• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Excellent Letter!

LETTER OF THE DAY - Dangerous 'Passa Passa' culture
    published: Friday | August 29, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
    Countries all over that Caribbean are proud to celebrate their cultural heritage. In many different forms, we express to the world how proud we are about where we came from and so revel in the traditions of dance and drums and music.

Over time, we have evolved culturally and have seen the reggae era catapulting Jamaica to the pedestal of the international music stage with a worthy ambassador, Robert Nesta Marley, carrying the banner.

Unbridled vulgarity
    But it is not our cultural glory that is the theme of this missive. Rather, it is its bastardisation into a degenerate form that seriously threatens to destroy our youths. The dancehall culture, with its 'passa passa', is setting up our young people to shoot themselves in the foot.

Why is that our street parties and 'passa passa' fêtes must be the showcase of seemingly unbridled vulgarity? What is more frightening is the fact that a lot of those vulgarity, particularly the role-playing of bawdy and lewd sex acts and 'skin out' (women showing off their genitalia), are happening right here on the streets of Jamaica in full view of minors and school children.

If we are wise enough as a nation to understand the potency of sex to young people then we would know that we should not be playing those games, which has the effect of teasing bystanders, as I have said, including minors of every age and destroying our young people! Usually, those young people are heavy on alcohol and weed!

Positive presentation
    If we want to protect our youth generation we need to do something to arrest this vulgarity. I would prefer to see Jamaica presented as a nation where its youth are positive and aspire for great heights of leadership and success.

I would rather see Jamaica sold as a place where you can come to improve your track and field capabilities and not the devil's chamber of sexual perversion.

I wonder why is that all the role-playing that is being done in those fêtes must be depicting lewd sex acts?

I am, etc.,
    THE PATRIOT relentlessly@hotmail.com

I agree with this letter writer too!

However, I cannot lump all of dancehall in what takes place at passa passa and other street dances. Soca brings out the lewdest acts during carnival, but does that mean soca...you know what, this might not be a good analogy because soca sucks, whether during carnival or not!

Historian, I hate to tell yah, but Usain and Asafa have introduced DANCEhall to Asia and the world now, and it ain't going away any time soon. Did we see any lewd stuff out there?

Don't blame dancehall for the nonsense, Historian, but to be honest, I can understand when one does!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      I wonder why is that all the role-playing that is being done in those fêtes must be depicting lewd sex acts?
      I agree with this letter writer too, Historian. And he makes a good point. Much of the lewdness occurs during street fetes. You can go to a house party or to a club and people will not be "skinning out" to dancehall tunes! It happens with that silly musical form called soca. Lewd acts abound during carnival, but not necessarily in a club.

I hate to break it to you, Historian, but Usain and Asafa have taken DANCEHALL abroad, to China, at dat! We saw them bugging out on stage and there was no lewdness involved.

Don't fight dancehall, Historian. The lewdness does not automatically come with the genre. And we could certainly do without it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Jamaica is a society that is on the decline.

There is virtually no leadership that speaks to moral principles in jamaica.

What do you expect when the retort to the Olympic president (on Bolt's celebration) from the Jamaican prime minister-- is no different from what would be uttered from any of the participant of those lewd acts.

The Jamaican society is on the decline. Dancehall (in general) is ONE major contributing factor...

Very good submission historian!!!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

what lewd act did bolt perform?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Concentrate.

Stick to the topic.

Don't hijack-it!!

HL

Comment

only if mosiah tells me otherwise....i tek it that you don't know....i wanda if yuh did even si it?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I has written (then erased) that you boss will soon be here to instruct you.

Anyway--back to the topic!

HL

Comment

den yuh nuh haffi erase it fellow...a jus suh di ting set everybody done know seh yuh boss is yuh boss, however, YOU are the topic!!

Comment

What's your view on Historian's post?

HL

Comment

i'm not a fan of the dancehall culture either. there's a good song here and there and sometimes the performers might come up with a REALLY good song...like bounti killa's "look", president browns' "to jah only" several a song by buju "hills and valleys" and so on....

not a fan of passa passa...

now back to you you likkle descarado....

Comment

Working...
                      X