Scholarship for Jamaican High School students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarship for Jamaican High School students

I have been working with a Kingston/St. Andrew Primary School to grant scholarships to graduating grade six students that are going to High School.

With the latest events I am not certain of the direction I want to go.

On one hand, the Prime Minister is saying the tuition being paid to the institutions is enough, but on the other hand the teachers (who I have been working with) are saying don't listen to him and to go ahead with the $20,000.00 scholarship for each student, to cover books, uniform/clothes and the famous auxiliary fees.

What I have been telling the teachers is that in light of the recent events I would rather reduce the amount of the Scholarship and that would allow me to assist two additional students. They are saying no, I should stick to the plan.

By now you should know I live in the US and even though I go back more often than most, I don't have anyone there that can give me an objective point of view.

I am looking for some constructive recommendations.

The prime minister is not saying it is enough. He is saying the school should look and raise private funding as yours.

Go to any school district in America and it is the same problem. Many don't have money to buy basic needs especially the inner city ones. What they are lacking is a good Parent teacher organization, a good old boy organization and fund raiser to get private funds.

While the government must do more but the schools should also reach out to other source for funding as well. Here as you turn around your kid coming with something selling for 10 or 20 dollars to raise fund.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohrass View Post
      I have been working with a Kingston/St. Andrew Primary School to grant scholarships to graduating grade six students that are going to High School.

With the latest events I am not certain of the direction I want to go.

On one hand, the Prime Minister is saying the tuition being paid to the institutions is enough, but on the other hand the teachers (who I have been working with) are saying don't listen to him and to go ahead with the $20,000.00 scholarship for each student, to cover books, uniform/clothes and the famous auxiliary fees.

What I have been telling the teachers is that in light of the recent events I would rather reduce the amount of the Scholarship and that would allow me to assist two additional students. They are saying no, I should stick to the plan.

By now you should know I live in the US and even though I go back more often than most, I don't have anyone there that can give me an objective point of view.

I am looking for some constructive recommendations.
      I retired from the Jamaica classroom in the 1970s...but nothing has been done in the intervening years to change what the PM said to anything better than pure unadulterated crap! ALL our schools, including our post-secondary institutions are terribly underfunded.

Go ahead and give the help! The kids and their parents will be most appreciative!
      As Courtney would have said - Bless!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

True Karl but a lot is also lacking from the administrators.

Remember the days we had school garden and sold it for fund raising?

Each school need a database of old students etc. A few years ago a few past student met, we contacted principal of a school and he said he had an agenda already and he would send info so we could be on the same page but until today nothing has been sent and we had a few people well who could and was willing to give a tidy sum.

Many are afraid of giving and lining someone's pocket.

Sports, club etc better look elsewhere because in few society government provide enough for that.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          True Karl but a lot is also lacking from the administrators.

Remember the days we had school garden and sold it for fund raising?

Each school need a database of old students etc. A few years ago a few past student met, we contacted principal of a school and he said he had an agenda already and he would send info so we could be on the same page but until today nothing has been sent and we had a few people well who could and was willing to give a tidy sum.

Many are afraid of giving and lining someone's pocket.

Sports, club etc better look elsewhere because in few society government provide enough for that.

Sass: In every situation you have those afraid of their shadows.

Just look at our football and the slow rate at which we progress? part of that reason is too many are unsure of selves and are always 'looking over their shoulders' at those who they perceive as threats to their positions.

...then there is the egomaniacs....those who want to be lauded as only ones to "do"!

Trust me those teachers who do not embrace help are those who 'slipped by' and found themselves 'in charge'.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
          X