Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Permits for Non-Jamaicans

WORKING IN JAMAICA

The employment of non-Jamaicans in Jamaica is governed by the Foreign Nationals and Commonwealth Citizens (Employment) Act, 1964, which seeks to ensure that qualified Jamaicans are given first consideration in employment opportunities. At the same time, it is recognized that the expertise needed for economic development is not always available because of shortage in the supply of certain special skills.

Non-Jamaicans seeking employment in Jamaica are required to obtain work permits. Work permits are granted at the discretion of the Minister of Labour, 1F North Street, Kingston, Jamaica, W.I.

Commonwealth Citizens may apply for work permits after arrival in Jamaica and for such holders of work permits their relatives over 18 years of age, with special skills, may also apply for work permits.

Non-Commonwealth citizens must apply for a work permit prior to arrival in Jamaica. United States citizens are considered non-Commonwealth citizens (i.e. foreigners or aliens) since the United States of America is not a member country of the British Commonwealth of Nations’ organization. United States citizens are therefore required to ensure that work permits are obtained before applying for work visas at either a Jamaican Embassy or Consulate.

Application forms, obtainable at the Government Printing Office, must be completed, signed and submitted by the prospective employer and must be accompanied by the required documentation including proof by the prospective employer that the vacancy was advertised and did not attract any suitably qualified Jamaicans.

WORK VISAS

Work visas are issued solely on the basis of evidence of a confirmed job offer. Documentation to be presented on application in this regard are:

a) valid national passport;

b) original letter from organization affirming job offer;
    original work permit approval signed by or on behalf of the Minister of Labour;

c) completed visa application form accompanied by one (1)
    passport-size photograph.

EXEMPTION FROM WORK PERMITS

Spouses of Jamaican nationals may be exempted from Work Permits on application accompanied by:

a) certificate of marriage; in cases where a previous marriage occurred, a Decree Absolute is required to be presented;

b) proof of Jamaican citizenship enjoyed by spouse, however acquired;

c) passport of each spouse and passport-size photograph of each;

d) declaration by both spouses that they share the same matrimonial home.

The Ministry of Labour must be informed of change of residence from one parish to another by all foreigners employed in Jamaica.

who you post that fa? HL?

Sorry mi brethren that one couldn't pass, Mi know Mo and Gamma a laugh.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      The employment of non-Jamaicans in Jamaica is governed by the Foreign Nationals and Commonwealth Citizens (Employment) Act, 1964, which seeks to ensure that qualified Jamaicans are given first consideration in employment opportunities. At the same time, it is recognized that the expertise needed for economic development is not always available because of shortage in the supply of certain special skills.
      Well unless di local stripper dem can become "white" or "hispanic" dem inna problems

Comment

No, Definitely Not HL

Assasin, I've never had a problem with HL, and I doubt if I ever will.

The "work permit" post was made for those who apparently don't see the problem with having foreigners paying to illegally enter Jamaica, and then to add insult to injury cause a conflict with born-Jamaican women over the matter of dancing in exotic clubs!!

And to even suggest that I took my stance because the women are "black" and are "Haitians" is something that I personally find insulting! Whether the person is American, or Russian, or Swedish, or Haitian, or Barbadian, or Colombian, the principle of Jamaica-for-Jamaicans-first has to be recognized and adhered to at all times! To trivialize this with reference to sex is even more insensitive, as many of those Jamaican women who dance for a living are forced to do so because Jamaica has been cursed with having some of the most incompetent and uncaring wretches as politicians for decades!

I hope no one brings up the whole comic episode of CARICOM and the CSME, as you will be walking right into my trap and forcing me to begin a fresh thread on this fallacy! Jamaicans have to be given first preference in the country of their birth as long as they are fully qualified for the job at hand! There can be no two ways about this principle!

When I see Jamaicans on this forum seeing nothing terribly wrong with this situation of Jamaican women been forced to fight with foreigners in Jamaica over positions that could be easily and willingly filled by Jamaican women, then I too am tempted to adopt HL's posture!

Comment

I was just joking. HL is a good brethren and once in a while we hang out and HL is dedicated to good Jamaican causes.

That is why I love the forum because when we meet it is just different people and different vibes.

I know HL can take a jab anyday. I only did it because Mo and Gamma often accuse him of not been Jamaican.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            Assasin, I've never had a problem with HL, and I doubt if I ever will.

The "work permit" post was made for those who apparently don't see the problem with having foreigners paying to illegally enter Jamaica, and then to add insult to injury cause a conflict with born-Jamaican women over the matter of dancing in exotic clubs!!

And to even suggest that I took my stance because the women are "black" and are "Haitians" is something that I personally find insulting! Whether the person is American, or Russian, or Swedish, or Haitian, or Barbadian, or Colombian, the principle of Jamaica-for-Jamaicans-first has to be recognized and adhered to at all times! To trivialize this with reference to sex is even more insensitive, as many of those Jamaican women who dance for a living are forced to do so because Jamaica has been cursed with having some of the most incompetent and uncaring wretches as politicians for decades!

I hope no one brings up the whole comic episode of CARICOM and the CSME, as you will be walking right into my trap and forcing me to begin a fresh thread on this fallacy! Jamaicans have to be given first preference in the country of their birth as long as they are fully qualified for the job at hand! There can be no two ways about this principle!

When I see Jamaicans on this forum seeing nothing terribly wrong with this situation of Jamaican women been forced to fight with foreigners in Jamaica over positions that could be easily and willingly filled by Jamaican women, then I too am tempted to adopt HL's posture!
            But Historian, the article didn't say that the Haitians were getting the jobs at the expenxe of the Jamaicans. It said that the patrons were more responsive to them than the Jamaicans. Plus dem cheapa!
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Mi waan know how much touching is allowed locally. In the land of Uncle Sam it is hands off and yuh can not touch dem, but dem can touch you. Nuttin is wrang wid having an appetite fi touching other nationalities every now & then.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                Mi waan know how much touching is allowed locally. In the land of Uncle Sam it is hands off and yuh can not touch dem, but dem can touch you. Nuttin is wrang wid having an appetite fi touching other nationalities every now & then.
                Basically no restrictions...well back in my days. I'd like to give a special shout out to the very distinguished establishment - Palais Royale!!!! They had a very nice pool table there.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Jangle, "Cheaper" Means Something!

Jangle, let us backtrack. So, if teachers and doctors were coming into Jamaica and offering their services at 'cheaper" rates, we should accept them and get rid of the Jamaicans because they are too expensive? This is a dangerous thought. Trust me, the Haitians WILL offer their services at much cheaper rates than the average Jamaican, who is used to a somewhat higher standard of living. The Haitians, coming from the utter misery that Haiti, unfortunately, is at the present time, will offer their services at unbelievably cheap rates.

And trust me, the Haitian dancers are most likely getting thier jobs at the expense of Jamaicans (although, I must confess, this is conjecture on my part at the moment).

Following this reasoning, though, we should flood Jamaica with the cheapest labour at the expense of mothers who have children to feed and school.

I really don't care about the patrons being "more responsive." We have to have guidelines to protect the jobs of Jamaicans, even if we are talking about an unsavoury industry such as that of exotic dancing!

Boss, revisit the problems surrounding the much proclaimed Caribbean single Market & Economy (CSME), and check out one of the major problems why locals in so many Caribbean territories, especially the better off ones like Barbados, Trinidad, the Bahamas and St Lucia, look at this whole free movement idea with so much resentment! It surrounds, to some extent, the belief that tthe immigrants will grab up available jobs, and not only because they might be more qualified, but also because many locals feel that the arrivals will be from depressed economies, and will thus be willing to offer their services at significantly cheaper rates. The experience of USA workers after the establishment of NAFTA bears out the truth of this danger!

Comment

Put it this way, dem nuh mek dem money from stripping

Comment

Working...
                    X