Tell them to fire me! - Clarke as PNP war heats up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell them to fire me! - Clarke as PNP war heats up

Wednesday, 30 July 2008 The war of words between the camps of the two People's National Party (PNP) Presidential candidates is threatening to turn ugly.

Things took a turn for the worse Tuesday night when Portia Simpson-Miller supporter and PNP Vice-President Emeritus and party Treasurer Roger Clarke declared that he is prepared to be fired from the Party for comments made on RJR earlier this week.

Mr. Clarke has been under fire from Dr. Peter Phillips' campaign team which has accused him of undermining efforts to unite the PNP.

On Tuesday, the Phillips' team wrote to General Secretary Peter Bunting calling for Mr. Clarke be disciplined for breaching the code of conduct for the presidential election.

Mr. Clarke, who appeared on RJR's daily current affairs discussion programme Beyond on the Headlines on Monday, had warned of further division and more bad blood in the Party if Dr. Phillips proceeded with his challenge for the leadership.

The usually calm Mr. Clarke was on the warpath when our new centre spoke with him Tuesday night.

He said he has been a member of the PNP for 50 years and is in a position to determine what is right from wrong for the Party.

Mr. Clarke declared that he would not withdraw his statement and dared any member of the PNP to force him to do so.

"If that is what they want me to retract tell them to fire me from the PNP, who can let them do it and those who are talking about that tell them about me and ask them what is their history in the party," he said.

When elephants fight the grass dies

Mr. Clarke insisted that his statement had not damaged the PNP and he was only speaking the truth on what is happening inside the 70-year old Party.

"Regardless of what anybody wants to say a division is going to be perpetuated in the party because we saw what happened last time. I used an analogy to say when two elephants fight, the grass dies and in this instance, the PNP is the grass and the two elephants are el numero uno, the Party Leader, who is being challenged for the first time in our history in this way," said Mr. Clarke.

Members of the Party's Secretariat have refused to comment on the turn of events.

A senior official told RJR News Tuesday night that he was awaiting a copy of the transcript of Mr. Clarke's statement on Beyond the Headlines in order to determine the next move.

Phillips should withdraw

The PNP Secretary also publicly called on Dr. Phillips to withdraw his bid for the Presidency of the PNP.

Mr. Clarke said Dr. Phillips' challenge will only serve to destroy the Party.

"I told him so and I'll say it to him again ... in the interest of the party (he should withdraw his challenge). I outlined to him in very vivid detail what will happen.

I have been watching what's been happening recently and it's obvious that some people want to silence others but I will not be silenced. I have to speak up ... this is my 50th year with the People's National Party," he said.

Roger being disingenuous - Solid as a Rock

Mr. Clarke is not the only senior PNP member adding his voice to the fray.

Member of the Phillips Campaign John Junor said contrary to Mr. Clarke's utterances on RJR's Beyond the Headlines on Monday, discussions took place about Mrs. Simpson-Miller's leadership of the PNP.

Mr. Junor said Mr. Clarke was well aware that members of the Party had expressed concerns about Mrs. Simpson-Miller's leadership.

"There were many people including people in the Simpson-Miller camp who raised concern about issues of leadership and her conduct. I think that Roger is being disingenuous if that is the argument he's seeking to advance that there were no discussions internally on this issue.

If he meant that we didn't go to an NEC (National Executive Council) meeting or an annual conference to discuss this matter he would be correct but to say that there were no discussions and no disquiet expressed, would in fact not be true," said Mr. Junor.

He was speaking on Beyond the Headlines on Tuesday.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Mi notice nobody touching this issue? What? A hot patty? Mi tink say it was only in the JLP dem tings yah gwaan? Then again as Burke pointed out .. the internal democracy is a farce.

Callin all komrades ... wha unuh affi say?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

mek it play out....nuttin fi anybody seh really.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        mek it play out....nuttin fi anybody seh really.....
        Strange ... I recall the days when there was alot to say when such things were going on in the other party. Used to read some post bout "due to the constant infighting in the party it shows they're not ready to run the country."

Suh wha happen now? Kitty got dem tongue?

Comment

you are quite silly.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What was so bad about what Clarke said? Where is the indisciplined speech or behaviour?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              you are quite silly.
              Actually ... those in yuh religious order are the ones that are being quite silly. But nuh you name Mosiah ... obviously yuh wouldn't see that.

Comment

Critics of the Book of Mormon sometimes claim that Joseph Smith simply combined the names Moses and Isaiah into Mosiah.[who?]

Comment

As in Maud and Dibby?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thank you mr. Clarke, it's getting ridiculous
                    now. Dr.Phillips is not a leader, Nanny P with her vision and kindness allowed dr.phllips to stay on as veep. How did he reward her? By organizing a coup; this is all intellectuals in third world countries are good for organizing coups, being traitors and running their contry further in the ground. Dr.Henry Wilson has not done anything for Ja on her watch as minister of Education (in the info age this position is akin to national security). The most Dr. Henry Wilson can say is early childwood education. Duh? We all know that, secondary and tertiary education need retooling to meet the demands of the info age. Nanny P should have given her a kindergatern to run.All they can do is to splinter the party and totally destroy it.

Why is it that the JLp would love Dr. Phillips to lead to PNP? That's akin to saying Mexico or Honduras should pick Ja's starting eleven for the next WC qualifiers.

When terrorist were shooting at stations and murdering police officers (dead police on motor mike in town street) Dr. Phillips was taking a plane.

Bunch of clowns and and carry down artists in the PNP; everytime the PNP gains some ground on the JLP something happens. This time around Phillips is moving to divide and destroy the PNP, hence giving the JLP about three straight terms. Why? I for one would never evr see him as no leader.

Done talk.

Comment

Jawge, first thing can you please stop with the Portia and "vision" its no longer funny.

Based on what you conclude that the JLP wants Peter to win? Thats sounds as if you still getting your information from the same source that fooled you about the price of gas in Jamaica.

"Bunch of clowns and and carry down artists in the PNP"

As Ms. Lou would say, "CLAP YUHSELF!!" Finally yuh seeing the light. Hope you realize that Portia is the biggest clown of the bunch?

Comment

oh yeah mek yuh party neva get certain money
                        fi give di hungry and uneducated and di biggest clown would be PM today.

Yuh know suppen mek ah stop mi gone.

Comment

ahh.. with all due respect.. the PNP have held power for 28 of the 36 years since the 1972..

Yuh nuh hear what happen to craven puppy ?

Unnun is a sick set.

Comment

Wooiiiieee..

"Comrades, I was not going to stop projects dat were on di ground.."

Yes yuh bettah stop, yuh in 18 years of quicksand..

Comment

i wonder why that happened?

but nuh worry, it look like we about fi give unnu 18 years tuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X