Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally some decent security policies from Bruce

Harsh penalties
    Government contemplates drastic legislative changesBY PAT ROXBOROUGH-WRIGHT Editor-at-Large Western Bureau roxboroughp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, July 14, 2008

MONTEGO BAY, St James - Motorists who are caught behind the wheel without their driver's licences could be immediately locked up under proposed legislative changes being contemplated by the ruling Jamaica Labour Party, in a desperate bid to address the country's growing crime dilemma, highly placed sources told the Observer.
    GOLDING. may decide to adopt measures in answer to the country's growing crime rate
    "One strike and you're out. Once the police pull you over and you don't have it, that's it. you're gone. straight to the lock-up until you can produce it. No more five days grace period to produce anything," said our source.
    According to the source, the draconian measure is one of several legislative changes that Prime Minister Bruce Golding may decide to adopt and announce this week in answer to the country's cry for the administration to do something to stem the tide of killings. The others concern:
    . the expansion of powers currently available to the Jamaica Defence Force to include those available to the Jamaica Constabulary Force;
    . a national DNA database which will be built up from information taken from blood samples of Jamaicans;
    . a national fingerprint database; and
    . an amendment to the Bail Act, which will see the period for which the police can legitimately detain an individual without charge moving up from 48 hours to 42 days in relation to cases of rape, murder, firearm offences, arson, affray and treason.
    If Golding decides to implement the proposals, he will be sure to encounter strong opposition from human rights activists. In fact, just two weeks ago, House Speaker Delroy Chuck - a senior member of Golding's administration - closed the second joint meeting of the Caribbean Ombudsman Association and the Central American Council of Human Rights Ombudsmen with a warning that an adoption of the proposal to extend the period under which Jamaicans may be detained without charge, would give rise to an international scandal.
    In addition to the warning, Chuck's closing address urged the Government to resist the temptation to adopt criminal-like behaviour in its endeavour to address the country's crime problem. His words were roundly endorsed by the meeting which was attended by several senior human rights icons, including Dr Lloyd Barnett of the Jamaica Independent Council for Human Rights; Public Defender Earl Witter; former Public Defender Howard Hamilton QC; and defence attorney Clayton Morgan.
    There is also strong opposition to the proposal for extended detention among the Jamaican public as was revealed in the latest Observer/Don Anderson Poll published a week ago.
    According to the poll, conducted between June 25 and July 2 among 1,000 persons islandwide, 50 per cent of respondents said that they would not support the proposal; 36 per cent were in favour of its introduction; 11 per cent were unsure about their position; and three per cent had no opinion.
    Anderson said that opposition to the proposal from a demographic perspective "came more so from males, younger persons and persons in the lower socio-economic groups in the society", while "those who primarily favoured the proposal were more females and younger Jamaicans".
    Added the pollster: "This proposal has been strongly opposed by some persons on the grounds that this would place too much power in the hands of the police in an environment where there are obvious concerns about the way they currently execute their duties."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

To push these through, are they going to need the support of the opposition?

Again, I'm not too enthused about the 42 days detention. If dem rounding up the Dudus, Skendon, Anthony Brown etc ... I'd have no problem. But I can see how this can be abused by the police.

Furthermore those databases are more long term ...what are the measures to deal with the situation now?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie the database is now. As a man get lock up him go inna the database.

You know much crime that can help with over the next year? if implemented.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        Lazie the database is now. As a man get lock up him go inna the database.

You know much crime that can help with over the next year? if implemented.
        Hey ... maybe I have a problem understanding ... didn't see where it was already implemented or being implemented now.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Well all me know is that them use it to put away Zekes so it has already been done, just need to be extented as fast as possible.

Comment

As I said before, they need to fast-track establishing and implementing the DNA Database, by going through the prison system and getting DNA samples from the prisoners.

What about getting samples and inputting the results in the database for all employess in law enforcement?
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I am for it. Once you get charge fi a serious crime you need to be DNA. All government work should be DNA. If you want to work for government then you shouldn't have no problem.

Comment

Yup. In the USA, in order towork in government, you haffi go through all sorts of FBI checks.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Cops can not properly manage a crime scene, much less maintain a nationwide DNA database.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

We do not need cops to maintain the DNA database.
                    Last edited by Me; July 14, 2008, 11:21 AM.

Comment

An amendment to the Bail Act, which will see the period for which the police can legitimately detain an individual without charge moving up from 48 hours to 42 days in relation to cases of rape, murder, firearm offences, arson, affray and treason.
                      This authority will be abused by the police, and the underclass will suffer!
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

what if he is not convicted is the information discarded...

Comment

yeah , we dont need to increase this. here is the novel idea NO BAIL for Murder charges

Comment

I would like to say no but know the police them will bring in people just to get DNA.

Comment

Are you serious?!?

If after 18 years this is what OBG is coming with, then let me be among the first to express my extreme disappointment. I am sure he will say more later this week, because a coulden it dis!

And, for what it's worth, why couldn't this have been done 8 months ago?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X