RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama now support some offshore drilling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama now support some offshore drilling?

Obama shifts on oil drilling?
    Posted: 04:03 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt
    Obama said Friday he’d be open to offshore drilling if it were part of a comprehensive energy policy.

ORLANDO, Florida (CNN) – Barack Obama said Friday that he would be willing to compromise on his position against offshore oil drilling if it were part of a more overarching strategy to lower energy costs.
    “My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices," Obama told The Palm Beach Post early into a two-day swing through Florida.
    "If, in order to get that passed, we have to compromise in terms of a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage - I don't want to be so rigid that we can't get something done," Obama said.
    The senator from Illinois has railed against offshore drilling since John McCain in June proposed striking down the federal moratorium banning offshore oil and gas drilling to help alleviate high gas prices.
    “When I’m president, I intend to keep in place the moratorium here in Florida and around the country that prevents oil companies from drilling off Florida’s coasts,” Obama told reporters in Jacksonville in late June. “That’s how we can protect our coastline and still make the investments that will reduce our dependence on foreign oil and bring down gas prices for good.”
    Even as recently as Thursday, Obama refused to cede any ground, calling McCain’s proposal “a strategy designed to get politicians through an election.”
    “It's not going to provide short-term relief or medium-term relief or in fact long-term relief. It won't drop prices in this administration or in the next administration or in the administration after that,” Obama said while campaigning in Iowa.
    But Friday Obama admitted that something is better than nothing and praised a bipartisan energy plan from the Senate that combines alternative energy innovation, financial, nuclear energy and drilling proposals. He noted he is still skeptical about drilling’s potential to lower gas prices or reduce dependence on foreign oil.
    “The Republicans and the oil companies have been really beating the drums on drilling," Obama said in the interview with the Florida paper, "and so we don't want gridlock. We want to get something done.”
    The McCain camp was quick to applaud Obama’s softening on the issue.
    “It’s clear that members of both parties are following John McCain's leadership toward an ‘all of the above’ approach on energy that includes nuclear, alternative energy, and offshore drilling,” said a McCain spokesman. “We hope Barack Obama will realize that his ongoing opposition to John McCain’s realistic energy solutions and additional offshore drilling is wrong.”

Filed under: Barack Obama
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Obama has repeatedly said he is not approving drilling in certain areas especially when these entities have not drilled in many of the areas that they have access to. The oil man them trying to use the politics so that them can drill where they have their eyes on.

Comment

A few weeks ago I said he had to change his stance somewhat because he was against offshore drilling totally but the American people is shifting. The most recent poll is saying 60% of Americans are for it at this point.

Well I am happy he is for some drilling now as to be totally against it totally will not help him to win anything.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

He has to modify his position, since many people believe if we start searching for oil on Sunday it will affect the price of gas on Monday.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Obama shifts on oil drilling?
          Posted: 04:03 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt
          Obama said Friday he’d be open to offshore drilling if it were part of a comprehensive energy policy.

ORLANDO, Florida (CNN) – Barack Obama said Friday that he would be willing to compromise on his position against offshore oil drilling if it were part of a more overarching strategy to lower energy costs.

“My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices," Obama told The Palm Beach Post early into a two-day swing through Florida.

"If, in order to get that passed, we have to compromise in terms of a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage - I don't want to be so rigid that we can't get something done," Obama said.

Filed under: Barack Obama

Isn't that what Hillary said and Obama bitched slapped her? ...and person here applauded?

Hi gamma and Don1, lovely day...isn't it?

Hillary actually said drilling must be a part of the solution! A position with which I agreed and still agree 100%!

Obama's 'mex them up...and spit it out...crap' [quote] "If, in order to get that passed, we have to compromise in terms of a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage - I don't want to be so rigid that we can't get something done," Obama said. [quote]

Now you tell me who was suggesting and or presenting a plan that would not be /did not have expectation of being carefully thought-out and would not not take into consideration many different obstacles and or problems that would have to be best addressed?

Well...we can take comfort that at last he is coming to his senses!
          Last edited by Karl; August 3, 2008, 01:14 PM.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl, the primary is over. Either support the nominee or the opponent or get out of the way.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              Karl, the primary is over. Either support the nominee or the opponent or get out of the way.
              I am supporting Mr. Obama. He surely gets my vote...but I am rubbing some of the facts on his unfair and lying acts in the faces of *those who disputed them during the primaries!

* those who gave me hell for pointing them out during the primaries.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Oh, you mean he is engaging in some old-style Washington politics?

I like and support Obama but anybody who really believes he is some kind of new politican is fooling themselves. Politicians are only successful if they win elections and they win elections by saying what regular people want to hear.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

New and different only win the Primaries.

Comment

Working...
                  X