Noel reasoned.

Criticism
    Noel criticises ISSA's insistence for students to maintain a 45 per cent average or above in their studies, as pre-requisite to participate in school sporting activities.

"A child at CXC level getting 45 per cent in four subjects has a good chance of passing four subjects," argued Noel. "But a child who is not likely to pass four subjects should not be allowed to represent his school. That, I think, is a travesty against kids who have the (athletic) talent but are weak academically."

While he encourages schools to work within the rules laid down by ISSA, he believes students involved in sports should not be penalised because they are not high academic achievers.

"You try to encourage and work with them because you know when they do well at sports you can get them into some programme where they can develop academically to get qualification and develop their sporting ability," Noel said.

Former president of the Association of Principals and Vice-Principals, Nadine Molloy, says while the school should provide encouragement and support for talented youngsters, "the primary purpose of the school is to educate the child".

Educating children
    "Remember that sports is not something we can fund even through regular channels in our schools. If I take one cent from the school and mistakenly put it into a sport activity, an audit report is going to instruct me to refund it or censor me for doing so," she told The Sunday Gleaner.
    Molloy, principal of Buff Bay High School, said that while schools should do what they can to support talented students who underperform, there are also challenges in giving that support.

"We are talking about changing a mindset and the value that we place on true education, because there are lots of students who feel they are star athletes and are not really here to do the class thing," she said.

Molloy believes the bigger issue is not to develop a principle on how to manage talented students within the school system, but how to educate all students.

gareth.manning@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; August 31, 2008, 01:08 PM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Also for Shelly-Ann, she was placed in a family that gave her what her single mother could not give her in the ghetto. Nutritional support and a stable family environment.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

This argument is based on a premise that participating in sports somehow robs the child of something that would otherwise aid academic development. In my mind another nonsense argument.

Surely it is not the athletic talent of the child that reduces ability to perform well academically.

The question to be answered is; why is the child not performing?
      As I said above the answer will surely not be; he/she is engaged in sports! When that answer on why that 'non-performance/under-performance' is known, provide the solutions!
      Last edited by Karl; August 31, 2008, 05:01 PM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
        Also for Shelly-Ann, she was placed in a family that gave her what her single mother could not give her in the ghetto. Nutritional support and a stable family environment.
        Aaaaaah!
        Clearly taking part in sports was not the problem!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          This argument is based on a premise that participating in sports somehow robs the child of something that would otherwise aid academic development. In my mind another nonsense argument.

Surely it is not the athletic talent of the child that reduces ability to perform well academically.

The question to be answered is; why is the child not performing?
          As I said above the answer will surely not be; he/she is engaged in sports! When that answer on why that 'non-performance/under-performance' is known, provide the solutions!
          No one is saying that sports is causing the lack of performance. The problem as Mosiah once pointed out is that most schools don't care about the academic side of the athletes. Some schools recruit the athletes strickly for sports and never ever make the extra effort to get them to learn. What ISSA is trying to do is to force the schools to care about the academic side.
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
            The problem as Mosiah once pointed out is that most schools don't care about the academic side of the athletes. Some schools recruit the athletes strickly for sports and never ever make the extra effort to get them to learn.
            And that has not changed. One only has to atend one of them many football scholarship tryouts that take place across Jamaica. The farin coaches are always impressed with the talent, and would select maybe 20 of 100 participants just from their ability. Of that 20, if 5 satisfy the minimum college requirements, wi lucky!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There is something called personal responsibility, and the youths are responsible for going to classes and taking their education seriously. We can look to blame the schools all day, but if the youths neglect to enhance their educational skills, they will be a failure in life.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Certainly! Enuff blame to go around. Parents are ultimately responsible for their children, but the schools are not blameless.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

people can gwaan talk. I know coaches who tried to get any member of our under 20 team to d1 college and it also included full scholarhip, stipen and part time job on campus and not one player was fully qualified.

Instead he got an Guatamalan national youth player. Even though this coach is Jamaican he has pretty much started putting his attention elsewhere cause when a coach try hard to recruit and players and at the end of the summer he doesn't have a decent player to add to his roster he looks incompetent.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

'sass...what's up with ezra prendergast?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Haven't heard anything from him recently. I knew he was playing high alum game in the Bronx yearly.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yes but what if they lack resources?

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                        There is something called personal responsibility, and the youths are responsible for going to classes and taking their education seriously. We can look to blame the schools all day, but if the youths neglect to enhance their educational skills, they will be a failure in life.
                        No student should suffer because of lack of resources at home. The schools should make the effort to assist the student with extra classes and the JAAA and the goverment should invest money in the gold medal wiiners and class champions from champs.

Do we award scholarships based on performance at champs?

Comment

No one is saying that sports is causing the lack of performance.
                          I think that was exactly what the article was saying...and its title unscored it.

The problem as Mosiah once pointed out is that most schools don't care about the academic side of the athletes.

I will not accept that assumption.
                          a) How many of our athletes are underperforming?
                          b) I wonder if the answer is tied to a perception that most of the top athletes are underperforming in the classroom?

What are the facts?
                          How many kids in a particular school or a set of schools are considered athletes? How many of the 'lot' followed from (set the parameters...please) to (set the parameters...please) compared to similar 'lot' of non-athletes are considered to underperform?
                          Facts...please?

...and we should go further...compare kids in simialr circumstance?
                          e.g. single parent, household income levels, distance from school, etc., etc?
                          Facts...please?

What about even doing simple comparisons - look at the various school teams and campare with the kids who never represented the schools?
                          Just facts? Just the facts...please?

Then we shall see what we shall see and would be then able to comment from an informed position. This 'a because yuh nuh kno nonsense'...burns me up! For every athlete I can remember from my school days - Mannings and Munro, that did not make it, I can point to 2 or more non-athletes who did not make it!

Some schools recruit the athletes strickly for sports and never ever make the extra effort to get them to learn. What ISSA is trying to do is to force the schools to care about the academic side.
                          Some schools?
                          Name them?
                          Put a number on the athletes so recruited?
                          Give word on the 'academic ability' of the athlete before he/she was recruited and statement on the 'academic ability' of the athlete on graduation or on leaving the recruiting school?
                          Facts...please?

Nuh badda wid di, 'wi all kno'?

Comment

No student should suffer because of lack of resources at home. The schools should make the effort to assist the student with extra classes and the JAAA and the goverment should invest money in the gold medal wiiners and class champions from champs.

Do we award scholarships based on performance at champs?
                            No extra fees?
                            Was it the government, Clovis/Observer Editorial and Lazie, among others who are/were saying the underpaid...using their own time (time is money) & funds to go the extra mile for students...teachers are extortionists?

You cannot have on the one hand - be asking teachers to go further...work harder...*give more of self...and on the other say you cannot pay enough to afford teachers upward social mobility. It just does nto 'compute'!

*These all need money - Create as best as possible the ideal climate for each child to best learn!

Comment

Working...
                            X