• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Historian:Rastafarian are "TRUE PATRIOTS" of Jamaica

PATRIOT: One who loves his country and supports it's authority and interest

Rastafarians make annual march to King's House
    Vaughn Davis
    Saturday, August 02, 2008

Rastafarians from the Ethiopia Africa Black International Congress participate in their annual road march to King's House yesterday. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    APPROXIMATELY 150 Rastafarians yesterday marched to the gates of King's House in Kingston, seeking audience with Governor General Sir Kenneth Hall, to ask him to lobby the Queen of England on their behalf for their repatriation to Africa.
    The march, which was organised by members of the Ethiopia Africa Black International Congress, began in downtown Kingston.

The Rastafarians - who were dressed mostly in white head wraps, and white shirts and pants as well as long, black capes - marched around Parade, downtown Kingston, seven times before they travelled to King's House on Hope Road.

"It's something we do every year. It's on this day, Emancipation Day, that they took the shackles off our feet. And emancipation really means to send us home, so we trod to King's House to ask the governor general to deliver a letter from us to the Queen," a Rastafarian, who identified himself as His Honourable Priest Earl, told the Observer yesterday.

"It's an every year thing, but we really wouldn't like to come back again next year," he added.
    Earl admitted, however, that the march did not yield the kind of response the contingent desired.

"What they are telling us is nothing new, but we have to come and try still," Earl said.
    Though the march prompted the calling of the police to the scene, no incidence of violence was reported
    Last edited by HL; August 2, 2008, 11:26 AM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

HL a how much Rasta dat you count? About 20 or as Lazie would a "quote" 20,000
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good eye Assasin!

One would think that if this was and on-going annual affair--it would gain momentum; and mini-bus upon mini-bus loads of Rastas (Mosiah incl.) would be descending on Kings 'ouse.

HL

Comment

Maybe the photo caught the tail end of the procession.

Comment

Why should the "queen" be lobbied? This is 2008 (not 1708, nor 1808, nor even 1908). If a man wants to go back to Africa why petition the queen of England? Just put a money together, go to the proper African embassy and file papers for asylum, residency, or visitancy [is that a word ] !!

One thing we must keep in perspective is that blacks in the western world are very far removed (over 300 years) from our ancestral home in Africa. We have been taken from various regions of Africa (from the west coast to the east coast), and that continent today is not like it was back in the 15th to 19th century. Africa has been chopped up in many pieces, colonised by different parts of Europe, inculcated by manyy different cultures and languages, and have been seriously affected in some regions by many war-torn years. If we want to go back now, can we identify a particular country where we can fit in, and will the people of that country accept us? These are serious questions that Rastafaris must look at before demanding repatriation!
          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Why should the "queen" be lobbied? This is 2008 (not 1708, nor 1808, nor even 1908). If a man wants to go back to Africa why petition the queen of England? Just put a money together, go to the proper African embassy and file papers for asylum, residency, or visitancy [is that a word ] !!

One thing we must keep in perspective is that blacks in the western world are very far removed (over 300 years) from our ancestral home in Africa. We have been taken from various regions of Africa (from the west coast to the east coast), and that continent today is not like it was back in the 15th to 19th century. Africa has been chopped up in many pieces, colonised by different parts of Europe, inculcated by manyy different cultures and languages, and have been seriously affected in some regions by many war-torn years. If we want to go back now, can we identify a particular country where we can fit in, and will the people of that country accept us? These are serious questions that Rastafaris must look at before demanding repatriation!
            "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

The Rasta movement needs leadership based on the Hasidic Judaism model. Anytime I see a Hasidim --I think that the Rasta could be very similar in their impact on the society they occupy.

The Judeo-Christian beliefs of the Rasta is very deep and of great historical substance. The problem appears that the Rastafarian leadership does not place real education and true economic/captialistic independence as essential to it's foundation and development.

They are a very powerful and 'independent' sect withing the Jewish system.

Here's what I am talking about:

Last edited by HL; August 2, 2008, 01:58 PM.

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                HL a how much Rasta dat you count? About 20 or as Lazie would a "quote" 20,000
                I just came online and saw your post, HL. Thank you for posting that news story and photo.

Assasin, the small numbers mean absolutely nothing! Most who might be inclined to march would clearly have grown tired after years of watching this fruitless exercise!

If many Rastafarians could afford to, they would do what rasta woman Rita Marley did (she moved her entire household, servants and all, to the West African nation of Ghana).

I'm still inclined to one day post my personal detailed view on why there is little about Rastafarian that would qualify them as being patriotic to Jamaica, because argue as we might, they are simply NOT patriotic! In fact, references to the impact they made on Jamaica's culture is a waste of time when talking with me, as their culture was developed as a means of solidifying their identities OUTSIDE of mainstream Jamaica!

Comment

Historian I think maybe you missed the sarcasm in the title of my post.

I placed "true patriots" in inverted commas. Also upper-cased it for emphasis. I also defined Patriot (again) and placed it in blue.

The article itself shows that this sect is lobbying to leave their country of birth...making them very non-patriotic!!

I support your previous conclusion the Jamaican Rastas are non-Patriots.

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    Historian I think maybe you missed the sarcasm in the title of my post.
                    HL, I didn't misinterpret your post, boss (LOL)! I saw the sarcasm immediately, which is why I thanked you in my second sentence for posting that news story.

My response was certainly not aimed at your post. I was replying specifically to Assasin's comment (I wasn't sure if he was making it in jest or if he was seriously defending the so-called patriotism in rastas).

Comment

Have a good week-end Historian!!

Getting ready to start mine in 55 minutes.

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                        Have a good week-end Historian!!

Getting ready to start mine in 55 minutes.
                        Thanks, boss. I've been working on several small personal projects all day, and I'm going to take a break now and go to sleep.

You have a great weekend as well, and happy Independence Day on Monday!

Comment

Well it took how much years to reach that level ? 3000 , Rasta is on its way .
                          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The fact that you live in the USA makes you any less patriotic to Ja(something else is to be blamed)?...or is it something you want but not for others?
                            It remains a statement to the baldhead rulers you misconstrued to be mainstream Jamaica.
                            Mainstream Ja is the majority, the not so rich so to speak,those that are most vulnerable to police abuses, neglected by the people their votes elect, raped by the private owners of various utilities....etc.

Blessed
                            Last edited by Rockman; August 2, 2008, 07:24 PM.

Comment

True bout de Queen chat, but the focus is on Africa,the nuance of that statement has long worn off, we have to at some point see it other than for its face value.

Blessed

Comment

Working...
                              X