In Defense of HL (Part I)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Defense of HL (Part I)

HL has often been derided on this forum for his seemingly pro-American stance, and his sometimes brutal, sometimes condescending look at Jamaica. But the question is this: Can we in all honesty blame HL for his despair? Another question in, how is it possible for such a resource-rich (including people) nation like Jamaica get things so wrong when it comes to making decisions?! And get it wrong all the time?!

The amazing reality is that Jamaicans, with absolutely no help from outsiders, have turned our country into one sad, tragic, horrifying soap opera while at the same time providing comic relief (no doubt) for some other Caribbean nations. In fact, all some Caribbean leaders have to do to move forward socially, economically, culturally and politically is to ensure that they and their people do the exact opposite of what is done in Jamaica by Jamaicans!!

The following has been copied from today's Daily Gleaner.

issue: The all-night-long Sumfest double standard

published: Saturday | July 19, 2008

The all-night-long Sumfest double standard

A lot has been said both in a Gleaner editorial and by several letters in regards to the extended allowable hours that Sumfest 2008 may be allowed go on. I am in total agreement with the comments in regards to the double standards, but I want to address another concern.
    Is it my imagination or has the first noticeable thing that the new minister of security has ordained is that the police are to turn a blind eye to a very public disregard for the law? A law that the new commissioner would hope to build his credibility on. What I still fail to understand is why should Sumfest go on all night? Why would Minister MacMillan need to have stepped in?

There is no reason other than unprofessional and deliberate organising to have too many acts, start late, and have overlong band changes with an agenda to sell more drinks and to have bragging rights that the show went on till sunrise. The reality is that the shows could start earlier in the evening, say 5 p.m. Band changes can be more organised. Patrons don't care if they see 10 or 20 acts, as long as the show was good and well done.

event issues
    At the Cricket World Cup opening ceremony, there were Buju, Sly and Robbie, Jimmy Cliff, Lucky Dube, Third World and several other bands, including a 30-piece orchestra. Longest band change, three minutes. Shortest full band change, three seconds. The whole music section of the show was one hour.

Since when did Sumfest become a national event? I thought Festival was a national event. No festival event goes on till 6 a.m.
    - Disgusted and Disappointed

Is that your defence of HL? Even I could come with a better one.

May Sumfest and other such "festivals" continue throughout the night, provided they do not disturb residential neighbourhoods.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There is nothing wrong with sumfest going late. Its a festival and there should be appropriate application zoning and controls of those events. sumfest, jazz festival Western Conciousness, Ram Jam ect should be granted those exception. Those street dances and impromtu events should not..

Comment

Laws MUST Be Obeyed!!

My titled Defense of HL post above is merely Part I (the first of several parts to come), although I most likely will change the title out of respect for HL.

But Mosiah, you miss the point of law and order in societies when you look at the matter of obeying the law on a selective basis, as you appear inclined to do in this case! The highly touted Sumfest, simply put, is not more important than other events else in our society!

But you know what? It’s hard to take my country seriously when our officials fight to ensure that laws on the books are obeyed, and then turn around and break those very laws!!!

While Jamaica’s greatest problems at the present time seem to be the twin evils of violent crime (particulary homicide) and unemployment, the sorry mess that our society is in right now didn’t come overnight!! The warning signs were there from the 1960s, including, most importantly, the countless laws that were ignored by virtually everyone from the top to the bottom of the society.

Until the night noise law is removed from the books (and the last time I checked, parliament was the only entity under our Westminster Parliamentary system that can effect laws), this law HAS to be obeyed by everyone!!

Yet we grumble when school kids do ****************….

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          HL has often been derided on this forum for his seemingly pro-American stance, and his sometimes brutal, sometimes condescending look at Jamaica. But the question is this: Can we in all honesty blame HL for his despair? Another question in, how is it possible for such a resource-rich (including people) nation like Jamaica get things so wrong when it comes to making decisions?! And get it wrong all the time?!

The amazing reality is that Jamaicans, with absolutely no help from outsiders, have turned our country into one sad, tragic, horrifying soap opera while at the same time providing comic relief (no doubt) for some other Caribbean nations. In fact, all some Caribbean leaders have to do to move forward socially, economically, culturally and politically is to ensure that they and their people do the exact opposite of what is done in Jamaica by Jamaicans!!
          HL taught you well!

Condescending drivel that only HL could rival. You seem to believe that just because you live ova dehso, somehow you are no longer as dumb as those of who have remained on the Rock or have returned to it.

You and HL need to either get off your high, yankee-doodle horses and give a hand (or a remittance ) or just leave us the hell alone.

Oh, did I already extend a "welcome back" to you, Historian? Good to have you posting again!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes .. they could start the event earlier, but what about local patrons who have to work then head to the event? Would it be fair to them? My brethren that I went with had to work first ... twas minutes to 8 when he was ready.

On Real Business 2 weeks ago, it was pointed out that when the reggae festival was held in august, that was the month that had the most tourists arrival. Sumfest was moved to July and now that is the month with the highest arrivals. The hosts of Real Business is yet to despute that claim.

Last year I planned my vacation around sumfest. On the plane some passengers were discussing which nights they were going. An Italian couple sitting next to me, who were on their way to Negril for their honeymoon was asking if it was difficult to get to the event from Negril.

People need to take a step back and come again. Sumfest if it isn't a national event as yet, should be declared so ASAP. Sumfest has been good for our economy. We should be having more events like this to draw the tourists.

Maybe there could be less artistes on each night .. but then, those in the Tristate area could simply wait for Irie Jamboree. Better yet, events being held away from residential areas shouldn't have the same restrictions as those that are disturbing people who want to sleep.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I guess we need to look at what the Noise Abatement Act says. In my book a "noise" is some sound that disturbs others. If Sumfest, Jazz Festival or whatever is held somewhere far and away from established residential neighbourhoods, then certainly, it need not stop by the 2:00 am hour.

The badwud law is another massive waste of time and of precious few resources. Not because it is law means it makes sense. Yes, it should be amended before it is broken, but why can't our stupid parliamentarians get up from their slumber and change the 100s of ancient laws that we have on our books?!?

In the meantime, in protest of these dumb laws, Bounti and others should step up their breaking of it and give Caesar him $2,000 + tax!
              Last edited by Mosiah; July 19, 2008, 11:14 AM. Reason: made no sense heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Re: Sumfest Going Late

OJ, see my response to Mosiah above.

What about the people who have no interest in Sumfest? Are they to be made to suffer the cacophony of noise that passes for music as a result of the need by a few to make quick money?

In any case, what is the benefit of Sumfest to Jamaica’s economy and society? I can assure you that the benefits are much less that we may realize! I could show you societies that I’ve visited in the past where neighborhood parties end by midnight in ALL cases, following the guidelines of the law.

Growing up in Jamaica, the dancehall and sound system was part and parcel of society, and even then I used to wonder about the hardworking people and the school children who ask nothing more than to be allowed to sleep peacefully in their own homes. And these same music makers go to countries where such **************** is never tolerated and they fall in line!

Thankfully, as seen in the recent problems experienced by artists such as Tony Matterhorn, Bounty Killer, and Mavado, and cultural aberrations like Passa Passa, some of our Caribbean sister nations are prepared to draw the line!

Question is, when will Jamaica’s authorities come to their senses? (As I have usually done over the past two decades or so, I silently wish for a Fidel Castro to assume leadership of Jamaica, as western democracy seemingly is not suited for every society.)

Comment

Carnival and Jazz Festival will become "national events" before Sumfest. Classism? Perhaps!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Re: Sumfest and Air Jamaica Jazz!

Mosiah:

First, as in your case, I have no real interest in Trinidad or its culture, so I will not comment on carnival. I have a huge record and CD collection, but there is not even one calypso or soca recording in this collection. This should let you know where I stand regarding soca/calypso and carnival.

Secondly, do not mistake my views on Jamaica’s political, social and cultural landscape as coming from one who has abandoned Jamaica. I am 100-percent Jamaican to the core, and in my view Jamaica and Jamaicans will always come first! This is why, for example, I have never been an enthusiastic supporter of CARICOM.

Thirdly, do not attempt to bring class into this! Some of us did not spend countless hours, for many years, patiently and diligently mastering our chosen musical instruments just to sit and watch some talentless, two-bit hack of a musician define the musical way forward! A comparison of Air Jamaica Jazz Festival and Sumfest, therefore, has nothing to do with class!! Since when does ones preference for the incredibly beautiful creativity of, say, pianist Monty Alexander or guitarist Ernie Ranglin over the syncopated, predictable riff-raff of a dancehall band on stage at Sumfest become an issue of class? Next, you will be looking at our educational output and equating higher degrees with class!!

Now that I’ve gotten those issues off my chest, let’s look at your attempt to compare truly creative, meaningful, challenging, demanding music (jazz) with the rubbish that today blasts our ears everywhere we turn (dancehall). And of course, I am aware that Dancehall Night is always the most attended at Sumfest, another reason for my pessimism and frustration with my country. No surer sign is there of a disintegration of a society than when one watches its culture slowly but surely disintegrate. The cultural meltdown today parallels the corruption and crime that exists.

So while we once relished the genuine talent of our reggae performers of the late 1960s to 1990s, the ska and rocksteady performers of the 1960s, and the refreshing, creative theatrical works of Louise Bennett and Rex Nettleford and Barbara Gloudon and countless others, what do we have today? Mavado and Bounty Killer and Adonia???

To make a long story short, I will never ever place the Air Jamaica Jazz & Blues Festival on the same level as Sumfest. Of course, Sumfest is the more popular of the two with patrons, but “popularity” does not always equate to “quality.” In fact, just the opposite is true. At the Air Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival you will see and hear people who know music, and who give us music with melodies, harmonies and unusual rhythms that moves the listener in a way that no repetitive, two-chord dancehall rhythm (created by some musically illiterate studio engineer or producer) can!

End of musical story!!

Comment

Can we accept the fact that times have changed, and to compare a Cat Coore or a Monty Alexander with a Steven McGregor just makes no sense whatsoever?!? Cat and Monty can probably play any number of instruments, but can they do what Steven does?

The music of the day is never accepted for what it is. You think Elvis' music was always appreciated? I hear people talking about good reggae music of yesteryear. Unnu tink people did always love it?

And you and HL always believe it is a Jamaica thing, that these things are sure signs of Jamaica's unstoppable slide into the abyss. Tell me, how do rap sales compare with other genres in the USA?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Careful Historian. They will begin to trace you off because of the TRUTH.

Continue to keep your submissions at the high levels that you have maintained.

But excellent submission as usual.

Be aware that your post on the ('musical story')..is beyond the scope of some readers. Look for attacks. Stand firm. NEVER compromise your standards.
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

As long as your advice does not enter into the realm of geography or football, carry on!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

did he just say "stand firm"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

What yuh tink bout di dual-citizen 'law' ?

Comment

Working...
                              X