X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are going to get tough, PM warns criminals

We are going to get tough, PM warns criminals

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

PRIME Minister Bruce Golding says the Government will be implementing more rigid measures to tackle the country's high rate of crime.

Jamaica House, in a statement issued after meeting with representatives from several Government agencies and international development partners yesterday, said new legislative measures and actions to tackle the country's crime problems would be outlined in Parliament next week.

"We are going to get tough. We might offend the sensitivity of certain groups but the security of the country cannot be compromised," the Jamaica House statement quoted the prime minister.
    Golding said the new measures were necessary and needed to be quickly implemented in order to be effective.

"We have a crime problem that's the second highest in the world and so we need a strong, decisive national security strategy," said Golding.
    So far, almost 800 persons have been murdered since the start of the year, although the monthly murder toll has decreased since May when 199 persons were killed
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Just realize that? Nuh bother wid the announcements ... just get on with it.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Déjà vu?

Was the prime minister pressured by the “international development partners” yesterday? I ask this question because it would be unfortunate if it took outside lending organizations to finally get out leader to implement “more rigid measures to tackle the country’s high crime rate”!!

I can’t help feeling a sense of déjà vu from this announcement. The exact words are slightly different, but the message has been the same for many months now, even long before the appointment of the much-heralded new minister of national security. Truly, Jamaica is merely going round and round in circles as far as measures to effectively tackle crime (and poverty as well) are concerned. Ironically, this Reggae Boyz Forum has seen numerous logical, excellent suggestions made by posters here on how to better fight crime!! Did the government learn anything from its eighteen years in the wilderness?!

I would like to see a country by country breakdown of the statistics which cited the Caribbean as having the second highest level of violent crime of all the regions in the world! I say this because surely Jamaica must have played an embarrassingly significant role in causing the Caribbean to be so highly placed!

Life in Jamaica is like an unwanted circus that won’t end it’s run!

Comment

The PM should stop talking and start acting. It seems the politicians want the status quo as it not that hard to crack down. What is happening in J.A is not unique we just need people with balls to make the right decisions.

Comment

Deja me too! Let's just do it. The police big wigs need to make sure that they keep abuse to its utmost minimum, but get on with the work and bring back our country!

Stand by JFJ, some tings yuh won't like just because, some tings yuh need to speak out against, vehemently. Let us all play our part!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I guess we need the "concentration camps" now.
            Somalia and haiti is sing that Otis Redding song.

Comment

Working...
            X