Violent Crimes - Bahamas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violent Crimes - Bahamas

"Last year, the national security minister revealed that more that 100 suspected murderers were out on bail."

"Wednesday's heist is the second bank robbery in four weeks."

Bank robber was on bail for murder

By KRYSTEL ROLLE, Guardian Staff Reporter, krystel@nasguard.com

One of the men who participated in the daring daytime robbery that left four people nursing gunshots wounds on Wednesday, was on bail for murder, Minister of National Security Tommy Turnquest revealed yesterday morning -- highlighting the need for a more stringent bail act.

In fact, two of the three men involved in the midday heist have a criminal history, Turnquest said at a press briefing at police headquarters yesterday morning.

Suspected murderer, now suspected armed robber James Miller was on bail for the murder of Cecil Coakley, 28, who was gunned down on Christmas Day in 2006.

Yesterday, Mary Ferguson, Coakley's mother, said her son's suspected killer should have been remanded to Her Majesty's Prison.

"Even though I know our legal system doesn't work like it should work, he shouldn't have been on bail. It's terrible. It's hurts sometimes to see that our justice system isn't working how it should be working," she said. 'It isn't working. If he was in jail, he wouldn't have been able to shoot that officer, but he is out on bail."

The foiled robbery at Scotiabank, East Street and Soldier Road took place shortly after noon on Wednesday. The gunmen stormed the bank, shooting a female officer in the face and a bank customer in the foot in the process. Two of the suspects were later shot by police right before they were captured; however, no one was fatally wounded.

The female officer, identified as Corporal Black, was initially released on Wednesday after being treated but was re-admitted yesterday for observation, Turnquest revealed.

All three suspects are in police custody.

Meantime, Mary Ferguson said the entire situation might have been avoided if Smith was remanded to prison to await trial.

"When they do come out (of prison) they get worse and they do more damage. I don't know who the officer is who was shot, but it could have been her life. They need to do something with the bail system because it isn't working. They are freeing criminals to do more stuff to other people's family. It isn't right. I don't know why he was given bail, but it isn't right. You have a lot of hurting families in The Bahamas," she said.

Ferguson added that the situation brought back painful memories of her slain son.

When asked to comment on the fact that suspected murderers are able to get bail, Turnquest said, "We are concerned about that, but we are satisfied with the evidence in wrapping up this case and the stellar work of police. We believe that we have sufficient evidence and witnesses to deal with this."

Last year, the national security minister revealed that more that 100 suspected murderers were out on bail.

The suspects are expected to be charged by Monday, Assistant Commissioner of Crime Raymond Gibson reported.

Wednesday's heist is the second bank robbery in four weeks.

On June 9, business at the Golden Gates branch of the Commonwealth Bank came to a screeching halt when two unmasked gunmen were able to get away with an undetermined amount of cash. The men are still at large.

Minister Turnquest said he is also concerned with the seemingly increasing number of persons involved in brazen crimes.

"I am concerned that there are a small number of persons who are prepared to continue with criminal activity. We are a small country with under 400,000 people. Each of us know where criminal activity takes place in our country and where infractions in terms of law enforcement take place, and each of us have a responsibility to report to law enforcement officials to ensure that we restore law and order to our society. As long as persons continue to condone wrongdoing, as long as persons continue to purchase stolen goods, as long as persons continue to receive monies ill gotten, then we will continue to have this state of lawlessness," he said.

I'll never forget when I went on my honeymoon to the Bahamas. I turned on theTV to get a view of what is happening and the main thing on the news was the murder of a doctor. At the bar I overheard some of the workers talking about it and when I asked that was either the 2nd or 3rd murder for the year.

Dem time dey we were into the hundreds.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X