historian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• historian

i understand that glen johnson's nephew (his brother, tad;s son) has been getting rave reviews as a super talented youngster at the jamaica school of music.....look out for the name wade johnson....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
    i understand that glen johnson's nephew (his brother, tad;s son) has been getting rave reviews as a super talented youngster at the jamaica school of music.....look out for the name wade johnson....
    Thank you, Gamma. I will look out for the young man’s name. I suspect that he’s gotten the same musical genes as his super talented uncle, and so I know he will be awesome!

By the way, the last time I saw Glen play (I think around three years ago), he was so good on the synthesizer that tears almost came to my eyes! It was at a concert, and I will always remember, in particular, his accompaniment to his singing group’s rendition of Richard Smallwood’s gospel hit, “Total Praise.”

Believe me, Glen Johnson is the real deal, an incredibly good musician!

By the way, the members of Sonic Salvation are all scattered far and wide, with most living in various places in the USA. I believe I mentioned to you that the bass player (hopefully, you will remember him) was killed in a freak accident in Grand Cayman last year? He was driving a bus and, while swerving to avoid an out-of-control tow truck (or something of the sort), his bus ran off the road.

Skip was in Jamaica recently with his family on a short visit.

Comment

Historian, I'd like to know your views on who you consider to be the top 3 or 4 bass guitarists to come out of Jamaica.

As a musician, would you say that the bass guitar is not really a complicated instrument to master? In most reggae bands the bass player tends to get a lot of attention but I sometimes wonder if its really justified or its just that we are addicted to heavy baselines.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Of course, comments from the other music-loving forumites are welcome too.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

a just the heavy bassline.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            Historian, I'd like to know your views on who you consider to be the top 3 or 4 bass guitarists to come out of Jamaica.

As a musician, would you say that the bass guitar is not really a complicated instrument to master? In most reggae bands the bass player tends to get a lot of attention but I sometimes wonder if its really justified or its just that we are addicted to heavy baselines.
            Islandman, thank you for asking these very interesting questions! I just checked the forum for only the second time today and so just saw your question.

To answer your second question first, yes, the bass guitar is a complicated instrument to master, but it all depends on the genre that one is playing. If, for example, one is concerned with primarily being a reggae bass player, then it would not be particularly difficult to technically master the bass guitar. This is because reggae's focus is primarily on maintaining a groove. If, on the other hand, one is interested in jazz or jazz fusion (jazz-funk or jazz-rock), then this is a whole different ball game!!

Listen to a bass player like Victor Wooten (YouTube), for example, doing a solo rendition of the Beatle's “Norwegian Wood.” Now, your everyday bass player will never ever be able to do something as complex as this!! If you look at the video, you will see that Wooten uses almost all his fingers in playing those mind boggling arpeggios and harmonics! He is a truly remarkable bass player and musician! And that is a live performance!

Here is the YouTube link for the very complex, classical guitar influenced Victor Wooten bass solo:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9a4ThBNacY

Before I go any further, let me explain that My Top Ten favorite Bass Players in the World are (in no particular order) John Patitucci, Victor Wooten, Jeff Berlin, Stuart Hamm, Marcus Miller, Mark Egan, Steve Bailey, Victor Bailey, Stanley Clarke, and the late Jaco pastorious. Trust me, these ten guys mentioned here are beyond human!

Now, it’s not easy to adequately answer your first question off the top of my head, but I’m going to give you a temporary opinion. Some other time, hopefully, I will try and post a more complete listing of who I consider to be the “top bass players” out of Jamaica. I’m referring here now to guys who are equally at home playing both reggae as well as playing complex Jaco Pastoriuos-style jazz runs and progressions.

First, let me explain that I’ve always regarded “greatest” and “most famous” as two completely different things. Therefore, while Robbie Shakespeare and Aston “Family Man” Barrett, to cite two examples, are world famous, I have never been sure if I regard them as “great” bass players in the truest sense of my definition! Nevertheless, both Robbie and Aston Barrett are genuinely outstanding reggae bass guitarists – certainly among the greatest you’ll find anywhere in the world in the reggae genre!

Leroy Sibbles of the Heptones, by the way, is an outstanding reggae bass player that I don’t think has been sufficiently given his due. Check out many of those Studio One rhythms! That was Sibbles on bass. He is really an excellent reggae technician! (Remember the bass line on the Abyssinians’ classic hit, “Satta Massagana”?)

Another outstanding Jamaican bass player is Benjy Myaz. Then historically, there is Lloyd Brevett of the Skatalites, who influenced a whole generation of ska and rocksteady bass players. A player who held my attention as a youth in the late 1970s was Derrick Barnett of Yellowman's backing band (I cannot recall teh name right now). Barnett was truly awesome!

Top Jamaican Bass Players (My Opinion -- Will Be Expanded Later)

Rohan Reid: Reid formerly played gospel with groups like the Grace Thrillers. He was also the dynamic bass player in the Mutual Life jazz band in Kingston (remember those jazz sessions in Kingston with top notch guys like drummer Desi Jones and keyboardist Peter Ashbourne?). He worked with outstanding Jamaican jazz and classical violinist and keyboard Jon Williams before later becoming a bass player in the Disney World band in Florida. He now lives, works and records in New York. Reid is a remarkable bass player who fits in comfortably with genres such as jazz, jazz-fusion, funk, reggae, and Latin styles.

Glen Browne: There is no question in my mind that this dreadlocked bass player is one of Jamaica’s all-time most technically brilliant bass players! He is equally at home on the electric as well as the upright bass, and his funk-style slapping and plucking, in particular, is very accurate! He has an excellent technique, and is comfortable in jazz, reggae, and other genres. As our fellow poster Assasin correctly pointed out on this forum a few weeks ago, Glen Browne mainly does touring nowadays. In the past, Browne toured regularly with people like Jimmy Cliff, Monty Alexander, and Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers.

George “Fully” Fullwood: This is another monster bass player from Jamaica! Fullwood is one of the most recorded reggae bass players in Jamaica's music history, and he was also a founder of one of Jamaica’s greatest ever show band, the Soul Syndicate band. He was bass player in a version of Peter Tosh’s Word, Sound and Power band, the version that was formed after Sly and Robbie left. I think Fullwood now lives and works in California.

Comment

Thanks Historian. As usual your analysis is thorough and very informative.

I have to run out for a while so I will wait until later when I have some leisure time to watch that youtube clip.

Just two quick responses though:

1)The Yellowman backing band was Saggitaurus. Derrick was the leader/star and was a real entertainer himself but in the later days he developed an oversizd ego and would say just about anything on stage that he felt like. Kind of like a musical Franno, LOL.

2) Sidebar, isn't Youtube the greatest? From live musical performances I thought I would never see, to historical sports and political events, to your wannabe star trying to be outrageous, I can always find something on youtube worth watching.

Comment

Derrick Barnett is an excellent show man. None better than he is.
                Last time I saw him was with Lady Saw and they made moves step by step to every line. Dr. Paul from Spanish town band(can't remember the name) is also a worthy mention on stage.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yep, Derrick Barnett was indeed an excellent showman!! And he was a really good bass player as well. Assasin and Islandman, thank you both for the information on Derrick, and for also reminding me of the name of his band. Those were certainly the days when yellowman ruled!! See now why I get so depressed when discussing the current state of danchall music? (LOL)

Islandman, I completely agree with your statement about YouTube! I use it constantly for the very things you mentioned (sports, music, etc.). In fact, I sometimes smilingly think about life in the pre-YouTube era (LOL)!

By the way, I hope you guys really get a chance to check out the Victor Wooten YouTube link I posted in my reply to Islandman.

Here it is again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9a4ThBNacY

I just watched Wooten once again playing Lennon and McCartney's "Norwegian Wood," and although I've watched this video a million times, I still had to sit back and laugh. This guy's bass guitar technique is so incredible! When you watch this live performance, watch until the very last note is played! What he does is like the bass version of what the brilliant Stanley Jordan does on guitar!!

And now, here's a YouTube video of the immensely gifted USA guitarist, Stanley Jordan, playing the well known, "Over the Rainbow." Note that this is one man playing one guitar in a live performance!! Listening, you might think you're listening to a group of guitarists! This is because Stanley Jordan uses virtually all ten fingers all over the fretboard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMrBYlwHqU

There are many, many other technically brilliant bass players, lead guitarists and keyboard players, particularly in the USA, but also throughout the world.

Comment

I see what you mean. The Wooten piece doesn't even sound like the same instrument the reggae bassists use.

My layman ear enjoyed the Stanley Jordan piece a bit more. Sounds like a whole band playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X