KSAC's demolition plan devastates shop owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KSAC's demolition plan devastates shop owners

Tears streamed down the face of one bar operator as she begged for more time while the anger was clear on the face of a jewellery shop operator as she vowed to take legal action to deal with a threat they and several other small business operators face.

In five days, the Kingston and St Andrew Corporation (KSAC) is set to start demolishing a building at 14 Caledonia Avenue in Cross Roads, Kingston, which houses more than 20 businesses. The operators of these small shops are devastated.

No option

But Kingston mayor Desmond McKenzie says the KSAC has no option but to demolish the building which was built without a permit and which represents a safety hazard.

"We have been fighting this matter in the courts now for more than five years and the longer the matter stayed in the court, every week another building was added on because when the demolition notices were served (two weeks ago), this area wasn't tiled; now it has been tiled," McKenzie argued.

He said despite his understanding of the concerns of the business operators, the KSAC had no option but to demolish the illegal structure.

Demolition plan

"We are going to do what is necessary and they have five days and we are just asking them to cooperate with us and to ensure that they comply," McKenzie said as he announced that a former city engineer had been given the job of putting together the demolition plan.

McKenzie was on a tour of the building yesterday where he pointed to several fire safety breaches, even as he tried to wriggle his way into some of the businesses which were little more than holes in the wall.

But the fire safety hazards were little concern for the business operators who claimed some had been operating in the building for more than 30 years.

"What him expect we to do in five days? Him could give we a little more time," a restaurant operator declared.

Her colleague, a jewellery shop operator, was also adamant that they be given more time, but she was not prepared to wait on the generosity of the mayor.

"I agree that we have to come out, but we need more time and I want to know if you are prepared to follow me in taking this to court," she demanded of her colleagues.

Emotional

A bar operator who gave her name only as Michelle tried another tack. She was emotional as she appealed to the mayor and his team from the KSAC.

"Me a operate here for two years and whey me a go put a bar in a five days?" a tearful Michelle lamented.

"Mayor, me live in a ghetto and me can't put a bar on mi veranda, me customers nah go come.

"What breaks my heart is that I have a paper in my hands that says I have to move in five days' time. Just give we some more time Mr Mayor," pleaded Michelle.

Though sympathetic, McKenzie was adamant that the demolition would take place as scheduled.

Legal actions

"We have done everything by the book legally. As a matter of fact, we could have come the day after the court ruling and demolished the building, but we decided to give you some time," he said.

"We understand your situation and we will try to work with you but we have to act now."

Efforts to contact the owner of the building were unsuccessful, while a Cuban man who said he operates as the property manager was unable to provide any information to the KSAC team or members of the media.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

30 years??!!!!!!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

tough decision.....BUT.... one that has to be taken.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
      X