The financial analyst always like to say that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The financial analyst always like to say that

certain financial instituations are too big to fail, well now them say Fannie and Freddie are to big to BAIL!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

The American dream turns into a quagmire

Commentary: 'Credit Crunch-the sequel' bigger than the original

By MarketWatch.com

(MarketWatch) -- To paraphrase a recent newsmaker, America's mortgage chickens are coming home to roost.

The incipient collapse of Freddie Mac will in all likelihood dump an additional $5 trillion in debt onto the national books by making explicit the companies' dependence on the American taxpayer as their ultimate backstop.
    No glib politician, let alone Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, will be able to talk their way out of this one.
    And the world's leading sources of capital, China and the Gulf oil states aren't about to sign on to support the political priorities of Washington, D.C. politicians looking to subsidize home ownership and get themselves re-elected.
    Instead, America is just going to have to work its way through this mess on its own.
    It will not be a pleasant process.
    Wall Street will cherry-pick the productive mortgages, and the rest will be dumped on everyone else's doorstep.
    People who didn't borrow cheap money they couldn't afford and who paid their mortgages on time, will nonetheless have to pony up more taxes to cover the losses incurred by their profligate fellow citizens at the prodding of an elected class that sought to extend homeownership to every American capable of casting a vote.
    Maybe, just maybe, the political class will finally have to own up to making some difficult choices: eliminating a couple of aircraft carriers for a start, and that $100 billion a year they spend on the department of education.
    It might be a good idea to scrap that new air tanker contract too, given that they can't seem to get it awarded anyway.
    If they had any real guts, they'd use this occasion to get rid of the mortgage interest deduction. After all, given that Congress' popularity rating is in single digits already, why not take advantage of the opportunity?
    And if the Iraqis can't use their oil wealth to outsource their internal security needs with oil pushing $150 a barrel, they're never going to be able to.

A high school teacher of mine used to say it didn't matter how much money the government borrowed because it was a measure of how much faith
    Americans had in their future.

We're about to find out.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

oh what a difference a LETTER makes!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I really have a hard time seeing those two companies fail.

The Asian Govts own the majority of their debt and the sovereign funds own a significant portion of their preferred stock. The U.S. Bond Markets rely on them.

Too many key stakeholders involved.

Comment

I think you right. If they are allowed to fail we probably looking a Great Depression type of scenario.

We might haffe join Assasin and MdmeX inna Portland and start plant cause 'merica would not be pretty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
        Fannie Plan a `Disaster' to Rogers; Goldman Says Sell
        By Carol Massar and Eric Martin

July 14 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Treasury Department's plan to shore up Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is an ``unmitigated disaster'' and the largest U.S. mortgage lenders are ``basically insolvent,'' according to investor Jim Rogers.

Taxpayers will be saddled with debt if Congress approves U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's request for the authority to buy unlimited stakes in and lend to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Rogers said in a Bloomberg Television interview. Rogers is betting that Fannie Mae shares will keep tumbling.

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. analyst Daniel Zimmerman said the mortgage finance companies' shares may fall another 35 percent and lowered his share-price estimate for Fannie Mae to $7 from $18 and for Freddie Mac to $5 from $17. Freddie Mac fell 14 cents, or 3.3 percent, to $7.61 at 2:33 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange trading, while Fannie Mae rose 50 cents, or 4.9 percent, to $10.75.

``I don't know where these guys get the audacity to take our money, taxpayer money, and buy stock in Fannie Mae,'' Rogers, 65, said in an interview from Singapore. ``So we're going to bail out everybody else in the world. And it ruins the Federal Reserve's balance sheet and it makes the dollar more vulnerable and it increases inflation.''

The chairman of Rogers Holdings, who in April 2006 correctly predicted oil would reach $100 a barrel and gold $1,000 an ounce, also said the commodities bull market has a ``long way to go'' and advised buying agricultural commodities.

`Solvency Crisis'

Rogers, a former partner of hedge fund manager George Soros, predicted the start of the commodities rally in 1999 and started buying Chinese stocks in the same year. He traveled the world by motorcycle and car in the 1990s researching investment ideas for his books, which include ``Adventure Capitalist'' and ``Hot Commodities.''

Billionaire investor Soros said today that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac face a ``solvency crisis,'' not a liquidity one, and that their troubles won't be the last financial disruption, Reuters reported.

``This is a very serious financial crisis and it is the most serious financial crisis of our lifetime,'' Soros told Reuters in a telephone interview. ``It is an idle dream to think that you could have this kind of crisis without the real economy being affected.''
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Nothing will change until people like

Franklyn Raines, his predecessors, and his appointers/backers GO TO JAIL!

While you are at it, half the Bush Cabinet should join them.

Unno think a likkle things dem do behind the scenes to create this mess. I am preaching it for years. Open secret to rhatid.

Comment

Raines should go to Jail for what? Paying himself big bonuses?

Comment

Oh,

I see you didnt understand what took place!

Yuh think its just Bonus?

Try a Portia style NHT play on a grander scale.

Comment

Please expand? because if anything, I am of the view that Raines moved it from a Portia style money losing NHT towards a proper run financial company.

Comment

Would have to be Later,

That is a big task and I would have to dig up my references.

Suffice to say I did my digging on this years ago and have posted the conclusions here from as far back as 2003.

Comment

Well I will wait till later. Looking forward to seeing your opinions.

Comment

I will get back to you, but you giving me big work...

However, you seem very interested, so i will give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                      X