Presidential challenge bad for the party – Clarke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential challenge bad for the party – Clarke

Two days after People's National Party (PNP) President Portia Simpson-Miller called for greater unity in the 70-year-old organization a senior officer of the Party is predicting further division and more bad blood.
    With the countdown now on to the presidential election, PNP Treasurer Roger Clarke is concerned that the leadership challenge will further widen the split in the Party.

To this end, he is questioning whether the challenge by Dr. Peter Phillips will do the PNP any good.
    Mr. Clarke who is a known supporter of Mrs. Simpson-Miller said he is worried about what will become of the Party after the election in September.

"When there were rumblings, we had meetings at the highest level and I as an officer of the party asked will there be a challenge?
    I look at both comrades Phillips and Simpson Miller as two elephants within the party and the PNP as the grass and I say whatever façade you see out there, the wounds are opening," said Mr. Clarke on RJR's daily current affairs discussion programme Beyond the Headlines on Monday.
    PNP Chairman Robert Pickersgill and General Secretary Peter Bunting have admitted that party members are openly taking sides in the race for the top job.

Personality, not Party
    Commenting also on Paul Burke's retiring from political activities, Mr. Clarke said this will not affect Mrs. Simpson-Miller's bid to be re-elected as PNP President.

Mr. Burke who served as a PNP organiser was Deputy Campaign Manager in charge of Field Operations for Team Portia in the 2006 Presidential race.
    "I wouldn't say this is a blow to the Party Leader's campaign, probably it has helped because what came out of Paul Burke's resignation is that what is happening is about personality and not the party," said Mr. Clarke.

After announcing his departure last Sunday, Mr. Burke issued a strongly worded eight page letter.
    In the letter he said he was disgusted by the current leadership race, describing it as a contest centred on personal ambitions.
    Mr. Burke said he would not participate in either of the two campaigns.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Mi nuh understand? NNN was able to get their hands on a copy of that Burke letter, whats up with the Gleaner and the Observer?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Mi hear that all the PNP big wigs them off the island or involve in important meetings except Mr. Paul Burke.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        Mi hear that all the PNP big wigs them off the island or involve in important meetings except Mr. Paul Burke.
        Di man say the internal elections within the party has been corrupt from the 90s. Easton Douglas when asked about it yesterday attempted to attack the messenger. Portia A S S Kisser LAmbert Brown only kept singing that the PNP won 4 elections and got 400,000+ in the last election.

Comment

Working...
        X