Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Contract... over to Islandman

Originally Posted by Islandman
    Don1, give me a better idea of what you would be looking for in this kind of social contract. A commitment to build/improve schools? new public housing? new social services in the depressed communities?

Something on the level of the Great Society that President Johnson laid out in the US in the 60s?

Recognizing that poor social relations are our biggest impediment to progress:

GOJ or some independent commission should develop a STRATEGIC plan to move the country forward in important sectors and associated tactical plans to give effect to it.. concentrating on education, dismantling garrisons one by one and immediately replacing/upgrading the social, economic and infrastructural elements in these communities with comprehensive but smart investment.... one can't just root out criminals from these places... we breed them like rabbits and a new set will take over... so something must replace them on an economic & social level. (that this does not happen with crime plans.. is a primary reason for their failure).

That plan must be presented to all important stakeholders in the country:

All political parties
    All unions
    civil society and non-governmental groups
    reps from depressed communities- urban and rural
    private sector

Lock them up in a room with an independent honest broker/elder statesman leading... with instructions not to come out before they have a consensus agreement on some form of that plan signed by all who will sign.

Importantly... televise the proceedings to discourage/expose posturing and stupidity.

Present that plan to the nation as our solemn roadmap to progress and have an independent executive agency with reps from those same sectors oversee putting it into action with proper accountability.

Dedicate/encumber by law (requiring bi-partisan approval to revoke/change.. is that possible?... maybe not )PetroCaribe funds for this effort over 10 years... say US$300m/year more to education, vocational and job training, community social development and slum/squatter upgrading.

After 10 years and US$3b wisely spent mainly on education/training and community development.. we will have a shot at a better society and sustained growth.

spent all of 10 mins on this post and no response from islandman? not ah backside!
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

what if the parties don't agree?

Where else has this social contract worked?

Are also trying to have a political unity in the frame work?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      what if the parties don't agree?

Where else has this social contract worked?

Are also trying to have a political unity in the frame work?
      I don't know of this particular model existing anywhere except in my head.... but Jamaica presents unique political and economic features (eg garrisons) and requires unique answers.. this is just my 2 cents.

The previous administration was looking at Ireland's model.. the results are excellent but we are not Ireland and whatever they did may not be replicable in Jamaica.

Of course political consensus/agreement (not necessarily unity) is required.. that's the biggest hurdle... if there is none .. it falls apart.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

At least you are been honest about it.
        I see it as a hard sell because of political egos as seen in the recent JLP(Bruce/Seaga) PNP(Portia/Phillips) and the caribbean single market issues and politcal postering.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          At least you are been honest about it.
          I see it as a hard sell because of political egos as seen in the recent JLP(Bruce/Seaga) PNP(Portia/Phillips) and the caribbean single market issues and politcal postering.
          yes it's very difficult to achieve consensus with our political (mis)leaders... but I don't see any other real hope for the country really progressing.

bird cyaan fly pon one wing.

Comment

Don1, I saw the post but no time to reply tonight in detail.

In a nutshell you have some decent ideas but I think it would take a govt with a much stronger support base than the current one (something like Manley 72-74) to be able to implement a plan like that which would require so much consensus.

We can discuss some more tomorrow though.

Respect.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              Don1, I saw the post but no time to reply tonight in detail.

In a nutshell you have some decent ideas but I think it would take a govt with a much stronger support base than the current one (something like Manley 72-74) to be able to implement a plan like that which would require so much consensus.

We can discuss some more tomorrow though.

Respect.
              ok boss.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post

Originally Posted by Islandman
                Don1, give me a better idea of what you would be looking for in this kind of social contract. A commitment to build/improve schools? new public housing? new social services in the depressed communities?

Something on the level of the Great Society that President Johnson laid out in the US in the 60s?

Recognizing that poor social relations are our biggest impediment to progress:

GOJ or some independent commission should develop a STRATEGIC plan to move the country forward in important sectors and associated tactical plans to give effect to it.. concentrating on education, dismantling garrisons one by one and immediately replacing/upgrading the social, economic and infrastructural elements in these communities with comprehensive but smart investment.... one can't just root out criminals from these places... we breed them like rabbits and a new set will take over... so something must replace them on an economic & social level. (that this does not happen with crime plans.. is a primary reason for their failure).

That plan must be presented to all important stakeholders in the country:

All political parties
                All unions
                civil society and non-governmental groups
                reps from depressed communities- urban and rural
                private sector

Lock them up in a room with an independent honest broker/elder statesman leading... with instructions not to come out before they have a consensus agreement on some form of that plan signed by all who will sign.

Importantly... televise the proceedings to discourage/expose posturing and stupidity.

Present that plan to the nation as our solemn roadmap to progress and have an independent executive agency with reps from those same sectors oversee putting it into action with proper accountability.

Dedicate/encumber by law (requiring bi-partisan approval to revoke/change.. is that possible?... maybe not )PetroCaribe funds for this effort over 10 years... say US$300m/year more to education, vocational and job training, community social development and slum/squatter upgrading.

After 10 years and US$3b wisely spent mainly on education/training and community development.. we will have a shot at a better society and sustained growth.

spent all of 10 mins on this post and no response from islandman? not ah backside!
                Yup, this is quite a decent proposals and would work if faithfully implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                  Yup, this is quite a decent proposals and would work if faithfully implemented.
                  High praise from a fellow 5 star general!

Is this a benefit of membership to that club?

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                    High praise from a fellow 5 star general!

Is this a benefit of membership to that club?
                    LoL

Just calling it as I see it.

I am not highly biased one way or another. I pride myself on being abe to pick sense from nonsense.

Comment

Portia: Relinquish di Ego an Leggo di Social Kontrak NOW!!

Mi nuh need 5 more year to be proven correct....as I was in the previous 4 years and 3 months of futility

Memba mi tole unnu seh JLPNP cyaan manage di werk..

Comment

Eddie would be perfect Elder Statesman.. plus him write di book on transforming garrisons/squalor into socially positive and progressive communities !

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                          Eddie would be perfect Elder Statesman.. plus him write di book on transforming garrisons/squalor into socially positive and progressive communities !

just like TIVOLI.....

such a wonderful place

Comment

perfect model.. check it out...

Comment

Yeah ..one DayWalking Vampiya tuh di rescue

A Tale From the Crypt is di ongly ting dat cyan write

Comment

Working...
                              X