• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double Barrell

'Double Barrel' takes twin shots at overseas charts
    published: Sunday | July 27, 2008

Mel Cooke, Freelance Writer

Ansell Collins
    The man sitting on a [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]bench[/COLOR][/COLOR] at Devon House, St. Andrew, with the long fingers of one hand holding a digital recorder smiles as he tells The Sunday Gleaner "Ansell Collins a de firs' man go on the Billboard chart with a deejay and instrumental. We a the first one do it before Shaggy an' every one of them".
    In fact, the keyboard player, along with Dave Barker on vocals chanting "I am the magnificent … ", did it when Orville 'Shaggy' Burrell was three years old, 'Double Barrel', peaking at 22 on the American charts and topping the listings on the British side of the pond.
    Considering that Collins uses Shaggy as a reference point, it is ironic that the song was recorded at West Indies Recording Studio, 16 Bell Road, St Andrew, the year that he was born. Vincent Whyte was on bass guitar, Sly Dunbar ("A young Sly," Collins chuckles) played drums, guitars were courtesy of Bobby Aikens and Lloyd Parkes and Collins was on organ and piano.
    Ansell Collins' role
    Although there were a number of musicians, though, Collins emphasises, "Ansell Collins write Double Barrel bassline, all the line, the piano melody". And he paid for the recording session (Lynford Anderson of RJR was the engineer) as well as the musicians.
    "Well me get a idea. I was in a band called RHT Invincibles and we used to play all 'bout the place, country, everywhere," Collins said, adding that GT Taylor was the MC. "A little Rasta man named Father Gooden, him did have a bakery down Spanish Town Road …. This time we down Olympic Way," he said.
    So, after one rehearsal there, "Sly and myself leave. And me sey 'Sly, lissen to dis idea', and we sit down and work out the tune together".
    "And it becomes a big hit," Collins said, recorded on all of one track.
    Double Barrel was kept under wraps for a while, though, and if it wasn't for Anderson, chances are it would have been a tale with a different ending. "Lynford Anderson tell Winston Riley (of Techniques) about the song. Them get in touch with me and get Dave Barker to do the 'I am the magnificent'. I don' have no control over that part," Collins said.
    "It come out in [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] first an' go on with a thing and fly over to England and do bigger things."
    He did not expect Double Barrel to be so successful. "Me surprise yes. But Sly predict it long time. Sly Dunbar sey 'this tune gone, it sell millions'. And it did. Everywhere that song was very, very big".
    top of british charts
    He heard that it hit the very top of the British charts while he was living on Central Avenue, off Lyndhurst Road in St Andrew.
    Hitting it big in England meant cross-Atlantic [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]trips[/COLOR][/COLOR] to perform there, Dave Barker and Ansell Collins doing 'Top of the Pops' and also TV shows in European countries such as Belgium and Holland, as well as concert performances in England.
    And Collins chuckles as he remembers those days, long before music [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]videos[/COLOR][/COLOR] were commonplace. But the 'Top of the Pops' clip is still there to mark the early Double Barrel days.
    Steven [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Stanley[/COLOR][/COLOR] (left), Ra-umi Alkebu-lan and Ansell Collins in the studio. - Contributed

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

'sass...yuh think yuh can find that "top of the pops" clip? PLEASE?!!! historian?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

This is a very nice article, and it's the type of music history that I love to read! There have been several books on reggae published, but nevertheless journalists and freelance writers such as Mel Cooke play a very vital role, as not everything is covered when the books are written.

Bobby Aikens, incidentally, had become a Christian by the late 1970s. In fact, the last time I saw him he was preaching in a church. I have fond memories of him to some extent, as when I was a youngster I attended his guitar classes on about three occasions. He was quite a good guitarist, not among Jamaica's very best, but nevertheless quite a good player.

I had asked a question yesterday, but nobody answered. My question was this: Was Pluto Shervington a member of that 1970s rock steady and reggae group from Mandeville, Tomorrow's Children?

Comment

historian ... yuh know garth white...otherwise known as g white? not a musician but moved with that crowd...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Re: Garth White

Gamma, sorry about the late response.

While I know local music historian Dermot Hussey, I'm sure that I never met Garth White personally, although I know of him. From what I can recall, White used to write regularly for a newspaper, but I cannot remember which one. He has also written quite a good deal of material on Jamaican music, and I remember looking at some of his stuff years ago in the UWI bookshop.

Like Dermot Hussey, Garth White is extremely knowledgeable about the evolution of Jamaican music.

Comment

G white wrote the eulogy read by seaga at bob marley's funeral...he is my uncle in law...if there is such a thing.

he is a prolific writer and a LOT of firsthand information....

Comment

Gun Culture reigns supreme....

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                I had asked a question yesterday, but nobody answered. My question was this: Was Pluto Shervington a member of that 1970s rock steady and reggae group from Mandeville, Tomorrow's Children?
                Tomorrow's Children?

Ken Lazarus - Vocals
                John "Mandingo" Jones - Vocals
                Pluto Shervington - Vocals & Guitar
                Barry Collins - Vocals & Guitar
                Cornell Marshall - Vocals & Drums
                Steve Batchelor - Bass
                Garth Creary - Organ
                Clive Morris - Brass
                Jerome Franscique - Brass

Side One
                1. Get Together
                2. It's all in the game
                3. War
                4. Wig Wam
                5. Make me smile
                6. Bend Down

Side Two
                1. You keep me hanging on
                2. No Nola
                3. I can't help believing
                4. Wild World
                5. In the Summertime
                6. Psychedelic Train

As stated on Album - "The Going's Great with TOMORROWS CHILDREN".
                RCORDED AT FEDERAL RECORDS MANUFACTURING CO., LTD

Arranger - Ken Lazarus
                Producer - Richard Khouri
                Recording Engineer - Louis Davidson
                Jacket Design - Ronnie Nasralla
                Photography - Richard Khouri - Karl Whitbourne

You sent me to my archives!
                Last edited by Karl; July 28, 2008, 10:13 PM.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                X