X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposition leader challenges gov’t to pay school auxiliary f

Opposition leader challenges gov’t to pay school auxiliary fees

Monday, 11 August 2008

President of the Opposition People's National Party Portia Simpson Miller has weighed in on the vexing issue of exorbitant auxiliary fees being charged by some schools.

Addressing supporters in Clarendon on Sunday night, she said parents should not be forced to pay auxiliary fees and called on the Bruce Golding administration to foot the bill.

"I agree with you Prime Minister that the parents should not have to pay auxiliary fees but it has to come from somewhere so I am asking you now to accept the responsibility and it would be a good addition to the free tuition that the poor parents would not have to put up," said Mrs. Simpson Miller.
    Meanwhile, Mrs. Simpson Miller took the Prime Minister to task over the recent hike in National Housing Trust interest rates.

She said as a result of the increase many Jamaicans are finding it difficult to meet their monthly mortgage payments.

Mrs. Simpson Miller reiterated her call for the interest rate hike to be reviewed.

The Opposition leader also pledged to increase her presence across the country once the upcoming leadership challenge is concluded, in the event that Prime Minister Bruce Golding calls an election.

"The Prime Minister said that if Dabdoub should win his case, he is not sitting in parliament with him, he is going to call the election. That is reckless and dangerous for a leader to be saying so because I don't know what signal he was sending,"

"I don't know when an election will be called and since I can't predict we must be prepared. Because all the people who said ‘mi and mi neighbour a vote fi Labour' are saying ‘mi and mi neighbour a suffer under Labour'," she said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X