Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insults fly at KSAC meeting

Tuesday, 08 July 2008

Fireworks erupted in the monthly meeting of the Kingston and St. Andrew Corporation (KSAC) on Tuesday prompting a dramatic walk-out by councillors of the People's National Party (PNP).
    Tempers flared between councillors of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) dominated KSAC after Councillor John Myers in a debate on crime and violence mistakenly made reference to the JLP supporting crime and violence.

It was during his presentation in council chambers that JLP councillors reportedly heckled their political counterparts about nightmares in making direct reference to a speech given by PNP leader Portia Simpson-Miller at the party's conference last year.

Tempers flared when Chairman, Desmond McKenzie denounced irresponsible comments about crime and threatened to call off the debate.
    "I don't want to hear about whether it is nightmare or day-mare [sic]. Let us deal with the issue and deal with it in a responsible way and if I get that kind of response I am going to suspend the debate," said Mr. McKenzie.

However, things took a turn for the worse when Councillor Roselea Hamilton of the Rae Town Division was invited to contribute to the crime debate and while doing so referred to her experience .
    Ms Hamilton and PNP minority Leader Angella Brown-Burke then traded insults.

"I am a victim of violence and I wear a colour, I wear green. I was not shot because I am involved in corruption nor any form of crime but because I wear the colour green," said Ms. Hamilton.
    As the melee continued angry PNP councillors stormed out of the meeting.
    However, Mr. McKenzie managed to restore order and the meeting with the JLP councillors continued.

And in a release issued on Friday evening, Mayor McKenzie has apologised to minority leader, councillor Angella Brown Burke for comments made about her connection with crime in the Corporate Area by JLP councillor Rosalea Hamilton during Tuesday's council meeting.

Councillor Hamilton is said to have made defamatory comments alleging connection to crime in the Corporate Area.
    In a letter Mayor McKenzie dissociated the Council from the remarks and apologised for the comments.

He says "I apologise unreservedly for any embarrassment these comments may have caused you and I am advising you that I intend to fully pursue this matter and will use my office to ensure that this does not happen again."
    Mayor McKenzie is also calling on Councillor Hamilton to withdraw her comment and make a public apology to Councillor Brown Burke.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Rosalea Hamilton?!! mi shocked!!!! bwoy look what politics do to rosalea....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sketel to di max! I wonder if Clovis was a watch?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

NO!!!!!!??? no sah...must be someone else......is that Dr. Rosalea Hamilton?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Councillor. Is she doctor too? The behaviour was reprehensible!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

she has a PhD in economics and is a lawyer to boot. it CANNOT be the rosalea that i know.....i REFUSE to believe that especially where the skettel lable is concerned. mi haffi si it fuss!

Comment

I find it hard to believe she is a lawyer or someone with a PhD. I guess they don't have a decorum course in that program. If Portia did ever gwaan suh, as Leader of the Opposition, PM, or MP, Clovis woulda have har skin out pon Knutsford Blvd.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is that her? PLEASE say no!

Comment

That's a glamour pic. She never quite look so when she wenna trace off di people dem.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i don't believe you. i have to see it for myself!

Comment

lawks, look what she come tuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh a fool wid yuh "lawks". Tek two shot an si how yuh wouda feel........

Comment

Wrong Rosalea..

LOL !!

Yuh tink if former Prime Minister advisor did pick up shot it woulda juss suh ?

But to even ponder it only highights how bad tings are in yard.

Mi haffi run dis one by her cousin !

"Is what Rosalee a gwaan wid !, mi tink she recover from di gunshot !"

LOL !!

Comment

Great! Cause di odda one a real sketel!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

my FAITH has been restored!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X