Limited State of Emergency targeting illegal guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited State of Emergency targeting illegal guns

In what is being considered an unusual response, a local human rights activist has come out in support of a suggestion for a State of Emergency as one measure to address the country's crime problem.
    Head of Families Against State Terrorism (FAST) Yvonne McCalla-Sobers said a limited State of Emergency would have the desired effect in controlling crime.

Commenting on possible measures to take illegal guns off the streets, Mrs. McCalla-Sobers said an amnesty would not be the answer.
    "I would really agree with a very limited state of emergency targeting getting rid of the guns ... but it has to be specific and the integrity level needs to be very high," said Mrs. McCalla-Sobers.
    She was speaking on the RJR Group's Crime Forum aired on Television Jamaica on Wednesday night.

Extensive list of resources still lacking
    Another guest on the Crime Forum, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Mark Shields who is charge of crime, bemoaned the fact that the Force was still without critical resources.
    He said the shopping list is extensive.
    "We need some of the basics such as dogs to pursue people, drugs and firearms. I would like our own air wing as well, with our own helicopter or to share with the JDF (Jamaica Defense Force) so that we can use it proactively ... there's so many things ... I can go on and on," said DCP Shields.

The curtain will come down on the Crime Forum Thursday when the spotlight is turned on the issue of social intervention.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

The last govt. did not have the will.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Man, I heard MacMillian on NNN yesterday and he sounded very frustrated. It nuh matter what is done, people gonna have problems. Any State of Emergency is going to cause some fuss, so I'm surprised to hear FAST coming with this.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
      X