Informer Fe Dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Informer Fe Dead!

(Extract from the news story below): Declaring that the police would strengthen their own resolve to get the gunmen, Lewin urged: "Now more than ever is the time for citizens to come forward and be counted in the fight against crime."

THEY are absolutely necessary if any civilized society is to survive the terrors that anti-social elements are capable of unleashing upon innocent men, women and children. In urban inner cities of the USA, THEY are called “snitches.” In Jamaica, THEY are called “informers.”

Now, when I write about the overriding negative effects of dancehall culture, there are always individuals who are quick to jump to dancehall’s defense. Well, as I’ve always said, we are ALL responsible in some measure for Jamaica’s slowly crumbling society, as we ALL saw the signs. The multiplicity of problems faced, after all, did not just spring up overnight!

In the case of the contempt and, in some cases hatred, with which informers are regarded in modern Jamaica, this, of course, did not originate within the dancehall culture. However, certain prominent messengers of the dancehall culture did their very best to disseminate the popular perception that “all informers fe dead!” And we cheered and gave gun salutes while those with prominent voices – the legislators, the law enforcement bodies, the church, the human rights groups, the lawyer groups – all smiled and turned a bling eye. After all, it was nothing more than giving a voice to the dispossessed in Jamaica via the vehicle of music. After all, it would have no effect whatsoever on the psyche of entire communities.

Well, there we have it: The ****************ing chickens have come home to roost!

One dead cop per month
    Murders hit the 926 mark as Commissioner urges public help in fight against crime
    Kimmo Matthews, Observer staff reporter
    Monday, August 04, 2008

Police were last night digging for clues that could lead to the killers of two senior policemen, an inspector and a corporal, who were among eight persons slain over the weekend, pushing the country's murder tally to approximately 926 since the start of the year.

The weekend killings also brought to eight the number of cops murdered since January 2008, or an average of one a month, and prompted a renewed appeal from the commissioner of police, Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin for citizens to help fight crime.

Declaring that the police would strengthen their own resolve to get the gunmen, Lewin urged: "Now more than ever is the time for citizens to come forward and be counted in the fight against crime."
    He urged members of the public to play their part by calling one of the secure lines, Operation Kingfish 811, Crime Stop 311 and Police Control 119 to tell what they knew.

"With your help, I am sure that the perpetrators of these murders and other criminals will be brought to justice," Lewin said, and offered "my deepest sympathies to the family, friends and colleagues of the slain officers".

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    ...the legislators, the law enforcement bodies, the church, the human rights groups, the lawyer groups – all smiled and turned a bling eye.
    Let's not get carried away wih our disgust of that practice. I have never subscribed to this "informer fi dead" behaviour and there is no human rights group that would agree to it. In fact, I have preached against it everywhere I go, including the ghettos I visit from time to time. They know I don't play that!

Yet, I love dancehll music! Go figure!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      the legislators, the law enforcement bodies, the church, the human rights groups, the lawyer groups – all smiled and turned a bling eye.

Is that a "freudian slip"? -"bling eye"
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
        [/center]
        Maybe a da bredda ya him a talk to.....

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
          [/center]

Yep, it is (LOL). Reading it now, though, it is sure jokey!

Sharp eyes, Peter R, and great sense of humour, Lionpaw (LOL).

By the way, the spelling of "fe" instead of "fi" was an error.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Let's not get carried away wih our disgust of that practice. I have never subscribed to this "informer fi dead" behaviour and there is no human rights group that would agree to it. In fact, I have preached against it everywhere I go, including the ghettos I visit from time to time. They know I don't play that!

Yet, I love dancehll music! Go figure!
            Suh yuh hin-clude yuhself now innah dat "we are all to..."?
            Welcome!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

huh?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X