Mosiah, quick question! Is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosiah, quick question! Is

Cement Company of Jamaica operating as a monopoly in Jamaica?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Depends on how you define monopoly.

No, it isn't. There are all sorts of traders in the market and, as far as I know, there is no limit as to how much they can import.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

No, it isn't. There are all sorts of traders in the market and, as far as I know, there is no limit as to how much they can import.
      Okay!!! Thanks.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

But wha bout the almost 50% duty on the imported cement?

Comment

Most, if not all, of that duty was removed a year or 2 ago when there was a serious shortage.

Whe unnu deh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Most, if not all, of that duty was removed a year or 2 ago when there was a serious shortage.

Whe unnu deh?
            Farrin. But mi check seh it was temporary until Cement Company normalised their operations?

Comment

Yes, I believe it was, but I never heard of it being rescinded. And now that Carib Cement has completed its expansion, I don't think there will be any more duties. The duties were imposed, among other things, to allow CCCL to modernise and expand its operations.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X