Letter - An All-Time Classic!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter - An All-Time Classic!!

I had to dig deep into the archives for this one.
    Source: The Daily Gleaner, Mon. July 30, 2001

Divide Jamaica between the JLP and PNP

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    AFTER CONSIDERABLE thought I believe that I have discovered the perfect solution to bring an end to tribal politics and political antagonism in Jamaica. The clear and obvious solution is to divide the island into two halves giving one half to the JLP and the other to the PNP.

Based upon the predominance of political supporters at this time, I further suggest that the PNP be given the parishes of St. Catherine, Kingston, St. Andrew, St. Thomas, Portland, St. Mary and St. Ann, and the JLP be given the balance which are Trelawny, St. James, Hanover, Westmorland, St. Elizabeth, Manchester and Clarendon. The two sectors are relatively equal in area and each has an international airport, major wharf, cruise ship ports, a bauxite plant and a north and south coast, among other attributes.

Port Antonio will at last get the tourist boost it needs. A major road can be constructed from the Norman Manley airport right through the mountains to Port Antonio. Having done so, once a person lives in the particular sector he or she must remain loyal to the government of the sector. At the commencement of 'the great divide' those currently in a sector that they do not support can sell out or swap with others in a similar position in the other sector and move. A great wall can then be built extending to a reasonable distance in the sea at both ends dividing the two sectors and manned by security personnel from both sectors.

To visit another sector one must get a visa very much like visiting the United States and other countries. Of course permanent migration can also take place if one falls out of favour in his or her sector, but again the usual procedures must be followed whereby one satisfies the authorities of the immigrant sector as to his or her suitability to be admitted as an immigrant.

Each sector will have their own currency and collect their own taxes and administer the affairs of the sector. There will be no need for an army in either sector as a competent police force would suffice. Each sector will have its own justice system which will put an end to the current debate on the Caribbean Court of Justice. The PNP will have the CCJ and the JLP has the Privy Council as their final courts of appeal.

Of course there can be trading between the two sectors but it is understood that yams and potatoes from Manchester in the JLP sector will have to be fumigated before entering the PNP sector and vice versa for bananas from St. Mary to the JLP sector.

The two sectors will see unparalleled growth and development as they compete with each other to prove the efficiency of their management skills and political dogma. There will be no more Tivolis, Concrete Jungles, Remas etc. and Senior Superintendent Reneto Adams will not be branded as a PNP hatchet man.

We can also expect crime to be reduced significantly in each sector due to growth and development and the end to tribal conflicts. In fact we could see total employment once again as in the days of slavery and might even have to import labour.

The only problem I can perceive in the proposal is to get the PNP and the JLP to sit down and agree to the concept. As soon as I find an answer to this I will communicate with you again.

I am etc.,
    AL RICHARDS alrichards@cwjamaica.com

secession?!!! it's so crazy it just might work.....however invariably there would be "raids" into each other's territories and attempts and destabilising not unlike the lenin/trotsky divide....

my solution, a benevolent dictator.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      secession?!!! it's so crazy it just might work.....however invariably there would be "raids" into each other's territories and attempts and destabilising not unlike the lenin/trotsky divide....

my solution, a benevolent dictator.....
      Raids? Joke dat!
      Declaration of and fighting of wars!
      A wah duh yuh?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

what eventually happened to trotsky in mexico? yuh memba?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

As long as di Reggae Boyz is in my 'alf!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

~snicker~ ...(with reference to the article...and those whose blood pressure got high when i posted a similar idea some years ago).
            Last edited by HL; July 8, 2008, 10:40 AM.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Keep dem, I will tek the track team! LoL

Comment

Agree with you, Willi (LOL)

Like you, "I will tek the track team" (and maybe the women's netball team too).

Comment

no yuh too greedy...women's netball is MINE!!!!!!

Comment

Di war bruk out arready!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Can Portland and St.Mary get independence please?

Even the Rasta Party would be fine.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Maybe you could run for mayor for both parishes!!!
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                        X