Update on Harold Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Harold Butler

A week or so ago I posted comments on the work of Jamaica’s outstanding keyboardist, Harold Butler. Here’s an update from today’s Daily Gleaner.

Second helping from 'the Butler'
    published: Tuesday | July 15, 2008

Butler

THE BUTLER Did It, the 1978 album, featuring troubled keyboardist Harold Butler at his creative best, will be reissued next month by VP Records. This marks the first time the set will be released on compact disc.

A release from VP said The Butler Did It will be released on August 28. It is part of the Queens, New York company's extensive reissue roster, which also includes titles from producers Joe Gibbs and Henry 'Junjo' Lawes.

Thirteen songs
    The new-look, The Butler Did, It has 13 songs, some written or arranged by Butler and performed by artistes who recorded mainly rhythm and blues-type reggae.

Among these artistes are Cynthia Schloss whose Love Forever is on The Butler Did It. Other songs include Beres Hammond (One Step Ahead), Ernest Wilson (Let Love Be Your Right-hand Man) and Pam Hall and Orville Wood (Book of Life).

From a musical family
    Those songs were released in the late 1970s when Butler was an in-demand session musician, arranger and producer. The Butler also contains, Crying In Soweto, Butler's moving tribute to the South Africa township which was a hotbed of activity during the years of apartheid in that country.

Harold Butler is from a musical family. His older brother, Leslie, was also a noted keyboardist who played at the prolific Federal Studio in the 1960s and 1970s.

Leslie's younger brother followed in his footsteps, recording and touring with Bunny Wailer, Dennis Brown, Jimmy Cliff, Culture and Judy Mowatt. Harold Butler played on some of the seminal reggae albums of the 1970s and early 1980s, including Culture's Two Sevens Clash and Mowatt's Black Woman.

His career has been stalled since the late 1980s by mental illness. In recent years, Butler has recorded and performed with guitarist Maurice Gordon at jazz events, including Jazz In The Garden, and at the Red Bones Blues Café.

Your timing (that of your post) was impeccable it would appear, or are you an inside trader?

pr
    Peter R

Comment

Timing Mere Coincidence

Actually, Peter, it was by sheer coincidence that I made last week's posts on Harold Butler! Can you imagine my surprise when I read this morning’s Gleaner and saw that there was a feature on this keyboard genius?

Speaking of coincidences, I’ve always wondered why those three incredible talents (Harold Butler, Lennox Gordon and Calvin McKenzie), probably the most promising musicians anywhere in Jamaica in the mid to late 1970s, all had their lives end in tragedy. (Butler and Gordon both ended up with mental problems, and McKenzie experienced a freak car accident.) At least Beres Hammond (who used to often hang out with Butler and Gordon back in the late 1970s) is still around reaping his well-deserved success.

Comment

over the past year there has been a few articles on Butler and he has played a few venues.

Beres days with Butler has been classical from Jah Armi to early Berres.

Berres Hammond still one of the coolest guys around.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

"The Butler Did It" huh?

I have not purchased a CD in quite some time.

I will certainly get this one.

Historian, what can you tell me about Cedrick Brooks--in terms of albums (CD) available on the market?

Thanks in advance.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Re: Cedric "Im" Brooks

HL, this might surprise you, but just like in your case, I too have not purchased a CD in a long time!

So, as far as new releases are concerned, I’ve not been keeping up, at least not as much as I used to up to a decade or so ago. Part of the reason, of course, is my frustration with the abysmal state of Jamaican music in recent times, and so aside from the occasional releases from new, genuine reggae talents like Etana, Tarrus Riley and Da’Ville, I’m basically in the dark.

I think there was a Skatalites CD released a couple of years ago, and Cedric “Im” Brooks was featured on that CD. I’m not absolutely sure of this, however, and might check later when I get a chance.

Buying that Harold Butler CD (“The Butler Did It”) is something I would definitely highly recommend, as this album (like everything by serious musicians such as Cedric “Im” Brooks, Tommy McCook, Monty Alexander, Carlos Malcolm, etc.), is essential in any serious collection of Jamaican music! Trust me, you will not be disappointed with “The Butler Did It”!

Comment

If they have any new Album it could be found in Europe and not in the US unless some specialty store out inna Cali have it.

Shatta can do a markup sale .
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

OH JOY!!!!!!!!

i was speaking with derrick harriot and he told me that he had been trying to encourage the production of this CD as he was getting so many requests for it......

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Assasin and Gamma

One day (probably tomorrow), we can spend some time discussing some of the really outstanding musicians that “little” Jamaica has produced! I’m talking now about the movers and shakers behind the success of ska, rock steady and reggae; the true musical masters!

I’m talking here about often unheralded guys like drummers Leroy “Horsemouth” Wallace, Paul Douglas, Santa Davis, Sparrow Martin and Carl Ayton; guitarists like Hux Brown, bassists like Leroy Sibbles, saxophonists like “Deadly” Headley Bennett (remember the Sound Dimension band and also that hauntingly beautiful sax solo on Delroy Wilson’s “Dancing Mood”?), and so on.

Comment

Nice...looking forward to that...btw, were any of these musicians world class, or because they were jamaican and it is jamaican music it doesn't count?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

unless you hear Monti with Phillis Hyman(his former sister-in-law) Sly and Robbie playing on "Genius of love" or "My Jamaican Guy" with Grace Jones or Dr. Paul with Janet Jackson etc.

Did you know that one of the most demanded studio in the US is Inner Circle Studio in South Florida? Run by the group of the same name. That is where a "who is who" in music record.

Comment

this morning i was listening to some some killa milla....."fire a guh burn dem" and "why can't we be friends"......the man had a nice body of work bad ssssssssssoooooooooooo much promise!

inner circle have about 35 -40 years in the business as a band....

Comment

Ever heard of one Mavado, Historian?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

~~~groan~~~

...there goes the darn neighborhood
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                            X