RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing firm - MacMillan says Government will stick to ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing firm - MacMillan says Government will stick to ..

Standing firm - MacMillan says Government will stick to anti-crime measures

National Security Minister Colonel Trevor MacMillan is insisting that the Government will not bend under pressure from interest groups who have been criticising some of its recently proposed anti-crime initiatives.
    MacMillan's comments came yesterday, the same day the Jamaican Bar Association placed on record its apprehension over any measures that would effectively reduce or take away the court's power to determine bail or lengths of sentences.
    Addressing journalists after a ceremony to honour correctional officers at the Terra Nova Hotel in St Andrew yesterday, MacMillan said Jamaicans must accept change.
    He said given the country's current crime situation, the announced measures - which include the refusal of bail for 60 days to persons charged with serious crimes and repeat offenders - were the best for the country at this time.
    "I am not a lawyer, I'm not a 'constitutionist', and I live in a world in which people are being killed and, therefore, we have to do something to stop the killing," MacMillan declared.
    "We are living in some horrible, dangerous times. We have to respect people's rights. I respect the human rights of people, but I respect the human rights of those who have been killed also."
    Bar calls for comprehensive approach
    However, the Bar Association said it remained convinced that a comprehensive approach, including social re-engineering, poverty alleviation, reduction of criminal influence on political and governmental activity and rehabilitation must be implemented if long-term results are to be achieved.
    "We further believe that emphasis needs to be placed on strengthening the police's investigative resources, rather than according to them discretion which ought properly to be proposed in judicial authority," a Bar Association spokesman said in a release.
    During his main address, MacMillan called for the 43 correctional officers being honoured for long service to support the recent crime-fighting measures outlined by Prime Minister Bruce Golding.
    "We can't be resistant to changes, but want changes at the same time," MacMillan told them.
    After Golding announced the initiatives last Tuesday, human-rights advocates and the legal fraternity launched a firestorm of criticism.
    In addition to the amendments to the provisions for bail, the prime minister said persons convicted of gun crimes and sentenced to serve more than 10 years would be eligible for parole after a decade. In defending the Government's anti-crime strategies yesterday, MacMillan said the crime measures were designed to remove some of the criminals and "evil people" out of a particular area, so that the security forces and social intervention activists could move in and rehabilitate the communities.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

MacMillan backs his boss!
    Legal issues should be decided by the lawyers.
    I would like to know if those audacious suggestions made by Bruce are the only ones he has?
    I do not buy for a minute the argument that the current laws are inadequate......
    The PM and his ardent backers are without a crime plan that can really be implemented, and nothing was left to contingency.
    This will likely be an absolute disaster, and the PM has already shown his desire to suspend/ignore the constitution.
    Extra-judicial killing is another extreme.

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
      MacMillan backs his boss!
      Legal issues should be decided by the lawyers.
      I would like to know if those audacious suggestions made by Bruce are the only ones he has?
      I do not buy for a minute the argument that the current laws are inadequate......
      The PM and his ardent backers are without a crime plan that can really be implemented, and nothing was left to contingency.
      This will likely be an absolute disaster, and the PM has already shown his desire to suspend/ignore the constitution.
      Extra-judicial killing is another extreme.

Blessed
      Lawyers or judges?

Comment

Well I would imagine the arguments from the lawyers count for something in the process, but yes, a lawyer turned judge will make the final ruling..

Blessed

Comment

Working...
        X