Think We Have Problems??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think We Have Problems??

Our problems are immense, but if we examine what is happening amongst our neighbours, we'll see that Jamaica is certainly not alone as far as serious social problems are concerned!

Source of story below: The Trinidad Express

Hire foreigner

Whistle-blower: No to local CoP

Carolyn Kissoon South Bureau
    Monday, July 28th 2008
    CORRUPTION IN SERVICE: Chandrabhan Maharaj
    A foreigner should be given the post of Commissioner of Police. He should have integrity, professional knowledge, good conduct, dedication and leadership qualities.

And he should be experienced in high tech surveillance and intelligence gathering and proper crime fighting techniques and skills.

These were some of the suggestions made by former Superintendent Chandrabhan Maharaj, who retired in February after 38 years in the Police Service. Maharaj caused a stir when he refused to accept the position of Acting Senior Superintendent in charge of Southern Division last year, citing rampant corruption in the Police Service.

Maharaj, in a letter dated July 3 sent to Prime Minister Patrick Manning and copied to members of the Government and the Opposition, suggested that the commissioner's contract should be nothing more than three years. Depending on his performance, his contract can be reviewed, Maharaj said.

He said the foreigner should then be allowed to select a team of officers to be placed in sections of the Police Service. "It is common knowledge that if you are unable to solve a problem you should let someone else try," he stated.

Maharaj wrote that the Police Service Commission continued to make mistakes in selecting the right person for the job. "They are not looking for candidates with a track record in crime fighting. All the candidates in this year's race are relying on academic qualifications and a certain percentage of reactionary policing. If you ask the question, how many persons in the Police Service Commission have any training in policing so they would know what they are looking for the answer is 'very little'. Their selection would be the same old khaki pants as the present and past commissioners," he stated.

He noted that the Police Association, which he described as a trade union movement that looks after the welfare of the members and not the general public, was "totally against" the selection of a foreigner commissioner. But, Maharaj said, the appointment would have a major effect on the issue of crime, as far as the reduction or increase in serious crime is concerned.

He said the man appointed as commissioner should first take on the task of purging the police service of "the undesirables". "If this is not done he would not be able to harness the crime problem," he said.

Maharaj also referred to several cases where police officers have engaged in alleged corruption while on duty. Among them were missing money from the San Fernando Police Property Room, cocaine valued millions of dollars disappearing from the Narcotics Room at the Princes Town Police Station, a gun lodged for safe keeping disappearing from the Mayaro Police Station and two businessmen on murder charges were allowed to leave the country.

Maharaj said attorneys should also take blame for the current crime situation. "They make all sorts of wicked and nasty allegations against witnesses while the witness is giving evidence, especially police officers. Certain attorneys have reached an all time low by attacking the Justice of the Peace, who witnesses cautionary statements," he said.

this is comforting.

i think.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not comforting

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      this is comforting.

i think.
      Not really meant to be comforting, and the truth is that it's not comforting in any way.

However, I deliberately posted the above news story, despite the fact that it has absolutely nothing to do with Jamaica, in order to try and provide a regional perspective to some of Jamaica's problems.

While many of the problems we face seem larger than life in Jamaica because of a number of reasons (larger population, political tribalism, etc.), similar problems do exist in other Caribbean territories. We have only to look at the case of St Lucia in their general elections last year (I think it was 2007 and not 2008) to see an example, as one of the principal reasons their government was voted out in favor of the prehistoric John Compton was because crime had reached record-breaking levels in St Lucia.

In fact, conditions (social and/or economic) are so bad in most Caribbean countries that virtually every government who ran in a general election in the past two years was voted out in favour of the opposition -- St Lucia, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados, Grenada (there is one other that I cannot remember as I'm typing). I am open for correction here, but I think the only government that survived a general election in the past two years was the Bharrat Jagdeo PPP government in Guyana.

Comment

belize...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
        X