(Jangle) Jamaica and the Bahamas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Jangle) Jamaica and the Bahamas

Jangle, to say that your description of your vacation in the Bahamas is “nice” would be to make the understatement of the year! Your post, “The Haitians are Fast Becoming the New Jamaicans” is really good descriptive prose, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading every sentence of both posts! They deserve publishing in a Jamaican newspaper, in my opinion, and I wish I could see more of this type of writing here on the forum!

Aside from the fact that I absolutely enjoyed reading your post, I have a couple of comments to make on it.

I love your headline (“The Haitians are Fast Becoming the New Jamaicans”), and I’m not sure how much Jamaicans realize the reality of this! The guns for drugs trade between Haiti and Jamaica involve a great deal of human smuggling as well. The truth is that not every Haitian is concerned about going north; some just want to go anywhere in order to get away from their troubled homeland. Not everyone can go across the dangerous border into the Dominican Republic, and not everyone has the cash or the guts to risk the dangerous voyage by sea and ocean into the Bahamas or the Turks & Caicos Islands or the USA. So for many, the trip across the relatively calm Caribbean Sea into Jamaica is as good an option as any. Marrying a poor Jamaican man, with Jamaica’s liberal citizenship laws, can make the difference to a desperate Haitian woman.

In your vivid account of your trip to the Bahamas, you stated that the bank robber was caught. This is interesting, particularly when you compare it with Jamaican police’s clearing up rate of some 35-percent of violent crimes (or is it 35-percent of homicides?). As far as a criminal getting away from either country is concerned, it is surely much more difficult to patrol the borders of the Bahamas archipelago when compared with that of Jamaica, so…..

Question: Is it accurate to state that, in the case of Bahamas beaches, there are “not as many as Jamaica”? Remember that the Bahamas is made up of some 700 islands and cays. You mentioned Paradise Island and Nassau (main city of the island of New Providence) in your report, but what about other islands that are even more famous for their beaches, including Eleuthera, Harbour Island, Abaco, etc.?

Regarding Jamaican dance moves, I suspect that the average Bahamian teen, like his/her counterpart elsewhere in the Caribbean, knows a great deal about the latest Jamaican dance moves. The economically well-off Bahamas has one of the deepest Internet penetration of any country in the world, and so the average Bahamian youth will be exposed to whatever he/she wants to see, including YouTube. There are also those sickeningly pervasive Passa Passa DVDs, which seem to be, unfortunately (for Jamaica) available a dime a dozen throughout the Cartibbean region! Then, there is the television music station “Tempo” (previously owned by MTV), which broadcasts to almost thirty Caribbean countries. Finally, a plethora of reggae artists regularly hold sold-out concerts in that country (to cite an example, the Marley brothers are always advertising their big December concerts in the Bahamas, which feature a lot of Jamaican guest artists). Also, from what I know, Beres Hammond in particular is a hero there, with almost legendary status.

Regarding the fastest growing industry in the world, the tourism industry, Jamaicans are NOT tourism people in the truest sense. For one, far too many Jamaicans (including many educated ones who should know better) confuse “service” with “servitude” (a Jamaican parliamentarian amazingly attempted to link tourism with servitude sometime back in the 1990s). In addition, the vital importance of the tourism industry to Jamaica has not, to this day, adequately penetrated the minds and communities of most Jamaicans, and so crude hustling is the order of the day as many see it as simply a way to make a quick buck.

Bahamians and Turks Islanders, on the other hand, with virtually no other major industry except for the service industries tourism and banking (salt production in the case of the Bahamas is one of the handful of exceptions), realize fully the essential meaning and importance of “service.” Added to this is the fact that tourism has been the mainstay of the economy of the Bahamas since the early twentieth century.

Ed Bartlett has seemingly been doing an outstanding job so far in Jamaica, but underneath it all I suspect that Jamaicans, from government ministers and business people down to the ordinary man on the street, need to have a tourism culture more deeply embedded in their consciousness. Only then will Jamaica, despite its myriad attractions, truly become a world class tourism destination. At the moment, it’s anything but that!

Good post. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

"I love your headline (“The Haitians are Fast Becoming the New Jamaicans”), and I’m not sure how much Jamaicans realize the reality of this! The guns for drugs trade between Haiti and Jamaica involve a great deal of human smuggling as well. The truth is that not every Haitian is concerned about going north; some just want to go anywhere in order to get away from their troubled homeland. Not everyone can go across the dangerous border into the Dominican Republic, and not everyone has the cash or the guts to risk the dangerous voyage by sea and ocean into the Bahamas or the Turks & Caicos Islands or the USA. So for many, the trip across the relatively calm Caribbean Sea into Jamaica is as good an option as any. Marrying a poor Jamaican man, with Jamaica’s liberal citizenship laws, can make the difference to a desperate Haitian woman."

I didn't expound on my headline and I was sort of waiting on someone to question it. However, your statement above basically explained it. I remember some years ago I was in a taxi (I believe it was in Manhattan, my memory is going) and in speaking with the driver I detected an accent. When I asked him where he was from, he said Jamaica. I was a bit skeptical because even though it sounded Jamaican it was a little bit off, but to the average American he would have passed. I proceeded to grill him about where in Jamaica he was from, our music and our culture. Amazingly, he was able to speak with a fair amount of knowledge on all topics which again would fool the average non-Jamaican. It was after a more intense questioning did he finally confessed that he was Haitian and had never been to Jamaica. He said he learnt everything about Jamaica and her culture mainly through listening to our music which is very descriptive. I thought to myself it is so easy for any immigrant from a Caribbean country to pass themselves off as Jamaicans here in the USA. To the average US citizen who has never lived or come into daily contact with Jamaicans, once you are black and have a Caribbean accent...then you are Jamaican. Many other West Indians are quick to call themselves Jamaicans when speaking with such an American because our name, culture and achievements are more recognisable than theirs. The down side is of course when they do something wrong and are labelled as Jamaicans. The Hiatians come readily to mind.

"As far as a criminal getting away from either country is concerned, it is surely much more difficult to patrol the borders of the Bahamas archipelago when compared with that of Jamaica, so….."

Most of these islands are inhabitable.

"Question: Is it accurate to state that, in the case of Bahamas beaches, there are “not as many as Jamaica”? Remember that the Bahamas is made up of some 700 islands and cays. You mentioned Paradise Island and Nassau (main city of the island of New Providence) in your report, but what about other islands that are even more famous for their beaches, including Eleuthera, Harbour Island, Abaco, etc.?"

I only commuted between Nassau, Paradise Island and I took the day trip to Robinson Crusoe Island, so my comment about the many beaches was restricted to those places. However, even though they may have more beaches than us, they are not easily accessible and as such, not a big money maker for them.

Regarding the dance moves; I am sure they would know a few of ours, but i never saw them doing any. Even though I am a fan of Beres Hammond, at the fish fry, they were killing his music on the big speaker boxes. I heard a mixture of mainly hip-hop, Jonkoonoo (which is a cross between New Orleans Jazz and soca), soca and of course Reggae. One night there was a Jonkoonoo marching band playing music along the promenade beside the Atlantis, and I observed some youths dancing. Their moves were comical to say the least, but then, we can say the same thing about some of our dance moves. It reminded me of watching some old drunk men dancing as a bwoy.

Your comment about how we view "service" vs "servitude" is spot on. The young gentleman who did the Time Share presentation to us, as part of his questionaire, asked us where we vacationed last year (Jamaica) and what we liked the least (the hustling) about it. He said that we were the fifth couple that said the same thing about Jamaica since week. He said the comments usually started off with "the people are so nice, BUT.....". He was also a Jamaican.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Good Response, Jangle

I was wondering also why, in their posts made yesterday, no one questioned the headline you wrote, "The Haitians Are Fast Becoming the New Jamaicans"), in particular looking at the fact that you did really make much effort in linking it to your descriptive account of experiences in the Bahamas.

Your account of that Haitian driver in New York is interesting, but unfortunately not an isolated case (as you correctly pointed out). I recall reading a newspaper in Jamaica back in the 1980s and seeing an explanation by a New York chief of police where he stated that very often people in New York (including the police) mistakenly think that all Caribbean accents are Jamaican. He was explaining that not every "Jamaican" arrested and charged with a crime was in fact Jamaican. From my experience, it is very easy to mistakenly feel that someone from, say St Kitts, Belize and St Vincent are Jamaicans.

Thanks for an interesting reply!

Comment

antigua too...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          Then, there is the television music station “Tempo” (previously owned by MTV), which broadcasts to almost thirty Caribbean countries.
          Too many Trinis on that channel. There is a particular Trini chick that is quite delic...nice, however, the one with the locks. That voice! Odda dan dat....bleccchh!

Nice post, doh, Historian. I have long said to hell with diversification. I believe Jamaica could push for being a tourist island, as are Cayman, Bahamas, Barbados, etc. Yes, wi nuh need fi plant nutten! Import all a dat and mek wi serve wi guest dem till dem pocket bruk!

Did I "formally" welcome you back? Yuh have returned with a bang. Can't quite remember you posting so voluminously back in the day.

Welcome back, Historian. Dancehall (much of it) still nice!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have a Haitian friend in NY who knows more about Jamaica than many Jamaicans. When I visit NY he is telling me things about my own country! He has locks and all and apart from the "w" sound he makes for "r"s, one could never tell he is not from yard. And him never set foot on di island!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

my bredrin from colombia was the same thing...i remember a girl from nicargua once asked me where in africa jamaica was....she know of and about jamaica but thought it was in africa....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

met her twice in person and it was a let down...har foot dem maaga and shi well short.....

Comment

Oh no! Yuh sure is di same one? Mind yuh a mek mistake like how mi mek mistake wid Rosalea dis mawnin!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

her moniker begins with the title "empress"...?

Comment

Yes, Too Many Trinis on Tempo!

Thanks for the welcome, Mosiah. And yes, you did welcome me back a few days ago (LOL). Also, you’re correct when you said that in the past, my volume of postings was nowhere what it has been since I returned a few days ago.

Let me say this though: Even when I don’t agree with you, I will always respect you for your “Jamaica-first” attitude! We need more committed, nationalistic Jamaicans like you!

Now to Tempo: I fully agree with you about Tempo and the unbalanced Trinidadian influence right now!! I heard that MTV sold Tempo back in December 2007 to its founder, the ubiquitous Frederick Morton, Jr. and other investors. I strongly suspect that those other investors are Trinidadians, hence the dramatically increased Trini culture on that station.

The Jamaican connection is seemingly slowly being severed from Tempo, and I notice that, for example, the beautiful Anushka (Jamaican French teacher Anushka Walton) is no longer a co-host with Tempo. Also, Jabba’s “Pull Up Selecta” is not as prominent as it was before.

When Tempo first started back in late 2005, aside from its attractive, dreadlocked host Jeanille Bonterre, there was a lack of Trinidadian influence. In fact, the same three Trini videos (“We Not Givin’ Up,” by Machel Montano featuring Doug E. Fresh, one by Shurwayne Winchester, and another by a guy who’s name I can’t recall right now) were constantly being repeated to the point where I wondered if there was a vibrant music industry in Trinidad! The fact is that early Tempo depended on a mixture of Jamaican and American music videos (with a little Puerto Rican “reggaeton” thrown in) for its existence.

Comment

Working...
                      X